Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Many problems with Model 3 SR+ What to do???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 service issues: (awaiting second appointment and parts. First service visit was April 2, 2019 returned 15 days later on April 17, 2019. Took delivery on March 27, 2019 )
  1. Full immersive Sound missing - tweeters not functioning
  2. Right rear passenger door won’t to open after release (rear passenger unable to exit)
  3. Home link (without location aware) missing
  4. (Repaired) Hood out of alignment
  5. (Repaired) Rear passenger doors out of alignment
  6. (Repaired) Front bumper was delivered chipped (See #7)
  7. Replacement bumper is deformed right side
  8. Interior floor light flashes on for a split second and then stops functioning.
  9. (Repaired) Rear Passenger window installed too far to the rear
  10. Door gasket on right rear door buckled
  11. (Repaired) Door gasket on left rear door buckled
  12. When trying to call a contact through voice control the contact phone list closes within seconds before the list can be accessed.
  13. Swirl scratches on finish
  14. Orange peel on rear quarter panels and bumper and other areas
  15. Rubber gasket at the right corner of hood by windshield is not installed and sitting loose - missing bracket.
  16. Chrome trim out of alignment on passenger door where it meets the right quarter panel chrome trim
  17. Front fabric piece at base of windshield has material pull in the center.
  18. Rear glass roof panel is installed at an angle and is recessed below frame on right side
  19. Inside windshield Pilars and other fabric areas around windshield came back from 16 days in service and bodyshop dirty/stained.
  20. Rear camera has intermittent long delay when entering reverse
  21. Auto bright not working
  22. Sentry has to be restarted every time I leave the car - any automati
  23. While in the garage I often hear a loud double metallic click noise coming from underneath the car like a solenoid was activated.

QwUESTION: is cruise control different if Autopilot is installed
As others have mentioned many of these items are not features of your car. The swirls are on every car ever. Some high end dealers send cars to shops for paint correction before selling them, eg, Rolls Royce. Most of us have to take our cars to a quality shop for clay bar and paint correction after purchase. Especially before doing PPF or nano ceramic.

Reactions: Big Earl
Model 3 service issues: (awaiting second appointment and parts. First service visit was April 2, 2019 returned 15 days later on April 17, 2019. Took delivery on March 27, 2019 )
  1. Full immersive Sound missing - tweeters not functioning
  2. Right rear passenger door won’t to open after release (rear passenger unable to exit)
  3. Home link (without location aware) missing
  4. (Repaired) Hood out of alignment
  5. (Repaired) Rear passenger doors out of alignment
  6. (Repaired) Front bumper was delivered chipped (See #7)
  7. Replacement bumper is deformed right side
  8. Interior floor light flashes on for a split second and then stops functioning.
  9. (Repaired) Rear Passenger window installed too far to the rear
  10. Door gasket on right rear door buckled
  11. (Repaired) Door gasket on left rear door buckled
  12. When trying to call a contact through voice control the contact phone list closes within seconds before the list can be accessed.
  13. Swirl scratches on finish
  14. Orange peel on rear quarter panels and bumper and other areas
  15. Rubber gasket at the right corner of hood by windshield is not installed and sitting loose - missing bracket.
  16. Chrome trim out of alignment on passenger door where it meets the right quarter panel chrome trim
  17. Front fabric piece at base of windshield has material pull in the center.
  18. Rear glass roof panel is installed at an angle and is recessed below frame on right side
  19. Inside windshield Pilars and other fabric areas around windshield came back from 16 days in service and bodyshop dirty/stained.
  20. Rear camera has intermittent long delay when entering reverse
  21. Auto bright not working
  22. Sentry has to be restarted every time I leave the car - any automati
  23. While in the garage I often hear a loud double metallic click noise coming from underneath the car like a solenoid was activated.

QUESTION: is cruise control different if Autopilot is installed
Hey, sorry about the problems but you should organize your list into different categories to make it more understandable,
because at first view it looks like that your car your car is going to collapse into a pile of dust.

Note: I should bring my car to you because I didn't find any issue, but maybe I wasn't good at it.

About the #12, I find the following articles:

Issue with bluetooth car radio and ringing

Tesla couldn’t solve a Model 3 owners’ Bluetooth problem after 7 months. So it blamed Samsung phones.

• Funny
Reactions: OCR1
2F16C7E4-FF20-4E34-8FFE-641573365EDE.jpeg
CE48B3ED-8213-49CB-8CCC-02B9EF16AF00.jpeg
1A741D1D-BA9C-4E64-B438-F15D4D4EB7B5.jpeg
B9A6A31A-9094-477F-B490-53F836ED8E9D.jpeg
As others have mentioned many of these items are not features of your car. The swirls are on every car ever. Some high end dealers send cars to shops for paint correction before selling them, eg, Rolls Royce. Most of us have to take our cars to a quality shop for clay bar and paint correction after purchase. Especially before doing PPF or nano ceramic.
After researching further, since I am a DIY person, and I realize the service center could make it worse, I am going to buy the necessary buffer, pads and products to repair it myself. ( I installed my own electrical )

There is no need to be condescending. Take a look at the previous reply to three of my issues which were easily addressed without the negativity. I mean, for you to reply “So?” to my question about the loud double clicking noise is really not necessary. Just because you happen to know why this occurs does not mean we all are aware. Please be kind to people less knowledgeable than yourself. Thank you.

