Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Made the right call upgrading from EAP to FSD for 2k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I paid the 2k for the FSD update Sunday (had EAP only before). I thought it was a good price for future enhancements and hardware upgrade. I also understand that everyone may not feel that way. If FSD becomes something really good and in the not too distant future, the price may raise even more than the current 5k. I feel sort of like one of the people on Shark Tank, expecting a big bang product and investing early.

Reactions: RachH
AND no I did not go for the 2k incentive because I think they will need to give me HW3 even for EAP to work as originally advertised.

Elon explicitly said HW3 is not required for EAP, only for FSD- so no you won't be getting that.

Other than advanced summon (out to EAP testers now) and maybe no-confirmation lane changes during the current NoA, you're done. Feature complete to coin a term. All on current 2.5 HW.

Elon explicitly said HW3 is not required for EAP, only for FSD- so no you won't be getting that.

Other than advanced summon (out to EAP testers now) and maybe no-confirmation lane changes during the current NoA, you're done. Feature complete to coin a term. All on current 2.5 HW.
NOA is still long ways from working.
Reading speed signs is also not working.
I also would not mind getting Dashcam and 360 degree views working (as promised)

Note I have AP2.0

I also would not mind getting Dashcam and 360 degree views working (as promised)

Note I have AP2.0
Doesn't another company have a patent on reading speed limit signs using cameras?

NoA had a bit improvement with 15.5. It amazed me last night as freeway transitions that have never worked before suddenly worked perfectly. It could still be better of course.

It works right now. It might not work as well as you want, but it's functional.

I drove home this evening roughly 50 miles... About 45 of which was on a couple of highways. NOA on the entire time, and I did not have to intervene at all for any of it apart from confirming lane changes.

Transitioned between the 2 highways perfectly, took the appropriate exit ramp at the end... even made perfectly reasonable lane suggestions along the way (though to be fair traffic was light).

So on ramp to off ramp, as promised (minus needing to confirm lane changes, which we know is coming to EAP cars in the next update that early access folks already have)

Nor is it supposed to. That's not a listed feature of EAP and AFAIK never was.

Neither of those were ever promised as part of EAP either.

(if you mean like a 360 overhead parking view- that's physically impossible on a Tesla based on camera type and placement)

It works right now. It might not work as well as you want, but it's functional.

I drove home this evening roughly 50 miles... About 45 of which was on a couple of highways. NOA on the entire time, and I did not have to intervene at all for any of it apart from confirming lane changes.

Transitioned between the 2 highways perfectly, took the appropriate exit ramp at the end... even made perfectly reasonable lane suggestions along the way (though to be fair traffic was light).

So on ramp to off ramp, as promised (minus needing to confirm lane changes, which we know is coming to EAP cars in the next update that early access folks already have)

Nor is it supposed to. That's not a listed feature of EAP and AFAIK never was.

Neither of those were ever promised as part of EAP either.

(if you mean like a 360 overhead parking view- that's physically impossible on a Tesla based on camera type and placement)
AP1 reads speed signs and windshield wipers work correctly....I guess we are still waiting for HW2 to reach parity 2 1/2 years later.
As far as "360" views of better ParkAssist views most cars have it..hey my Bolt has that with only 2 cameras.

So for example my bill of sale said windshield wipers are supposed to be automatic but they are obviously and certifiably not very reliable ...give me HW3 then or whatever sensor will make this work.

AP1 reads speed signs and windshield wipers work correctly....I guess we are still waiting for HW2 to reach parity 2 1/2 years later.

So, first, the wipers have nothing to do with AP, so that's a weird non-sequitor.

AP2 reading signs was never a feature, so not sure why you're "waiting" for something nobody promised you. AP2 uses a speed limit database in the computer.

Apart from that most owners, including those with both 1 and 2, find 2 exceeded 1s overall competency and capabilities some time ago.

A
As far as "360" views of better ParkAssist views most cars have it..hey my Bolt has that with only 2 cameras.

Again- not only is this not a feature ever promised for AP (any version) it's physically impossible to offer in a Tesla because of the type and placement of cameras.

So it seems like all the things you're upset AP2 didn't get yet are things it was never supposed to have, or aren't part of AP at all.

AP1
So for example my bill of sale said windshield wipers are supposed to be automatic but they are obviously and certifiably not very reliable ...give me HW3 then or whatever sensor will make this work.

A $2 rain sensor like every other auto-wiper car in the last 15-20 years have (and older Teslas have) would fix that.

But again it has 0 to do with autopilot features.

A $2 rain sensor like every other auto-wiper car in the last 15-20 years have (and older Teslas have) would fix that.

But again it has 0 to do with autopilot features.
I will not keep arguing with you about reading speed signs, but seems pretty essential and basic to TACC and AP...my car routinely slams the brakes on the highway near overpasses because its "database" thinks I am on the overpass (which has a lower speed limit)

AP2 runs on HW2 and by some report the windshield wiper vision based control takes 30 percent of the cpu at times.

