Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mars and Off Planet Colonization - General Possibilities Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's the rational response to damaging emissions - balance their cost against their benefit. But the perception of both benefit and cost vary wildly, so there's no practical way of balancing them out at the planetary level. Well, unless everyone agrees to turn over the task of balancing it all to an AI or some benevolent dictator.
There's no such thing as a benevolent dictator. Not among humans, anyway. And if there was, they probably wouldn't have the intelligence to do it effectively. Everyone comes up short in some way. That's why you have combine our collective abilities, and average it all out without giving anyone exclusive control. In doing so, our collective self interest can sometimes manifest as intelligent and rational.

Eventually, SpaceX has to develop synthetic methane production so that they have reliable equipment to send to Mars. They should develop and perfect the equipment and use it to produce significant volumes of fuel from atmospheric CO2 and water in Texas and Florida where they need the fuel. That is the sustainable and carbon neutral path forward. Heck, you can even capture the O2 from the CO2 and H2O for the LOx.

• Informative
Reactions: EVCollies
Eventually, SpaceX has to develop synthetic methane production so that they have reliable equipment to send to Mars. They should develop and perfect the equipment and use it to produce significant volumes of fuel from atmospheric CO2 and water in Texas and Florida where they need the fuel. That is the sustainable and carbon neutral path forward. Heck, you can even capture the O2 from the CO2 and H2O for the LOx.
Yup

Reactions: ecarfan
I assume this graphic posted on X by @Delta9250, dated Dec 28, 2023, is not from SpaceX. I’ve never seen it before. It is an interesting concept. I’m guessing that the two ships attached to the crew/cargo ship during EarthMars transit would have equal prop loads for balance.

I’m not clear on why the two ships are shown pointing opposite directions for the “Mars Orbital Insertion Burn, Tanker Attached”. When tankers refuel the ship in LEO they will both be oriented the same direction. If they maintain that orientation for Mars burn they can both fire their RVacs and end up with equal prop loads which seems to me a desirable outcome.

IMG_0540.jpeg

I’m not clear on why the two ships are shown pointing opposite directions for the “Mars Orbital Insertion Burn, Tanker Attached”. When tankers refuel the ship in LEO they will both be oriented the same direction. If they maintain that orientation for Mars burn they can both fire their RVacs and end up with equal prop loads which seems to me a desirable outcome.
Refueling is shown as expected. For insertion burn, they need to transfer thrust loads which is easier with more contact area. They would also want to use up Starship's propellant to lighten it for Mars entry and landing. Tanker stays fuller and potentially refuels Starship for their return trip.

Refueling is shown as expected.
Agreed.
For insertion burn, they need to transfer thrust loads which is easier with more contact area
I don’t see how the ship-to-ship contact area changes if they are nose-to-tail vs nose-to-nose.
They would also want to use up Starship's propellant to lighten it for Mars entry and landing. Tanker stays fuller and potentially refuels Starship for their return trip.
But if the ships are too unequal in mass when they are attached and rotating during Mars transit won’t that result in flight path deviations that will need to be corrected somehow?

Reactions: mongo
I don’t see how the ship-to-ship contact area changes if they are nose-to-tail vs nose-to-nose.
Oh... yeah... I was picturing offset refueling connection, not mirror image...

But if the ships are too unequal in mass when they are attached and rotating during Mars transit won’t that result in flight path deviations that will need to be corrected somehow?

Nah, rotation doesn't impact orbital trajectory and a higher mass counterweight means Starship has a larger effective radius for the induced pseudo gravity.

Refueling is shown as expected. For insertion burn, they need to transfer thrust loads which is easier with more contact area. They would also want to use up Starship's propellant to lighten it for Mars entry and landing. Tanker stays fuller and potentially refuels Starship for their return trip.
Why wouldn't tanker and Starship separately accelerate during the insertion burn?

Why is a tanker flying to Mars? So that more propellants are available when reaching Mars? Does the V2 stretched Starship have enough tank space make the trip without an attached tanker?

If they're going to dock on the way to Mars and spin for gravity, why not spin nose-to-nose so that the forces are aligned with the structure of the ships as designed at launch - and as experienced upon landing at Mars?

I'm asking this stuff because I'd never heard of a tanker going along with each Starship. Surely that's why V2 stretches Starship - to eliminate the tanker.

Why wouldn't tanker and Starship separately accelerate during the insertion burn?

Why is a tanker flying to Mars? So that more propellants are available when reaching Mars? Does the V2 stretched Starship have enough tank space make the trip without an attached tanker?