Several of these "issues" have been covered many times and are easy to find answers to by searching. But that requires some work from you. I get that it's easier to air out a laundry list of things you don't like, but just because you don't like something or it concerns you doesn't mean that it's abnormal or not as designed. I'll say it again...your car clicks.....so what? There's no context there, it's just listed as a service issue, except it's not an issue. You do have some legit problems listed. But there are a couple in that list that are normal things that either aren't problems at all, or are things that affect everyone and have been discussed ad nauseam.

Reactions: Scott7
Several of these "issues" have been covered many times and are easy to find answers to by searching. But that requires some work from you. I get that it's easier to air out a laundry list of things you don't like, but just because you don't like something or it concerns you doesn't mean that it's abnormal or not as designed. I'll say it again...your car clicks.....so what? There's no context there, it's just listed as a service issue, except it's not an issue. You do have some legit problems listed. But there are a couple in that list that are normal things that either aren't problems at all, or are things that affect everyone and have been discussed ad nauseam.
You do not need to reply if you feel these things have been discussed “ad nauseam”. Please be constructive and not condescending. Otherwise, I would ask you to please move on to another thread and not harass me or continue to criticize my post. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Home link (without location aware) missing
The SR does not have the Homelink hardware. You can buy it as an after-delivery option in the Tesla shop.
Interior floor light flashes on for a split second and then stops functioning.
Could that be because the SR doesn't have the ambient lighting option?
Swirl scratches on finish
On Teslas that's a standard feature. ;)
Rear camera has intermittent long delay when entering reverse
As already mentioned, that is a software issue in recent firmware versions that affects many people and will presumably be fixed in a future update.
Sentry has to be restarted every time I leave the car - any automati
Normal behavior.
While in the garage I often hear a loud double metallic click noise coming from underneath the car like a solenoid was activated.
Normal behavior.

The SR does not have the Homelink hardware. You can buy it as an after-delivery option in the Tesla shop.
Could that be because the SR doesn't have the ambient lighting option?
On Teslas that's a standard feature. ;)
As already mentioned, that is a software issue in recent firmware versions that affects many people and will presumably be fixed in a future update.
Normal behavior.
Normal behavior.

Home-link and floor lighting:

Home-link please read my prior response.

Floor lighting was not an excluded option when I placed my order.

Hey, sorry about the problems but you should organize your list into different categories to make it more understandable,
because at first view it looks like that your car your car is going to collapse into a pile of dust.

Note: I should bring my car to you because I didn't find any issue, but maybe I wasn't good at it.

About the #12, I find the following articles:

Issue with bluetooth car radio and ringing

Tesla couldn’t solve a Model 3 owners’ Bluetooth problem after 7 months. So it blamed Samsung phones.
No loss of connectivity just that the list phone in SOME contacts leaves the screen abruptly.

Well, they aren't listed on my sticker even though my car has them. Lots of features aren't listed.

They are not listed on mine either... but I think OP is going to have a hard time proving to tesla that HIS model 3 SR+ should have options that others MR SR+ dont. OP states that "it wasnt excluded when I ordered", so OP will need to prove that to tesla somehow. I dont think an email will suffice. On the other hand, in general, squeaky wheel gets the grease, so if OP keeps after tesla maybe they will do something special for him.

My error: I just saw the bottom of the older list where audio is separated. However this was not the way it was indicated on the order page features.

The MR version had full immersive sound and the SR variations did not because it doesn't have all the same speakers as the premium package. There was something that I saw on Tesla's site enumerating the differences.

Last edited:
Home-link and floor lighting:

Home-link please read my prior response.

Floor lighting was not an excluded option when I placed my order.

As I recall the interior lighting was not mentioned as a feature at all. Believe that was discussed by potential new owners on the threads at the time it came out. I also don't think Homelink was listed as a feature either and I see from below that it was only a premium package feature.

Here's a photo I took back in mid-March off the Tesla site of the feature sets for the different variants of Model 3:

m3 features - 1.jpg

Last edited:
There is no item listed as immersive sound. (I guess I’m not entitled to the limited crap the included then...LOL!!

When you pay for a next tier variation you get other features or upgraded ones. Tesla wasn't selling the SR or SR+ will the same features across the board that the more expensive variations had. It was called partial premium and what came with the SR+.

Maybe this February 2019 article from Electric, that spells out the features of SR+ partial premium compared to MR/AWD/P premium, will help answer your questions:

Tesla finally launches base Model 3 for $35,000 with shorter range and new interior

The list looks to be the same one I took a screen image of in mid-March so no changes during that period.

Last edited:
Your rear door issue is perhaps not an issue. It is not documented in the manual, but the rear doors open differently from the front. They require a near simultaneous push of the button and the door, just as opening an old fashioned car door.
Upon the second press of the button, after the first only released the door partially, the door could not be pushed open and the latch would not release further. The rear passenger was held hostage. (She was cute though!)