Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maps with no mobile coverage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. you will get a blank screen.

If your phone works, then hotspot the Tesla to your phone's 3G
Otherwise, download MAPS.ME app to your phone and download offline maps. Always plan your trip if you feel you'll be out of coverage.

"Thank You for contacting Tesla Service Support! I apologize for any inconvenience this delayed response has caused.
We are very sorry that you had this experience with navigation, unfortunately that is the way our navigation is designed. If due to any reasons LTE, 3G signals disappear, our navigation will stop routing. I am going to file your concern with your permission to our engineers in Fremont so that they would be aware of this inconveniences.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns, I will be more than happy to assist you."

Kind regards,

Vladimir T. | Tesla Support
12832 Frontrunner Blvd., Draper, UT 84020
www.tesla.com/support

source: No GPS Maps without LTE or 3G Signal?

If you have already entered in the destination the nav keeps working but the map doesn't update details until you get back into a coverage area. I've found that the car's reception has been pretty good overall though, albeit with some blackspots where neither the car nav nor my mobile phone work.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
If due to any reasons LTE, 3G signals disappear, our navigation will stop routing. I am going to file your concern with your permission to our engineers in Fremont so that they would be aware of this inconveniences.
That is more than a little bit *sugar*, isn't it! Australia has enormous stretches where there is no mobile coverage at all. Definitely needs a feature similar to Google Maps on a phone, which detects that you are going somewhere that might be a little bit dodgy and then offers you the chance to cache the tiles needed to navigate to your destination, either this, or they should have a fallback vector basemap that can be used when the primary tiles are not available.

There are two systems. Google Maps appears on the centre screen and requires network coverage, but when a destination is established it uses on board maps for turn by turn navigation. The instructions will still happen if you drive outside of network coverage area you will just lose the centre screen map details.

• Informative
Reactions: Hovean and Hairyman
There are two systems. Google Maps appears on the centre screen and requires network coverage, but when a destination is established it uses on board maps for turn by turn navigation. The instructions will still happen if you drive outside of network coverage area you will just lose the centre screen map details.

Interesting, did not know that! Thanks Meloccom!