Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Many problems with Model 3 SR+ What to do???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Latest communication with Tesla on growing list:
“Dear Katie,
You are telling me that the service center will only be addressing one issue.
There are many issues that need to be addressed that do NOT require parts.
I am now being “one-itemed” each time I try to schedule a service appointment for many issues.
I was transferred to Chris and that was to avoid the type of issues that arise when the service center starts bouncing me between people (just like I get bounced between departments).
This makes no sense and this is not right. I should never have accepted this car back from the service center the last time. It was in there for 16 days. My car went in on April 2, 2019 - only 5 days after I took deliver on March 27th - and returned to 16 days later me with many items left unrepaired!
Yes there are more items that I have become aware of since the car was returned to me on April 18th, however, these items were either known or should have been known by the service center, yet the car was returned to me as if everything was fine.
I tried to return the car to service the following week, which was last week but the service center said they would only address one issue then. Now that I have more issues you say you will only address one of the new issues and nothing else!
This is completely unacceptable. At this point I am not being treated as a valued customer. You say that you want me to be treated well and you want to address and take care of all the issues. But the actions do not match the words. This seems to be a consistent theme throughout.”

I was told by inside sales my car was supposed to have Homelink (but without Location Aware). I was told I would have access to the garage door opener control from the display. I was told that I would have Immersive Sound with my Tweeters functioning. I was later told by mobile service that my Standard Plus configuration had not included home link as it should have then they would install it. I was actually told by service after I picked up my car that they fixed my Immersive Sound and that my tweeters were fully functioning. My tweeters do not work! I don’t disagree that the information was not consistent, however, when making a purchase decision for a $40,000 car and deciding between configurations, when the representatives of the company are providing details about exactly what you are buying, those details, within reason, should be honored!

That's a lot of tolds!

Since you believe in being "told" and not discerning facts for yourself, I am telling you there's a bridge for sale with 16 speakers. Interested?

“Dear Katie,
I am now being “one-itemed” each time I try to schedule a service appointment for many issues.
I was transferred to Chris and that was to avoid the type of issues that arise when the service center starts bouncing me between people (just like I get bounced between departments).
This makes no sense and this is not right. I should never have accepted this car back from the service center the last time. It was in there for 16 days. My car went in on April 2, 2019 - only 5 days after I took deliver on March 27th - and returned to 16 days later me with many items left unrepaired!
Yes there are more items that I have become aware of since the car was returned to me on April 18th, however, these items were either known or should have been known by the service center, yet the car was returned to me as if everything was fine.
I tried to return the car to service the following week, which was last week but the service center said they would only address one issue then. Now that I have more issues you say you will only address one of the new issues and nothing else!
This is completely unacceptable. At this point I am not being treated as a valued customer. You say that you want me to be treated well and you want to address and take care of all the issues. But the actions do not match the words. This seems to be a consistent theme throughout.”
Use Florida lemon law?

I feel your pain! I almost purchased a SR in early April and was told it includes homelinks and other features by the sales rep at the tesla store. I put $2500 down that day. Came home a did some reading on my own and found many things he said were not true. I called the next day and he was being ambiguous about it. So I cancelled the order and requested for refund.

The following week I went to talk to the manager who happened to purchase a tesla herself, she was more informative and clear about the features which confirmed what I had found out on my own, thanks to this forum and other online sites. I made a deposit for a LR AWD. I also found out the first sales rep was from another subsidiary of the Musk's business. He was transferred to the sales office due to internal reorganization. Needless to say he needs more training, and the frequent changing of tesla's feature/trim packages and price did not help anyone. I would press for return and refund if I were you as you were ill-informed and you had not past your 7 days trial period. I don't think you would go too far from trying to get them fix everything. Best of luck.

What other things? I ordered an SR so curious to know what was different than expected...thx!

He was basically quoting me the SR with the partial Premium and some Premium features (like the homelinks) You can find out more about each package from Troy's list in earlier page. But the most annoying thing was he told me the price of tesla has been increasing steadily since last year, other than the SR and SR+. But when you do some researches and calculations, the price has actually been dropped slightly, if you accounted for the AP inclusion with the car purchase. I was debating between SR and the LR RWD, because of what he said I went with SR. A day later, I found out the truth and cancelled my order. All and all I didn't think he knows what he's talking about and I gave up on trying get info from him. I suggest you find a sales rep who purchased a tesla. Who would know more about the car than the car's owner himself/herself.

After researching further, since I am a DIY person, and I realize the service center could make it worse, I am going to buy the necessary buffer, pads and products to repair it myself. ( I installed my own electrical )

It sounds like you haven't detailed before. Search YouTube for Junkman2000 - and watch the videos a couple of times each. When you start detailing it is a VERY frustrating process. You will get there, but be prepared to spend hours and hours and hours doing your first paint correction.

Reactions: Big Earl
“Dear Katie,

I mentioned earlier in this thread that there was a very high likeyhood that the list of things you are identifying as issues was not going to be fully addressed by tesla. Your communication with them shows that It is very likely I am correct on this.

In the spirit of the question of your thread title (which asked "what to do"), I am curious... what WILL you do when you find out that tesla is basically going to tell you to "pound sand" because they feel you are being unreasonable?

If you have not started thinking about that, you should start. There is zero chance they address all of your issues, so you need to start thinking about what comes after that for you. You sound pretty unhappy with your car, and life is too short to be this unhappy about a car. You should really consider cutting bait, selling the car, and moving on to another brand that has a build quality that meets your expectations.

Have you considered that?

Last edited:
This isn't really a product issue, It's more a classic salesmen issue. Salespeople "tells" people things and make promises and they turn out to be wrong. Always get everything in writing and read up upon everything yourself multiple times.

I have had instances when I have had promises in writing and been met with "Sorry, we can't honour that. The business is so complex that we can't" and it sucks and the only thing you can do is up your own responsibility. Sad but true..

If you look at your very own reply with the “older” version of the features list by model comparison you will not see any reference to Immersive Sound. Immersive sound without any qualifications was on the options list linked to the ORDER PAGES and clearly stated the Model 3 Standard PLUS came with immersive sound. There was no distinction identifying it as LIMITED/FULL until the April 2019 features document!

When I bought my SR+ in March it said Limited Immersive Sound.

I feel your pain! I almost purchased a SR in early April and was told it includes homelinks and other features by the sales rep at the tesla store. I put $2500 down that day. Came home a did some reading on my own and found many things he said were not true. I called the next day and he was being ambiguous about it. So I cancelled the order and requested for refund.

The following week I went to talk to the manager who happened to purchase a tesla herself, she was more informative and clear about the features which confirmed what I had found out on my own, thanks to this forum and other online sites. I made a deposit for a LR AWD. I also found out the first sales rep was from another subsidiary of the Musk's business. He was transferred to the sales office due to internal reorganization. Needless to say he needs more training, and the frequent changing of tesla's feature/trim packages and price did not help anyone. I would press for return and refund if I were you as you were ill-informed and you had not past your 7 days trial period. I don't think you would go too far from trying to get them fix everything. Best of luck.
Funny you mentioned that.....I had a test drive last week and the gentleman who accompanied me said that he had been working for Tesla's solar division but since they had not had a lot of work he had been farmed out to Tesla proper....very intresting