TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Maine Model3 deliveries

Discussion in 'New England' started by longshadows, Jul 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. longshadows

longshadows Member

My AWD M3 is on order, scheduled for delivery "Sept-Nov 2018" What's not clear is how I pick up the new car. I am paying cash and can EFT the final payment to Tesla when they ask for it. I believe all paperwork can be done electronically. So, all that's left would be "delivery." Does this have to be a Maine "drop?"

I know that Tesla is 3rd party trucking M3s to owners in Maine (with no support), but I'd like to be able to take ownership at a Tesla SC. Will the car come to Dedham SC first? Can I go there to pick it up and ask any questions. (I plan to take it right to a detailer in Dedham for wrapping and OptiCoating and it would be easier to just drive it from the SC to the detailer, than have it come all the way up here to Maine and then drive it right back down to Dedham!)

Do they send area cars to be delivered to the Dedham SC first? Can I bring my registration papers, plate (transferred) to the SC and take ownership there?

What creative deliveries have other Northern New England new owners had to resort to? What's been you experiences?

Thanks!

2. tga

tga Supporting Member

Unfortunately, if you take delivery in MA, Tesla is required to collect MA sales tax, even if the buyer is a non-resident and plans to register in another state. Since MA sales tax is higher than ME, even if you get credit for all the ME sales tax, a MA pick up will still cost you more money.

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

The closest US Service Center to Maine not in Massachusetts is in New York. One _might_ be able to arrange for delivery there.

4. longshadows

longshadows Member

Does anyone know if NY SC would be able to waive NY sales tax for out of state residents?

5. tga

tga Supporting Member

Yes, @an1235 from NH picked up in NY (Mt Kisco?) because of the MA tax issue. See this post and following: New Englanders -- check in!

AFAIK, only MA and CA have this silly tax rule. All other states that I know of do not charge sales tax unless the car is registered on their state.

6. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

You could take delivery just over the MA border, does not have to be your home address, then drive it back south for detailing as long as you have plates.

7. an1235

an1235 Member

Yes; your delivery advisor should give you a New York State DTF-820, which says that you are exempt from NY sales tax as you are out of state and don't have a nexus in NY. You should fill that out before your pick up.

8. longshadows

longshadows Member

Thanks! Has anyone had any experience with delivery pick up as an out of state buyer in Milford, CT? That would be an hour closer to me than NY.

9. dkd114

dkd114 New Member

No go in CT either. Has to be in NY or home delivery. CT is same situation as MA. I just went through this with a RI delivery.

10. Cintoman

Cintoman Member

I'm running into a similar situation. I live in RI and just got my VIN and email to schedule my delivery in the Dedham, MA SC, since that's the closest to me. Then today, I got an email from my IDA saying that pickup in Dedham is not possible, due to the MA sales tax issue. He suggested Mt. Kisco, NY, but that's over 3 hours and 170+ miles away from me. I'm thinking about choosing the home delivery option instead. Not sure if any other RI'ers ran into the same situation or not.

--Cintoman