Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any good destination charging options in Hanford, CA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to take a road trip to Hanford California for a funeral. I'm staying in a hotel downtown that has no destination charger. I'm looking for charging options nearby, J1772 or CCS. I've seen a number of J1772 chargers at banks or government offices. Anyone with experience on these? I''m driving an MYP. I'll be getting in late the first night, and I don't really want to add the time to stop in Visalia for a fast charge, nor do I want to get up the next morning and backtrack to that supercharger.

I don't really want to add the time to stop in Visalia for a fast charge, nor do I want to get up the next morning and backtrack to that supercharger.
Yeah, as @ItsNotAboutTheMoney suggested, Plugshare is the most up to date and comprehensive map of all charging resources, so that's where you would find something if there is anything near your hotel, but overall, I'm confused about your route. In this area of super high density of Superchargers in southern California, there are so many around in every direction, I wouldn't even think about looking for destination charging unless I happened to see one near the hotel. I put a 40 mile radius on Hanford, and there are about 10 Supercharger locations.

So this route is confusing me. Your location says you are from Phoenix, so I would presume you are coming from the East. You say you don't want to stop at the Visalia Supercharger, which should be on your way. Can't afford a 15 minute stop? All right.

Your route has me confused though. You say the next day afterward, going to Visalia would be backtracking, which means going in the opposite direction from where you want to go. So when you leave Hanford, you are going farther West, instead of back East to Phoenix? In that case, Coalinga and Kettleman are very close by to the West if you're heading toward I-5. If you are heading back East to get on CA 99, then you're heading toward Visalia anyway, and it would be conveniently along your route and not "backtracking". What am I missing?

www.supercharge.info

The point of skipping Visalia is that I expect to get to Hanford around 11pm or later, and we're going to want to get into the hotel right away. My route has me getting there at about 10-15%, so it would be a great time chargewise to top up on the way in. Except it's at the end of an 12+-hour trip.

Plugshare is showing a bunch of 7kw chargers within a few blocks of our hotel - one of them is free, and 8 stalls. We can get a few % during breakfast if need be, and then we can go for a supercharger. I'm not sure I'd want to park my car at these locations overnight without checking them out first. It's odd that there isn't a Supercharger in Hanford itself. But part of this trip is to go see Kettelman City and Harris Ranch, so charging will be easy the 2nd day.

so it would be a great time chargewise to top up on the way in. Except it's at the end of an 12+-hour trip.
Yeah, I certainly get that. Next morning would be the better option.
It's odd that there isn't a Supercharger in Hanford itself.
Why is that odd? Hanford is a tiny town of less than 60K people that is not on any major highway, and there are Superchargers 20 miles East and 30 miles West. There isn't a pressing need to also having one IN Hanford. I confess I have a little bias attitude, since I have been a bit angry trying to get other multi-hundred mile gaps to get Supercharger coverage. So this dissatisfaction with one being 20 miles away doesn't sit very well with me.

Rocky,

I don't know our correspondent's route, but I would assume that he will be using highway 43 to and from Interstate 5, as it is the most direct and likely fastest route from Phoenix. Otherwise, his choice would be to take highway 99 to Visalia, then west to Hanford or take Interstate 5 to Kettleman City, then north on 41 to Lemoore and east to Hanford. Both of these alternatives will add anywhere from 20-40 minutes of additional driving. (Yes, we sometimes need to allow for these inconveniences!)

I share your frustrations with Tesla in not building out their network in Idaho to accommodate destinations not on the interstates.

I must disagree that highway 198 is not a "major" highway. It is the access highway from Tulare County to the Coast and to Interstate 5 if heading north and to Sequoia National Park's southern entrance for those heading east. I submit that it is just as important to us out here as US12, 20, and 93 are for you Idahoans. California 198 is just not as long as those highways and has (as you correctly point out) Superchargers that are close enough but not convenient to Hanford or Lemoore.

I guess sometimes we just have to realize that Supercharger coverage will be spotty for those who travel on secondary highways (like highway 43) for any distance because those trips will be the exception and not the rule.

A parenthesis to our colleague from Phoenix: You might consider Supercharging at Enos Lane (just south of I5 on highway 43 for about 15-20 minutes before arrival. I would suppose that would get you enough juice to return back to Interstate 5 in comfort when you depart.

Reactions: Eric33432
Hanford is a very interesting place, actually. I've visited a couple of times before. There are some buildings downtown that hint of major government money having gone through for a while, but it seems they moved to Visalia instead. Left behind some buildings that seem far too grandious for a town of Hanford's size. Anyway, it's not superchargers, it's any DC fast charging that is missing. Not even a broken EA at Walmart.

Oh - my route. This trip we are specifically trying to avoid going through all the LA traffic on the 210 and Grapevine. The plan is to take I-10 west to Blythe, then cut north along the river to Needles. From there it's Barstow, Bakersfield, Visalia and Hanford. Plenty of chargers along the way, but our longest trip to date. We leave Thursday. Since Friday involves looping by two huge Supercharger sites, it's mostly a matter of having enough charge when we get to Hanford for the next day, plus perhaps sentry mode.