Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohme Home Pro + Intelligent Octopus stops charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I had a Ohme Home Pro installed and switched to IO and I've had charging stop prematurely since I purchased my M3. Scheduling is off in Tesla app, Ohme controls that with a custom schedule set between 11:30 and 05:30. It charges for a few minutes then turns off for the remainder of the schedule.

This happens every time I charge and Im finding I have to wake up and mess around with the schedule to get it to charge again, once I do that it completes the charge.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Hi,

I had a Ohme Home Pro installed and switched to IO and I've had charging stop prematurely since I purchased my M3. Scheduling is off in Tesla app, Ohme controls that with a custom schedule set between 11:30 and 05:30. It charges for a few minutes then turns off for the remainder of the schedule.

This happens every time I charge and Im finding I have to wake up and mess around with the schedule to get it to charge again, once I do that it completes the charge.

Any ideas?

Thank you
So is Octopus set up to control using the car or the Ohme?

You shouldn't have a 'schedule' anywhere, IO will tell either the car or the charger when to start and when to stop in order to give you the charge you want by the time you need the car, nothing else should be trying to control it. While 23:30 - 05:30 is a cheap rate Octopus will choose when to charge your car, it may be some of this time or could be outside it (still at the cheaper rate).

If your car starts charging sometime when Octopus don't want you to be charging then it will tell it to stop within a few minutes, which sounds like what you are describing.

Reactions: Shamone
Hi,

Any ideas?

Thank you

Thanks, my Ohme schedule is set for 80% departure at 05:30 every day. Ive also set the cars max charge to 80% in the Tesla app.
None of this makes any sense.

If you onboarded IO with Ohme, you should not have any schedules set in the car. With Ohme integration you are setting the % charge you want to ADD (not the target % figure showing in the car) by the time you specify. All Ohme scheduled charging will be charged at off-peak rates.

There is absolutely no need to be curtailing schedules to fall within an artificial window, unless of course you really do need to leave at 5:30am.

So is Octopus set up to control using the car or the Ohme?

You shouldn't have a 'schedule' anywhere, IO will tell either the car or the charger when to start and when to stop in order to give you the charge you want by the time you need the car, nothing else should be trying to control it. While 23:30 - 05:30 is a cheap rate Octopus will choose when to charge your car, it may be some of this time or could be outside it (still at the cheaper rate).

If your car starts charging sometime when Octopus don't want you to be charging then it will tell it to stop within a few minutes, which sounds like what you are describing.

Thanks both

I onboarded IO with the charger which was connected to the car and it completed a test charge, when I go into Octopus app it states that Ohme controls the EV charging.

So I think I understand what you are both saying, Ive removed the schedules in Ohme App, just plugged it in (14:30) and its started charging, on the Ohme app dashboard it shows "Smart Charging" Charge to full asap which I assume because its smart its charging at the lower unit rate. With regards the charge target, it notifies me that the Ohme app has adjusted the charge target to meet the vehicles settings (80%).

I wrongly assumed that because IO states that 11:30-5:30 window I had to set that as the schedule or I would pay higher rates. So basically I can just plug it in at say 6pm or whatever and by 7am it should have charged to the desired target at the cheapest unit rate?

Should I set any max unit rates under target session such as dont charge above X p/kWh?

Thanks both

I onboarded IO with the charger which was connected to the car and it completed a test charge, when I go into Octopus app it states that Ohme controls the EV charging.

So I think I understand what you are both saying, Ive removed the schedules in Ohme App, just plugged it in (14:30) and its started charging, on the Ohme app dashboard it shows "Smart Charging" Charge to full asap which I assume because its smart its charging at the lower unit rate. With regards the charge target, it notifies me that the Ohme app has adjusted the charge target to meet the vehicles settings (80%).

I wrongly assumed that because IO states that 11:30-5:30 window I had to set that as the schedule or I would pay higher rates. So basically I can just plug it in at say 6pm or whatever and by 7am it should have charged to the desired target at the cheapest unit rate?

Should I set any max unit rates under target session such as dont charge above X p/kWh?
Best advice I can offer is from the guy who runs the specific Ohme integration group on FB
1695736624120.png

Also, do not set any max unit rates

Thanks both

I can't really reference how it works on the Ohme charger, mine is connected to the Tesla directly rather than the charger. I would expect you would still see the Device section in the Octopus App that would tell you when it's chosen to charge the car.

Normally it would only do that after 4pm, that's when it works out the slots you'll get for today.

I can't really reference how it works on the Ohme charger, mine is connected to the Tesla directly rather than the charger. I would expect you would still see the Device section in the Octopus App that would tell you when it's chosen to charge the car.

Normally it would only do that after 4pm, that's when it works out the slots you'll get for today.
That would be an incorrect assumption on both counts. Ohme integration is quite different to vehicle API integration and the time slots it generates are usually very different (and more generous) than Tesla API integration.

Hi,

Any ideas?

Thank you
Remove your Tesla from Ohme. Use a generic car with a massive battery and range. Set it to "Max Charge" and disable all schedules, etc., in Ohme.

On the Tesla, set your charge to the desired %. Then set IO to 100%. It won't like this, but by doing so it will continously allow additional top-up charges.

After plugging in, you should see a schedule in the IO app after about 5 minutes. Sometimes, you'll even get little bonus low-rate peak charging schedules since IO will schedule peak charges any time the grid rate is low enough...even though you have a ~29p peak rate.

After that, only use the Ohme app to reset the pod if there are any issues with the pod sucha as red light, etc. The IO app needs the charger (any charger) to be a dumb charger so that it can do its thing.

Don't bother looking at Ohme

Best advice I can offer is from the guy who runs the specific Ohme integration group on FB
View attachment 977296

Also, do not set any max unit rates
I see this and understand it but data is misleading, I have Homeassistant and the Octopus integration, this sets a flag when IO is offering cheap rate (known as Intelligent dispatching, apparently) I also have a split CT on the feed to my Ohme so I can see exactly when it's pulling power, both graphed:
1700477837829.png

So I hope that the Octopus data is no longer accurate, or I'm going to be one miffed IO customer :(