Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Map data outdated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JJ Earl

Oct 28, 2022
US
I recently got a Model Y but it’s using outdated maps showing incorrect road closures & is missing roads. My older Model 3 shows the missing roads & correctly shows the previously closed roads as open. Is there anyway to update the maps??

Reactions: cenwesi
It's weird because they say the data is from Google Maps on the screen now, but still using exit numbers that changed two years ago, while the Google Maps app has them correct. Google has a place to submit corrections, but they are already right in Google, so I think Tesla must be using an outdated version.

Last edited:
It's weird because they say the data is from Google Maps on the screen now
No, it says the map displayed on the screen is from Google Maps. The map data used by the navigation system is separate and is not from Google. (It is Tesla maps sourced at least partially from OSM and TomTom.)

I recently got a Model Y but it’s using outdated maps showing incorrect road closures & is missing roads. My older Model 3 shows the missing roads & correctly shows the previously closed roads as open. Is there anyway to update the maps??
Go into the Settings/Software page and compare the map data versions between your two vehicles. (You most likely need to get your Model Y on WiFi to get the latest map data.)

I find the Map data to be terrible on my Tesla model Y: speed limits are too often wrong, I have to pay to have very poor traffic data, roads are not up-to-date, road works are not indicated etc. I end up using my smartphone, with Waze as the navigation system. There is absolutely no advantage with Tesla's navigation system, apart from integrating supercharging points seamlessly whilst going from point A to point B.
A true weak point in Tesla's design concept.

Reactions: SkyDog
I find the Map data to be terrible on my Tesla model Y: speed limits are too often wrong, I have to pay to have very poor traffic data, roads are not up-to-date, road works are not indicated etc. I end up using my smartphone, with Waze as the navigation system. There is absolutely no advantage with Tesla's navigation system, apart from integrating supercharging points seamlessly whilst going from point A to point B.
A true weak point in Tesla's design concept.
No, it says the map displayed on the screen is from Google Maps. The map data used by the navigation system is separate and is not from Google. (It is Tesla maps sourced at least partially from OSM and TomTom.)

Go into the Settings/Software page and compare the map data versions between your two vehicles. (You most likely need to get your Model Y on WiFi to get the latest map data.)
i feel like my map was UpToDate initially. But after recent update it went backwards

Reactions: DblOSmith