If they're going to dock on the way to Mars and spin for gravity, why not spin nose-to-nose so that the forces are aligned with the structure of the ships as designed at launch - and as experienced upon landing at Mars?

I'm asking this stuff because I'd never heard of a tanker going along with each Starship. Surely that's why V2 stretches Starship - to eliminate the tanker.
Good points 🤷‍♂️It's a scenario.
Depending on one's numbers I think you can get a Starship back from Mars without ISRU if you send slong a tanker also.

I’d never seen such a proposal either, but it appears that graphic is not from SpaceX. If it is not, then I don’t know if the objective of the stretched V2 Starship is to eliminate the need for a companion tanker on the transit to Mars. I thought it was to increase the payload, in combination with adding 3 RVacs.
Depending on one's numbers I think you can get a Starship back from Mars without ISRU if you send slong a tanker also.
Yes, and perhaps that is the real advantage of the mission design outlined in that graphic; the tanker ensures that even if ISRU fails to provide needed propellants for the Starship, the tanker will be available as a backup, assuming of course that the tanker propellants can be properly managed during it’s approximately 2 years in LMO (Low Martian Orbit ;-).

The secondary advantage of the companion tanker would be its use as a counterweight to create some artificial gravity for the Starship crew during transit.

Nah, rotation doesn't impact orbital trajectory and a higher mass counterweight means Starship has a larger effective radius for the induced pseudo gravity.
Thanks for clarifying.
Good point, that would make sense. But if the two vehicles are rotated nose-to-nose, won’t the lower distance of the crew compartment from the center of rotation — as compared to rotating end-to-end — reduce the level of artificial gravity that the crew experiences? Also, nose-to-nose coupling might be very hard to design without interfering with the TPMS at the nose.

It may not be possible unless the two vehicles are connected by a lengthy tether, but ideally I would think starting at 1G and then gradually decreasing to about 0.4G before landing. But if the vehicles are closely connected I do not think 1G could be achieved.

On the other hand, to help the crew handle the extra G’s during Martian entry maybe maintaining almost 1G during transit would be desirable.

A lot of engineering challenges…

Reactions: mongo
But if the two vehicles are rotated nose-to-nose, won’t the lower distance of the crew compartment from the center of rotation [...] reduce the level of artificial gravity that the crew experiences?
Yes. Even worse, the difference in rotation between a person's head and feet is going to make them seriously nauseous, and coriolis effects would be a nightmare.

Tail to tail is far better - except that the acceleration is in the wrong direction. That means that the interior arrangement would be upside down relative to being on a planet surface, and the structure loading switches from compression to tension. It may be that those things can be accounted for with cleverly-designed furniture, etc. and some reinforcement. It's probably the most practical solution, but it seems so ugly. Note that the greatest acceleration would be at the nose. The observation area. I guess people could exercise there. The view of the stars should be amazing.

To get 40% gravity at the middle of the passenger area (45m), you'd have to spin the tail-to-tail ships at 2.8 RPM. That's within the realm of what scientists guess is tolerable, but 2 RPM is the preferred limit for comfort. Dropping to 2 RPM, you only get 20% gravity. Not that I have any idea if 20% or 40% gravity is healthy over long durations, but it looks like it could be done.

SpinCalc

It may not be possible unless the two vehicles are connected by a lengthy tether
That would give more options for sure, but it's not something that is at all practical in the immediate future. A tether handling just 40% gravity needs to support something like 640 tons (a full tanker plus a cargo-loaded Starship at 0.4g). That's a pretty serious tether. I'd run them between the lift points on the Starships as that matches their design use - except that I doubt the lift points are currently designed to handle anywhere near 640 tons.

A lot of engineering challenges…
And unknown unknowns.

As a reminder, earlier this year I started a thread about rotating space stations and artificial gravity and it contains a lot of good discussion (very little of which was by me ;-) about connecting two Starships by a tether. It does seem possible.

In the thread I posted a link to a video about artificial gravity which contained the graphic shown below. For a tolerable and comfortable rotation rate of 2 rpm the radius of the “station” (or in our case, two tethered Starships) needs to be over 100m. Currently, Starship is 50m in length and the crew compartment starts about 40 meters from the base of the vehicle (my estimate). So the tether doesn’t have to be very long. Make it longer and the artificial gravity can be stronger.

