Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manually Fold Mirror Button Missing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car was bought from Tesla's new inventory as a new car directly from Tesla showroom. I just called service and told them that the switch wasn't working but didn't go into detail. Waiting for a call back.

Edit: I think you're confused because of the build date of the car. It's a model that was used as a service loaner with 3,900 miles. However, it was purchased as a new car through their new inventory program.

Edit Edit: OMG. Is it possible the car was involved in an accident and they replaced it with the wrong part??
Your last comment makes sense... somehow the part might have been swapped... can't see how it was built with it. But let's see what the SC says!

That's the switch from 2013 vehicles, I have one. The middle switch works, but the functionality simply turns off the left or right mirror buttons which remain on/lit until the middle button is pressed.

My middle switch, the one in the picture I took, isn't a switch. It's just a dummy place holder piece of plastic. You can't push it - it's literally not a button

Reactions: KyleDay
wow, that is strange. Taking my S75 in tomorrow to get the correct headlights installed. Took a while to convince them it has the wrong ones.

I get that they don't want to stop the factory line if they are out of parts, but it seems borderline fraudulent to deliver the car to a buyer and not disclose the substitution and schedule a time to remedy the issue when the parts are available.

I get the feeling that they don't really QA anything at the factory and just hope they customer never notices so they don't have to fix it

I have a Nov 2017 build also, mine has the switch (had to run out and look). Weird that yours doesn't. Could they have old parts laying around at the factory, do to cars without some feature sets (ie those with only cloth seats) maybe get the switch they mistakenly put in your car?

Hey, this is a complete shot in the dark… But the last few cars I’ve owned have had some subtle variations between US versions and their Canadian counterparts. In one case it had to do with daytime running lights, and another it had to do with power folding mirrors.

Are there any Canadians following this thread who can confirm that they have all three buttons?

Update: the SC replaced my switch with a new switch containing the button to fold/unfold the mirrors. As for how this happened, they indicated "this is what happens when you buy a limited production vehicle from a start-up company", so no useful information.

The button works though!
They indicated that their company is a startup producing limited production vehicles?! Lol.. Where's Jon when you need him <sob>

:D :rolleyes:

Glad you got it sorted, but, yeah, a little more info would have been nice!

Reactions: croman
I have gotten the wrong part in a factory bag before from Audi, so it's not surprising that Tesla might have gotten a wrong part from a supplier mixed in with a batch of correct parts. It's not something I would expect QA to catch - someone might even own the car for years without ever noticing. Thankfully it should be a few minutes to fix, they could even have a Ranger do it.

This is a Mercedes switch - looks just like the one in OP's car.

IMG_5258.JPG