Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Map shows why California is the king of electric cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DanCar

Oct 2, 2013
SF Bay Area
USA and Local National Gas Station Price Heat Map - GasBuddy.com
gas-prices_20200419_210645.png

In other news, price of oil reaches $15 a barrel. Crude Oil Prices Today | OilPrice.com

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
Nice map with questionable conclusion that cost of gasoline is principal driver of electric car sales.

Electric cars cannot sell significant numbers based on lower operating cost. The increased capital expense devours it.
They need to sell based on their engineering superiority over ICE powertrains; an electric car is a better car to drive.

This is why I let people test drive my EVs. A few have bought based on that experience. However, only 10% say they would consider an EV as their next car, and even fewer have test driven one.

Reactions: DanCar
While gasoline prices are higher here, so is the price of electricity. As such, I'm not sure how much the cost of refueling is a primary motivator for the higher level of EV adoption here.

For me, it's the environmental aspect, cool technology/engineering, and my fascination with cars employing alternative powertrains/fuels (rotary engine, diesel, hybrid, EV). Avoiding the pump was more of a factor for me than the price at the pump.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanCar
While gasoline prices are higher here, so is the price of electricity. As such, I'm not sure how much the cost of refueling is a primary motivator for the higher level of EV adoption here. ...
You also get carpool lane access, tax perk, rebate, and some employers offer free work place charging. All which more than offset the cost of electricity to most. There are those with solar roofs.

You also get carpool lane access, tax perk, rebate, and some employers offer free work place charging. All which more than offset the cost of electricity to most. There are those with solar roofs.
These incentives aren't exclusive to California, though. Other places may have these incentives as well as cheaper electricity to go along with their cheaper gasoline, yet their EV adoption rates are lower. While fuel savings may be a factor in the car buying decision, I'm not sure it's the primary one.

Last edited: