Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirrors not moving properly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my car back from the body shop after getting a new free paint job (sand storm damage). And they installed new mirrors amongst other things and the mirrors are all screwy. Like they will not fold using the fold button on the door or on the screen. Also the moving will only work for like a min and then it won't work till I stop and start driving again.

The button stays lit up like it should and the screen pops up with the save/restore thing when I move them but they don't actually move after like a minute.

Pretty sure I'm gonna have to pull them off and trace the wires but before I start ripping *sugar* apart I was wondering if y'all had any ideas why it's working intermittently or not folding.

So I stopped by the body shop and they were like I dono 🤷‍♂️ tried to do a software redeploy but that didn't do anything and all the wires are connected.
So I have a service appt in 3 weeks anyway I just talked the mirrors onto it the body shop said they'd pay for whatever the problem ends up being

Probably installed them outward when base was retracted or vice versa. Try driving up and asking them to try again while you wait?
That's kind of what I was thinking. They installed them flipped out but the car was locked and they were supposed to be folded inward but maybe that isn't even a thing, I dunno. Other than that the only other thing I can think of is that there is a wire that is pinched/cut or pin in the harness that is bent or fell out of the connector. Does the "hidden" service menu show any alerts?

It doesn't seem that difficult to get to the mirror harness, just take the door panel off and it's right there. This doesn't look like it applies to your Dec 2014 build but some older ones needed a harness:

1680205103602.png

That's kind of what I was thinking. They installed them flipped out but the car was locked and they were supposed to be folded inward but maybe that isn't even a thing, I dunno. Other than that the only other thing I can think of is that there is a wire that is pinched/cut or pin in the harness that is bent or fell out of the connector. Does the "hidden" service menu show any alerts?

It doesn't seem that difficult to get to the mirror harness, just take the door panel off and it's right there. This doesn't look like it applies to your Dec 2014 build but some older ones needed a harness:
Yeah i pulled off the door panel and the wiring was hooked up right, and i doubt they were folded when they removed it because mine are set to only fold at a couple of GPS locations, not all the time. No alerts in the service mode and i dono which fuse controls them but i checked all the fuses with an ohm meter and they are all good. I didn't want to pull them off entirely because the way i read the manual it has to come off with the corner glass and i don't wanna deal with that getting out of alignment because wind noise if its not in the right spot.

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Yeah i pulled off the door panel and the wiring was hooked up right, and i doubt they were folded when they removed it because mine are set to only fold at a couple of GPS locations, not all the time. No alerts in the service mode and i dono which fuse controls them but i checked all the fuses with an ohm meter and they are all good. I didn't want to pull them off entirely because the way i read the manual it has to come off with the corner glass and i don't wanna deal with that getting out of alignment because wind noise if its not in the right spot.
You said they replaced both of them and they are both "new"? Maybe 1 of them is faulty? What happens if you disconnect 1, does the other side work normally? It also looks like your review mirror is connected to the side mirrors for the auto-tinting feature. Does that work?

Got my car back from the body shop after getting a new free paint job (sand storm damage). And they installed new mirrors amongst other things and the mirrors are all screwy. Like they will not fold using the fold button on the door or on the screen. Also the moving will only work for like a min and then it won't work till I stop and start driving again.

The button stays lit up like it should and the screen pops up with the save/restore thing when I move them but they don't actually move after like a minute.

Pretty sure I'm gonna have to pull them off and trace the wires but before I start ripping *sugar* apart I was wondering if y'all had any ideas why it's working intermittently or not folding.
"sand storm damage"
Sand gets everywhere! When they replaced them, did the shop clean anything/everything in that area?
Only takes a few grains of sand to do real damage to small gears, bearings, and wiring.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
"sand storm damage"
Sand gets everywhere! When they replaced them, did the shop clean anything/everything in that area?
Only takes a few grains of sand to do real damage to small gears, bearings, and wiring.
yeah i live in the desert i know good an well just how sand gets inside everything. My guess is they pinched a coax wire but I've done a visual inspection of most of it and its all fine looking. It worked when i gave it to them and now it doesn't so that leads logic towards them pinching a wire that i cant see.

Reactions: ChooseFreedom