Are you saying that Tesla should retrofit my car (as per bill of Sale) with a rain sensor so I am satisfied...or should they stick with a vision based software and get it to work eventually?

I got AP (not EAP) for $2K, I'm happy with it but it'd be nice to have it change lanes when I use the turn signal. Maybe in the next year or two, if Tesla is in another panic near the end of a financial quarter and needs to drag more cash out of us the Tesla owners, and they decide to have a super sale on FSD I will get it, but I'll have to see a lot of progress on FSD first. I want to see it handle a 4 way stop sign intersection (not a 4 way red light).
Or a roundabout.

I will not keep arguing with you about reading speed signs, but seems pretty essential and basic to TACC and AP...my car routinely slams the brakes on the highway near overpasses because its "database" thinks I am on the overpass (which has a lower speed limit)

Weird...never had that happen and I drive like 70 miles a day on highways with plenty of overpasses....

AP2 runs on HW2 and by some report the windshield wiper vision based control takes 30 percent of the cpu at times.

...which reports? I haven't seen them but would love to- do you have a link?

Are you saying that Tesla should retrofit my car (as per bill of Sale) with a rain sensor so I am satisfied...or should they stick with a vision based software and get it to work eventually?

Personally? Having owned several cars with the $2 rain sensor that worked flawless 100% of the time I think Tesla should've just stuck with that, not like they didn't have 5000 other things they needed to get right with the vision system, why reinvent the wheel?

Bit late now though.

Either way it's not a feature of AP, EAP, or FSD, so not really relevant to the discussion.

That database is garbage, for the record.

That said, it’s going to need to process the signs at some point if we are to have actual FSD.

FSD will require HW3, which I expect would have no trouble doing so.

^Maybe it will, maybe it won't. The ever-present finagling of what constitutes FSD gives me pause. Sure, throw a lawsuit at them if the promised upgrade never comes. Best of luck with that!

I mean, it will, since they've consistently and repeatedly said so....and it's pretty clear they're slamming into the limits of 2.5 repeatedly.... and why would they've wasted $ developing it if they didn't need it?

I personally just took advantage of the $2k sale to buy the basic auto pilot for the adaptive cruise control and I love it. I'm happy with it and I love the car. It's amazing. Best car I have ever had and I would buy it again.

I didn't have the budget for more upgrades when I originally purchased it since it was a stretch to buy the car in the first place- with the options I wanted- and I waited over 2 1/2 years for it. I'm guessing that is not the case for most of the people on this thread since many of you have more than one Tesla (like my X who has 3).

I understand people are pissed because they paid more when they originally bought the upgrades and I get that. But it's done people. It's time to move on and quit complaining about it. Enjoy your purchase or sell the freaking car and get something else you love. Life is to short. Most of the posts on this forum are people constantly complaining about this stuff. It's gone from me being really excited to read about everyones cool experiences to another thread of complaining.

Case in point? The guy that started this thread who was excited to take advantage of the 'special'. So many just rained on his parade. Sigh.

I'm guessing most of you got the $7500 tax break too so that paid for your upgrades right? Do you love your car? If the answer is yes, then just enjoy it. I know I am. What's done is done and no amount of complaining on a forum is going to change it.

I didn't bite, primarily because I don't use EAP much in non-highway mode as much as I used to. It was a gimmick at first, using EAP on back roads, but I didn't trust it in so many circumstances, and I was constantly disabling/enabling, that I really just use EAP on the highway, and 'manual mode' or use EAP as an accident-prevention assist (stop and go traffic), with my hands still firmly on the wheel.

I see FSD as nothing more than recognizing stop signs and stop lights, and 90% of the time, there's a car in front of me, so EAP mode already does that for me. And I do NOT trust the computer to manage 4-way stops with the way the freakin' morons in my town drive and can't understand the concept of a 4-way stop sign.

Reactions: RachH
And I do NOT trust the computer to manage 4-way stops with the way the freakin' morons in my town drive and can't understand the concept of a 4-way stop sign.

Can't wait to see how FSD handles the 4-way. What happens when you get into that awkward, "You're to the right of me, so you go. No? Ok I'll go, since the guy headed in the opposite direction of me is also going. Oh you started going, better hit the brakes. That other guy is still going. Oh to heck with all of you, I'm just going!! Dammit a pedestrian just jumped out in front of me. Fine you all go."

• Funny
Reactions: obryan20
I paid Canadian $8000 to upgrade my Model X to FSD in January. So far my vehicle is exactly the same as it was before I wasted $8k. This is a major scam! I’ve spoken to numerous Tesla help people and they all say the available enhancements will be activated tomorrow, just need a map or software update. Never happens!
I’m travelling outside of the country for a few weeks, but if it’s not activated when I return then I’m going to dispute the charges with my credit card company. 4 months and nothing.
I was an early adopter, spent $160k on a vehicle which I loved, but there is no way I’m giving Tesla one more $. No Model Y for my wife, iPace will be the next purchase.
As far as I’m concerned, Tesla has lost the plot.