Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Man burns in Burning Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are other threads on this. The guy was driving "at an insane speed," according to witnesses. I find it mind boggling that nobody was able to break a window. And, this is not the first person who could not be pulled from a vehicle in time to save them. It's only news because it's Tesla.

Just a point of information: All fire departments and first responders train on the following manuals and have them available during a response.

First Responders | Tesla

From the manual:

NOTE: When an airbag inflates, Model S is designed to unlock all doors, the trunk, and extends all door handles.
NOTE: If the door handles do not function, open the door manually by reaching inside the window and using the interior door handle.

Yea, this is sad but at some ponit WE are responsible for the dumb Sh*t we do with our cars. They couldn't get the doors open because

a) They were locked
b) The door was damaged in the impact (like happens to most cars)

EVERY first responder would have thought to break the glass. Perhaps the fire was too severe.. ya know, like happens to many gas cars in high speed crashes every day... But this was a Tesla so lets sue.

This has nothing to do with retractable door handles, it has to do with the fact they are electronic and not mechanical. Even though the car should have unlocked and extended, if the crash was severe enough the power will be out and that won't happen. Many other cars now have electronic door releases, and this issue affects all of them. Also, even cars with mechanical door handle now auto-lock for safety, and if the car didn't unlock you'd have exactly the same issue. It needs to be standard operating procedure: if the door handle does not work, break a window and use inside latch to open the door.

This has nothing to do with retractable door handles, it has to do with the fact they are electronic and not mechanical. Even though the car should have unlocked and extended, if the crash was severe enough the power will be out and that won't happen. Many other cars now have electronic door releases, and this issue affects all of them. Also, even cars with mechanical door handle now auto-lock for safety, and if the car didn't unlock you'd have exactly the same issue. It needs to be standard operating procedure: if the door handle does not work, break a window and use inside latch to open the door.

Yes but from the inside its mechanical and can be opened by the driver or through the window.

Yes but from the inside its mechanical and can be opened by the driver or through the window.

I know; did something I say indicate otherwise?

My point is this has nothing to do with retraction. Any car with electronic door handles (more and more now), and any car with auto-locking (most) would have this same problem if the 12 VDC power cuts before the doors can be unlocked. It's not a Tesla-specific problem by any stretch.

These types of crashes are by far the most dangerous. Even a moderate collision with a tree or a pole is fatal most of the time. The rigid battery will work well to mitigate the interior intrusion but the forced involved are way beyond what a human body can survive. My niece was a passenger in a car that lost control and hit a tree. She was broken everywhere and the only survivor.