Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Map of current, upcoming and suspected Tesla Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's also possible that the Tesla guy was conjoining Atascadero and Paso Robles. I did look at the city of Atascadero permit list, and someone submitted a permit for 4 new electrical panels at the Rabobank location there at the same time the Buellton permit was submitted. It could be unrelated, but if you were looking for some parking spaces in Atascadero, with Rabobank's existing charger network, it would be a sensible place to put four superchargers. Hopefully, we'll find out next week!

Agree that the Rabobank in Atascadero would be a good location for SCs. There is plenty of space in the back of the parking lot for this, and immediately adjacent to the freeway.

Apologies if this was pointed out elsewhere, but...

Tesla's website (Supercharger | Tesla Motors) says "Winter 2013 – Coast-to-coast travel via I-80". The dots on the Winter 2013 slider map on the same page show the gray dots cutting through South Dakota on I-90.

I-80 goes right through Omaha, NE - where I live - but those gray dots don't show up on the slider map until 2015.

is the map wrong or did someone just use the wrong interstate number?

>Tesla's website (Supercharger | Tesla Motors) says "Winter 2013 – Coast-to-coast travel via I-80". [Eric from NE]

"I-80": WY, NE to Lincoln, NE-2 to Nebraska City, I-29 so to US-30 across MO, I-72 to SC@Normal,IL, I-72 to Cham/Urbana, I-74 to ColumbusOH, I-71 to I-76, I-80 to NYC.

This is what Californian minds envision as "I-80 cross-country". Logical, shorter distance, straightest route possible to Big Apple. Neatly avoiding all the pitfalls. The way it oughta be! :biggrin:
--

>Tesla's website (Supercharger | Tesla Motors) says "Winter 2013 – Coast-to-coast travel via I-80". [Eric from NE]

"I-80": WY, NE to Lincoln, NE-2 to Nebraska City, I-29 so to US-30 across MO, I-72 to SC@Normal,IL, I-72 to Cham/Urbana, I-74 to ColumbusOH, I-71 to I-76, I-80 to NYC.

This is what Californian minds envision as "I-80 cross-country". Logical, shorter distance, straightest route possible to Big Apple. Neatly avoiding all the pitfalls. The way it oughta be! :biggrin:
--

I don't disagree with the Californian's route. Just saying that's nothing close to what the Tesla site has on the map for Winter 2013.

Californians do know the difference between South Dakota and Nebraska, right? :wink:

Apologies if this was pointed out elsewhere, but...

Tesla's website (Supercharger | Tesla Motors) says "Winter 2013 – Coast-to-coast travel via I-80". The dots on the Winter 2013 slider map on the same page show the gray dots cutting through South Dakota on I-90.

If you listen to confernce call
Tesla - Events Presentations Supercharger Announcement
at about 6:30 Elon talks about a trip he wants to take which matches proposed rollout. I believe he's getting his trip ready.

I don't disagree with the Californian's route. Just saying that's nothing close to what the Tesla site has on the map for Winter 2013.

Californians do know the difference between South Dakota and Nebraska, right? :wink:

Funny that you guys don't seem to realize it doesn't follow I-80 in the west either. Given that the winter 2013 route starts in LA and follows I-15 to Utah instead of using I-80 which starts not far from the Fremont factory I don't think regional ignorance has much to do with it. The dots to allow using I-80 to travel between San Francisco and anywhere else in the country don't appear until 2014.

> that's nothing close to what the Tesla site has on the map for Winter 2013. [Eric from NE]

LOL. I just now looked at the 'slider map'. The 'winter 2013' map is a complete joke, jumping straight north into SD, forcing Tesla traffic into Chicago. Not conducive to Cross-Country Coast to Coast travel. How do they come up with this stuff?? And using a Mercator Projection Map??
Good grief, TM has to start listening to folks who have driven cross country umpteen times and maybe check accurate traffic flow charts.

Btw, thanx for the reference; I had missed the 'slider' function.
--

SC-2013-winter.jpg

Re Winter 2013 map: For starters, how about Lovelock and Wells NV to get Bay Area traffic into SLC UT area on their way East.

Then, since you already have SCs at Denver CO and Normal IL, why not plan SCs to connect these? Then, when the last of these SCs opens, you could have your Golden Spike TransContinental Ceremony with dignitaries & media attention as 60kw ModelSs from both coasts cross paths in the middle of the USA. TM would prefer this to happen in SD apparently. :confused:
--

Re Winter 2013 map: For starters, how about Lovelock and Wells NV to get Bay Area traffic into SLC UT area on their way East.

Then, since you already have SCs at Denver CO and Normal IL, why not plan SCs to connect these? Then, when the last of these SCs opens, you could have your Golden Spike TransContinental Ceremony with dignitaries & media attention as 60kw ModelSs from both coasts cross paths in the middle of the USA. TM would prefer this to happen in SD apparently. :confused:
--
In the Supercharger announcement, Elon said the initial coast-to-coast route replicates a college road trip he did and is looking forward to doing again with his sons. Not the most practical route, perhaps, but sentimental (and perhaps most scenic).

Described at 6:25 in the transcript at ir.teslamotors.com

Last edited:
> Not the most practical route, perhaps, but sentimental (and perhaps most scenic). [bollar]

I hereby yield my 'logic' to 'personal privilege'. :rolleyes:

I *am* looking forward to the new SCs in CO & WY/SD. Will greatly increase my own 'Tesla Neighborhood'!!
--

> I do like the focus on a "road trip" [bollar]

But surely the Man hisself has an 85 S. So why all those closely spaced SCs? In 10 month's time anyone looking at the map of existing SCs will wonder just what they started smoking when they drove out of Cheyenne. :biggrin:

And back to Nevada, I'm now thinking: randomly grab a driver in the Bay Area and ask: "How does one drive East?" They likely will answer: "Go to I-5, head to Vegas." So TM omitting Reno & Wells NV does perhaps make sense percentage-wise. Its just the way most people think.
--

> I do like the focus on a "road trip" [bollar]

But surely the Man hisself has an 85 S. So why all those closely spaced SCs? In 10 month's time anyone looking at the map of existing SCs will wonder just what they started smoking when they drove out of Cheyenne. :biggrin:

And back to Nevada, I'm now thinking: randomly grab a driver in the Bay Area and ask: "How does one drive East?" They likely will answer: "Go to I-5, head to Vegas." So TM omitting Reno & Wells NV does perhaps make sense percentage-wise. Its just the way most people think.
--

Not quite sure I follow the "go to Vegas" approach. If I were in the Bay Area and wanted to go to the East Coast I would hop on I-80 to start with. Later on I would be presented with other route choices. I dunno, maybe I don't think like a left coaster.

Addendum: Now, if I were in "smell the roses" mode then Vegas may make sense ... though I'd rather do Tahoe, SLC, then maybe hop down to I-70 and hit a few spots in CO if I didn't fancy Cheyenne.

Not quite sure I follow the "go to Vegas" approach. If I were in the Bay Area and wanted to go to the East Coast I would hop on I-80 to start with. Later on I would be presented with other route choices. I dunno, maybe I don't think like a left coaster.

I'd fly. But no doubt there are people out there saying "I can't drive coast to coast in this car right now? Totally useless. This car isn't ready for primetime." Others are saying "I can't believe Tesla didn't put a SC in the middle of Iowa? What gives?"