Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car delivered with outdated software. Is there a way to trigger the update process?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my second Tesla this month (after a tree fell on the first one) and noticed that in both cases, the car is delivered with outdated software. My new car is still running 2023.38.200.1.

Now, with the first car, as soon as I got home and connected to wifi, it downloaded and installed the update. So it was no big deal. But with this second car, I can't get it to even see that there is an update available. From what I've gathered on this forum, there is no way to force an update… Is that correct?

I understand that I need to be patient, but find it a little frustrating nonetheless.

Apologies for venting a little. I’m wondering why Tesla doesn't update the software before delivering the car... Seems like such a simple thing to do in terms of customer satisfaction!

I got my second Tesla this month (after a tree fell on the first one) and noticed that in both cases, the car is delivered with outdated software. My new car is still running 2023.38.200.1.

Now, with the first car, as soon as I got home and connected to wifi, it downloaded and installed the update. So it was no big deal. But with this second car, I can't get it to even see that there is an update available. From what I've gathered on this forum, there is no way to force an update… Is that correct?

I understand that I need to be patient, but find it a little frustrating nonetheless.

Apologies for venting a little. I’m wondering why Tesla doesn't update the software before delivering the car... Seems like such a simple thing to do in terms of customer satisfaction!
There use to be factory firmware hold on new deliveries that could take couple weeks before normal updates occurred. Not sure if Tesla still does that.

Some are having issues with the new “recall” update, so don’t get too anxious and it will come your way when Big Brother Elon ordains it.
Yeah, I recognize I need to be patient. Though as the customer, similar to with phones or computers, I should be able to update my phone to the latest OS, even if I know that it may contain bugs.
There use to be factory firmware hold on new deliveries that could take couple weeks before normal updates occurred. Not sure if Tesla still does that.
Interesting.
The TL ; DR answer to the question posed in the thread title is " No".
Thanks for confirming! Seems like people have anecdotal evidence of what worked for them, but no real solution other than patience.

Also check to ensure the update is set to advanced:

Controls > Software > Software Preferences > Advanced.
Yep! Done that. Thanks.
New cars can take 1-2 months to update from factory firmware. There’s no way to speed it up. You’ll get the update when Tesla decides you should get the update.

This also applies for all future updates. All the reported “tricks” to trigger an update don’t really do anything.
Wow... that seems crazy to me. Wondering what the logic is like.

You already got a new car? Has it been two weeks? Same model, same color, same package? How long for insurance to total the old car?

When I got my '23 MY it updated a couple times in the first 48 hours.

EDIT: Just found your old car thread.

A bug in your phone or computer software isn’t going to cause an accident or take your car out of service. Tesla does it this way for a reason.
I'm not sure that it makes sense, but I'm still totally ignorant about how Tesla releases updates.

I doubt that they use the general public to test their builds, but I can understand having a staggered rollout strategy. However that would only apply to the latest version. In other words, I understand that not everybody is running the very latest "holiday update" yet, but my car should at least be updating to the latest stable build, as opposed to be running a version from 2 months ago.

You already got a new car? Has it been two weeks? Same model, same color, same package? How long for insurance to total the old car?

When I got my '23 MY it updated a couple times in the first 48 hours.

EDIT: Just found your old car thread.
Not even 2 weeks! Same model, same exterior color, but I had to get the all-black interior as I couldn't find a red/white available to be delivered by end of year. It took the insurance 7 days to total the car, and 1 more day to settle. I haven't received the check yet, but couldn't really wait. I just kept refreshing the local inventory, and when the right combination popped up, I pulled the trigger. Took delivery same day!

Do a two button MCU reset. This will force a check for new software when you go to the Software page, assuming that one has not been done in the past 24 hours.

Other than that, no way to force an update.
Thanks! I did try that, along with a bunch of other anecdotal tricks that I gathered in other threads.

Reactions: fholbert
FWIW, I got a M3 LR AWD on September 28th, and it came with one of those .N00. loads.

It took about six or eight days but, One Day, there was an update waiting.

So, the appropriate response to all this, sad to say, is, "Have patience, Grasshopper." It'll come.

One place that one can look at for Elevator purposes (that means: Looking at data to make it look like one is doing something) is to open up TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker and look at the fancy graphs. If one looks in there and looks at the details for a more recent update, like 2023.44.30.6 one'll see cars moving from a .100 release to the 2023.44.30.6 release, and so on, over time. The low numbers are (a) only subscribers get their cars recorded and (b) there's only about 20,000 people subscribed, so it's all statistical averaging. But, still.

FWIW, I got a M3 LR AWD on September 28th, and it came with one of those .N00. loads.

It took about six or eight days but, One Day, there was an update waiting.

So, the appropriate response to all this, sad to say, is, "Have patience, Grasshopper." It'll come.

One place that one can look at for Elevator purposes (that means: Looking at data to make it look like one is doing something) is to open up TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker and look at the fancy graphs. If one looks in there and looks at the details for a more recent update, like 2023.44.30.6 one'll see cars moving from a .100 release to the 2023.44.30.6 release, and so on, over time. The low numbers are (a) only subscribers get their cars recorded and (b) there's only about 20,000 people subscribed, so it's all statistical averaging. But, still.
30.10 soon which is coupled with FSD v12.1
Can’t wait

• Funny
Reactions: KArnold
I'm not sure that it makes sense, but I'm still totally ignorant about how Tesla releases updates.
No one really knows, outside of Tesla. We just know they stagger releases, AND that there WILL be times that you wont even get some update or other that you see everyone talking about, but perhaps get one later than that a few weeks later.

We still dont know, even with someone posting this particular question or one just like it ("why doesnt my car have <insert update number> yet?" at least once a week or so, since I got here in late 2018.