Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mammoth charging options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're planning on going to Mammoth in a couple of weeks and was wondering what's a better charging strategy for our MYP:

1) Charge in Mammoth supercharger to 50-60% (150 kW but will be limited due to cold)
or
2) Charge in Bishop supercharger to about 90% before going up to Mammoth (40 miles away from destination, but 250 kW)

We won't be doing much driving in Mammoth (will use shuttles / bus) so should be OK with about 50% charge during our stay for a few days.

I believe there's a couple L2 charging in Mammoth but we're not staying at any hotel to be able to utilize it.

I recommend charging to 80-90% in Bishop. The uphill climb on 395 from Bishop to Mammoth burns a ton of range and even more if you want to pass slower cars and run the heater. You'll burn ~30% uphill but only ~10% on the descent back into Bishop.

Reactions: CyanideDN
I recommend charging to 80-90% in Bishop. The uphill climb on 395 from Bishop to Mammoth burns a ton of range and even more if you want to pass slower cars and run the heater. You'll burn ~30% uphill but only ~10% on the descent back into Bishop.
good idea. We will want to use the heater to keep everyone comfy.

For winter driving, change to Chill mode and regen to Creep?

good idea. We will want to use the heater to keep everyone comfy.

For winter driving, change to Chill mode and regen to Creep?
Chill mode is typically recommended but I've never bothered to use it during any ski trips to Mammoth/Tahoe/Big Bear. Just drive like a grandma instead.

I also wouldn't modify regen settings from what you probably typically use (i.e. Hold). The older Teslas had a Low setting for Regen which would've been helpful.

Other things I'd recommend:
-Not having summer tires (hopefully your MYP came with the Michelin AS4s)
-Set of cheap chains to carry in the trunk (likely won't need them but better safe than sorry)
-Wearing thick clothing and/or using a blanket while driving (less need to run the heater) <-significant other will appreciate this one
-Find an empty parking lot in town and turn on Track Mode for some donuts :cool:

Reactions: CyanideDN