Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know max pain for tomorrow?

Ha! $300!

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 22.01.44.png

• Funny
Reactions: madodel and YasB
When ever you see a V like after market action like that on a day when the stock moved up or down a lot. Its usually an order that didnt fill during the normal trading day, but its a legit order so it fills after hours instantly spiking the stock in either direction. But its not a real movement for that time period, its from earlier in the day.

If its not a V yet and just down. just refresh until it updates.. it usually comes right back.

When ever you see a V like after market action like that on a day when the stock moved up or down a lot. Its usually an order that didnt fill during the normal trading day, but its a legit order so it fills after hours instantly spiking the stock in either direction. But its not a real movement for that time period, its from earlier in the day.

If its not a V yet and just down. just refresh until it updates.. it usually comes right back.

I learn something new every day. Thx!

Considering the market on the whole, 300 is a pretty good spot to be in. Was 284 just 2 days ago. Of course Tesla does this all the time. The market up 2%, Tesla down.. Tesla up 2%, the market down. Its so disconnected its nutty. Ill take days like today though, struggle all day for good solid gains.

As far as the shorts go. I dont know who they survived the move from 250 to 350 last year. That was like up every day for a month at one time. All this macro volatility has probably emboldened them even though it has little to do with Tesla. If they where constantly refreshing their shorts, they probably did ok the last 2 months. I think YTD, shorts are about break even in terms of mark to market. Thats pretty sad for them considering.

$300 is the max pain for tomorrow

I'm really scratching my head short-term with this stock movement. Today was a very strong day for TSLA with a weak macro day. This came at a time when shorts were seemingly in control of the stock lately. Did they back off their efforts today? Continue to aggressively try to control the stock but lost today? Was there institutional accumulation? Was there a lot of short covering? I have no idea, nor do I have any idea what happens tomorrow. I think the cautious approach for me at this point is to simply wait and see what the stock does tomorrow morning. It should be clear if shorts are able to control the movement after the first hour or so. There may or may not be a MMD tomorrow at open. If there is the usual attempt at one, and it fails with the stock moving up strongly, I'm adding. I think I will add in tranches so as to avoid adding heavily only to have the stock dip back to the low $290s. I hate it when that happens!

I'm really scratching my head short-term with this stock movement. Today was a very strong day for TSLA with a weak macro day. This came at a time when shorts were seemingly in control of the stock lately. Did they back off their efforts today? Continue to aggressively try to control the stock but lost today? Was there institutional accumulation? Was there a lot of short covering? I have no idea, nor do I have any idea what happens tomorrow. I think the cautious approach for me at this point is to simply wait and see what the stock does tomorrow morning. It should be clear if shorts are able to control the movement after the first hour or so. There may or may not be a MMD tomorrow at open. If there is the usual attempt at one, and it fails with the stock moving up strongly, I'm adding. I think I will add in tranches so as to avoid adding heavily only to have the stock dip back to the low $290s. I hate it when that happens!

Today was a continuation of yesterday, so I disagree a bit that shorts were in control yesterday, so why would they be today? Volume seems pretty low and there just are not many buyers. The interesting thing to me is how quiet $tsla gets on twitter from the bears on these days. I get that they are not happy its going up, but its almost like they are working on material for a down day to help push the stock.

You can also see the paid bulls contributing. You all know the accounts im talking about. They are pro's making funny animated gifs and retweeting each other. I am certainly not against having someone in the fight on our side, even if they have to be paid. Usually I would love that kind of fight, but twitter is to public for my real name. Maybe I will make a funny account and start ripping people. I would love to just respond to about 4 peoples tweets and outline why they are wrong ever time they tweet. Then make fun of them for only having 2000 followers, so no one is listening to them anyway. How do you have 30,000 tweets and 2000 followers.

Today was a continuation of yesterday, so I disagree a bit that shorts were in control yesterday, so why would they be today? Volume seems pretty low and there just are not many buyers. The interesting thing to me is how quiet $tsla gets on twitter from the bears on these days. I get that they are not happy its going up, but its almost like they are working on material for a down day to help push the stock.

You can also see the paid bulls contributing. You all know the accounts im talking about. They are pro's making funny animated gifs and retweeting each other. I am certainly not against having someone in the fight on our side, even if they have to be paid. Usually I would love that kind of fight, but twitter is to public for my real name. Maybe I will make a funny account and start ripping people. I would love to just respond to about 4 peoples tweets and outline why they are wrong ever time they tweet. Then make fun of them for only having 2000 followers, so no one is listening to them anyway. How do you have 30,000 tweets and 2000 followers.
I may be misinterpreting the trading yesterday simply because it went up early and then lost ground throughout the day despite the market being up. It still was an up day, so it's probably not fair to state that the shorts were in control. They certainly weren't today.

As far as the shorts go. I dont know who they survived the move from 250 to 350 last year.
Most shorts that i know of, trade around a core position of a certain size. I seriously don't understand how people can assume you buy once for a certain amount and sit there for 3 or 4 years doing nothing but watching the stock reach $350+. I did the same last year and averaged down the price every $25 or so. I do that since i'm to dumb for technical analysis (and am not convinced it works). As long as the price comes back every now and then it's ok and you can sell what's to much. While it certainly wasn't fun to see Tesla running up to $380, gains from other long positions made up for the book value losses, so you can go to bed without crying yourself to sleep every night. :)

So usually it seems to be averaging down or entering when it looks appropriate and have the position stopped out when it isn't.

I'm certainly not an expert, but a bunch of options are expiring tomorrow and maximum pain is very close to or at $300. Given the amount of options people seem to use for leveraged exposure to Tesla, this may be an explanation for todays move. Or did i miss some bullish news apart from the last email?

Max Pain | Maximum-Pain.com

Edit: I shouldn't wait an hour between writing and posting. -.-

• Informative
Reactions: Zhelko Dimic
So UBS didn't say what Barron's said they did?
Well, you could interpret what I wrote that way. Shall I say rather the news they report is always wrong? In any case, if you read something in Barron's it's because it's wrong. So I find the report quite encouraging.

The world is full of morons reporting on fools.

It takes a day or two for brokers to analyse the news and put out recommendations to their clients

So in a nutshell you´re saying that when something fairly distinct happens (like the China news, the ''6,000 target email'', etc.) we here at this forum can analyse it and understand if it´s bullish or bearish way faster than the brokers can when they service their clients?

Status
Not open for further replies.