Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manually closing the front door in the X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Random question but my wife manually pushed the front driver side door closed in the X today and it fully closed OK. Is it safe to manually push the front doors closed in the X or will this harm the auto close mechanism? She said she saw the mobile service guy do it multiple times. Reason for this when we get home our child is often sleeping and the auto close is very quick and loud close very manually shutting softly.

I find the auto mechanism slams them harder than I feel comfortable with. Even when I get in the car, I tap the brake, then slow down the door's momentum with my hand before it slams. When I get out, I gently close the door and let the soft close mechanism pull it the rest of the way in and latch it.

Reactions: alangrig
I find the auto mechanism slams them harder than I feel comfortable with. Even when I get in the car, I tap the brake, then slow down the door's momentum with my hand before it slams. When I get out, I gently close the door and let the soft close mechanism pull it the rest of the way in and latch it.

Mine slam pretty hard too, but I've just got used to it now and don't worry about it. Would be nice if the front doors did a soft close like the FWDs. The soft close mechanism is even there, just needs to hit a buffer to slow it down when auto-closing.

Last edited:
Reactions: mknox
I asked the service center guys about manually opening and closing them, they said once they are unlatched you can move them up and down manually but it is slow and heavy to do. He then opened the door and pulled it half way down manually. I’ve done it a few times when I wash it so I can clean everything real good, and it’s been fine so far. Is there anywhere in the manuals that say you shouldn’t do this? To be clear he wasn’t talking about opening or closing all the way, just about moving it some I guess.

There is an Emergency release cable on the FWDs behind the speaker grills. The speaker grills just "pull" off, revealing the cable which is hanging down. I removed my speaker grill to locate he cable and become familiar with their location -- mine were tucked behind the speaker. Because they are hard to see in the dark (regular 1/16 steel with a ball at the end for gripping), I dipped mine in RED plastic dip to make them stand out. After releasing the FWD they can be opened manually -- they are heavy.

I strongly recommend becoming familiar with the cables location in a non-emergency just to familiarize with the cables location and operation. If you have teenagers or regular passengers in the rear, they also should become familiar with the emergency opening. There is also an emergency release for the Rear Trunk door behind a plastic panel. The inside front door levers are cable operated, so would function normally should power be interrupted.

I asked the service center guys about manually opening and closing them, they said once they are unlatched you can move them up and down manually but it is slow and heavy to do. He then opened the door and pulled it half way down manually. I’ve done it a few times when I wash it so I can clean everything real good, and it’s been fine so far. Is there anywhere in the manuals that say you shouldn’t do this? To be clear he wasn’t talking about opening or closing all the way, just about moving it some I guess.

As a recommendation, you don't need to "pull" the FWD down for washing/whipping. Just press the close button, then when the door is at the height you want touch/grip the pinch sensor (rubber molding edge) at the BOTTOM of the door. The door will stop in that position. Do not use the side sensors due to pinch area between the FWD and Front Doors--same for the rear side.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy