TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Maintenance / outage notifications

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by bmah, Apr 15, 2016.

1. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

I'm currently looking at a message that says "TMC will be going down soon for maintenance. Expect to be back up ~20 minutes later."

No problem, although one is left wondering when "soon" and "later" are. Usually if I do outage notices for services I manage, users find a message like "going down from 10:00 PDT to 10:30 PDT" to be more useful (and of course announcing an outage window longer than I actually expect it to take).

Just a suggestion...

Bruce.

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Yeah I try to do that with proper advanced warning. But sometimes I can only do stuff when I get a chance and if it's the middle of the night and will only be a couple minutes of actual down time I'll just do it. "Soon" means any moment from now so send what you were gonna send. We have drafts saved every 30 seconds, so even if you didn't get to send, shouldn't be much of a loss.

3. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

Sounds good, thanks!

Bruce.