Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manhattan Parking Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I'm moving to Manhattan (from the Bay Area), and my wife and I are stubbornly refusing to give up our Model 3 and so need a place to park it. Having not lived here before, the New York parking situation is intimidating, even before you add on the complication of needing to be able to charge.

Am curious if anyone has any suggestions. Anything helps (any specific garages, or just general ideas), as I don't even know where to start. I'll be in Greenwich Village, but our car will be primarily a weekend car and so we don't necessarily need to have it parked close by (ie. we can just subway to wherever it is when we want to pick it up).

Thanks for any help!

Garage parking is expensive, but many of them now have chargers. In my brother's garage for his building in Chelsea there were about 1/3rd Teslas and most of the spaces, even the ones on top of the lifts, had chargers. My parents likewise have charging available to them in their garage on the upper east side. That being said, holy *sugar* is it expensive, I think in my parents garage is $200 extra per month or something, on top of the probably $500 they already spend, so naturally they still have an ICE car. You can do a borough, and it'll still be expensive, but not quite so unreasonable. When I lived in NYC I did this, but found it so inconvenient that we almost never used our car. Street parking isn't doable unless your day job is tending to pigeons on the roof.

The only reasonable garages with Urban Superchargers are Lower East Side & Chinatown area, which may be a bit out of your way.
Tesla’s map shows a decent number of Destination Chargers all around downtown.

Although you still may end up parking a bit out of the way from Greenwich Village monthly parking will be extremely expensive.
You may find parking is 2-3x the price in UWS/Tribeca/Greenwich Village relative to say LES/Chinatown/East Village.

One option if you are to park out of neighborhood, consider what areas you will be driving to on weekends and pick a garage that will give you easier access to whatever highway/tunnel/bridge you will end up taking.

The only reasonable garages with Urban Superchargers are Lower East Side & Chinatown area, which may be a bit out of your way.
Tesla’s map shows a decent number of Destination Chargers all around downtown.

Although you still may end up parking a bit out of the way from Greenwich Village monthly parking will be extremely expensive.
You may find parking is 2-3x the price in UWS/Tribeca/Greenwich Village relative to say LES/Chinatown/East Village.

One option if you are to park out of neighborhood, consider what areas you will be driving to on weekends and pick a garage that will give you easier access to whatever highway/tunnel/bridge you will end up taking.

Thanks. Will take a look at LES/Chinatown/East Village.

To talk numbers as python2121 mentioned - you can spend as much as $900/mo in “nicer” neighborhoods, and as little as $300/mo in others.

This map seems to be powered by spothero - NYC Monthly Parking You Can Afford | Tips & Resources
Seems like a good guide on the kind of pricing you might find.
It seems to indicate you may find some good deals north of you in Chelsea, which I wouldn’t have thought of.

The prices seem in-line with my experience in the city.

I think Sergant has the best idea, park outside of New York City given that the 3 will be a week end ride. You can always think about not moving to NYC itself or moving to Philly, your parking bill in NYC is 1/2 the cost of a nice apt in down town Philly.

Beter then the above purchase a house with a driveway and you will not have a problem parking or charging.

What did you end doing? I am in the same situation (moving from Bay area to NYC) and will be in Manhattan (Upper East/West, Lower East/West, Midtown). Interested to know if you ended up taking yur Tesla and what your experience has been wrt to parking+charging expense and convenience