Exactly how one goes about tethering two ships together while they are on their way to Mars, I don’t know. I suppose a few EVAs would be required. Not sure how a flexible tether could autonomously unspool from one ship and attach to another. I think multiple tethers would be a good idea, for safety.

Note: Scott Manley has an excellent video on how the human body deals with artificial gravity.

IMG_0543.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
Exactly how one goes about tethering two ships together while they are on their way to Mars, I don’t know. I suppose a few EVAs would be required. Not sure how a flexible tether could autonomously unspool from one ship and attach to another. I think multiple tethers would be a good idea, for safety.
Dock the ships at each tether point to capture a tether end, then back away. Leave some mechanism on the connector to allow it to be released (when not under tension).

If we use that 640 ton number (40% gravity), then a Kevlar 29 tether would need to be 47mm thick. Say you set up two on each lift point times two lift points for a total of four tethers. Assuming the tethers are 100 meters long, it results in a total tether mass of almost exactly 1 ton. Plus various machinery, structure, reinforcement, etc.

A tether handling just 40% gravity needs to support something like 640 tons (a full tanker plus a cargo-loaded Starship at 0.4g). That's a pretty serious tether. I'd run them between the lift points on the Starships as that matches their design use - except that I doubt the lift points are currently designed to handle anywhere near 640 tons.
The required tension would be far less than this. Starship's dry mass is ~100T, plus ~100T payload, plus (wild guess) ~50T fuel after trans-Mars injection. So even at a full 1g acceleration, the tether would only need to support ~250 tons tension. (It wouldn't matter if Starship is tethered to a heavier tanker; the tanker would be closer to the center of spin and thus experience less G-force, offsetting its higher mass.) With a 5x safety margin relative to nominal breaking strength, this setup would require e.g. a Dyneema tether about 6cm in diameter. This would mass about 1 metric ton for a 300m tether, spun at 2.5rpm for 1g, or at a more comfortable 1.6rpm for 0.4g. (Or with a 2-ton 600m tether, one could spin at 1.8rpm / 1.1rpm.) Dyneema is probably useful stuff to have on Mars, so it wouldn't even be wasted payload.

The nose-to-nose tether seems a lot more elegant to me than a tail-to-tail arrangement, for several reasons. It would match the takeoff and landing orientation, and the lift points are already there. It would also prevent fuel draining away from the engines. And an engine-outward configuration (with the heavy weight at the extremities of spin) would be more dynamically stable than having the heavy weight inward. (Also, if both are crewed, they could wave to each other.)

In practice it may make more sense to tether two crewed Starships together en route to Mars, rather than tethering Starship-tanker pairs. Each could serve as a lifeboat for the other in the event of a [survivable] emergency, such as one Starship losing life support. And the tankers don't really require artificial gravity at all, so this arrangement would require just one tether per two crewed Starships, instead of one tether per crewed Starship. (It's not clear to me why sending tankers to Mars is really necessary anyway if there's ISPP; a fully fueled Starship on the surface of Mars could make it all the way back to Earth's surface without a tanker.)

Last edited:
Reactions: JB47394 and ecarfan
It wouldn't matter if Starship is tethered to a heavier tanker; the tanker would be closer to the center of spin and thus experience less G-force, offsetting its higher mass
Thank you for pointing that out. I was being completely simpleminded and was focusing on balancing propellant between vehicles so that they'd rotate around the middle of the tethers.

In practice it may make more sense to tether two crewed Starships together en route to Mars, rather than tethering Starship-tanker pairs.
Yeah, I think tankers got mixed in here as a result of somebody putting a graphic together that says that. The graphic from a SpaceX guy back in 2018 shows a fueled Starship going to Mars. With those beautiful solar wings.

5b6c46472154a333008b4d06

Dyneema is probably useful stuff to have on Mars
Do you have any applications in mind? Dyneema is polymer-impregnated so I assume it cannot easily be broken down to individual strands. How many applications are there for lifting hundreds of tons on Mars over hundreds of meters? Having a cable that can be turned back into individual strands would probably allow it to be used in more applications, despite the lower tensile strength and greater mass.

Then again, if you've got that much great tensile material, perhaps you can start working on a spinning space station. Or a spinning ground station?

Man. I'm glad I'm not responsible for figuring out what goes to Mars.

It's not clear to me why sending tankers to Mars is really necessary anyway if there's ISPP
It was suggested as an emergency backup in the event that ISPP fails in any way. I wouldn't send a crew to Mars without the propellants already in place, but that's me.

Reactions: Ben W