Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martian Wheels MW03

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. My 18x8.5 silver with TPMS, ordered April 28th, are finally shipped. I asked for Tesla center caps, but there was no response. We'll find out Thursday when hopefully all 4 will arrive. I will post pix.

I had planned to sell the stock 20" wheels and summer tires immediately, but this took so long that I already have almost 500 miles on them. My son thinks I should keep them. It is summer and there are few potholes now, so I probably won't buy 18" tires until the Mass State Tax holiday in late August.

Last edited:
Yep. My 18x8.5 silver with TPMS, ordered April 28th, are finally shipped. I asked for Tesla center caps, but there was no response. We'll find out Thursday when hopefully all 4 will arrive. I will post pix.

I had planned to sell the stock 20" wheels and summer tires immediately, but this took so long that I already have almost 500 miles on them. My son thinks I should keep them. It is summer and there are few potholes now, so I probably won't buy 18" tires until the Mass State Tax holiday in late August.
Tax holiday you say? I need to move lol, at least I'm close to Oregon....

More fun. Had four new Michelin A/S 3+ mounted. The tire shop had significant difficulty getting them to seal on the knurling using air pressure alone and needed to send them out to a sister shop that had another tool. Once they declared them finished the wheels stayed in my truck for a few days (maybe contributing?) in hot weather.

When I pulled them out to install one of them was hissing and bubbling at the bead. I brought them all up to appropriate pressure then gave them a brief drive in hopes of getting a better seat. Came back with two reading low so refilled and then let them sit in the garage overnight.

Today I had one completely flat tire and one at 25 PSI. Two may be OK. So, post holiday weekend they are going back for rework.

I cannot seem to win with these.

Could it be the tire install? I'm trying to find ..... I never did find what I was looking for.
More fun. Had four new Michelin A/S 3+ mounted. The tire shop had significant difficulty getting them to seal on the knurling using air pressure alone and needed to send them out to a sister shop that had another tool. Once they declared them finished the wheels stayed in my truck for a few days (maybe contributing?) in hot weather.

When I pulled them out to install one of them was hissing and bubbling at the bead. I brought them all up to appropriate pressure then gave them a brief drive in hopes of getting a better seat. Came back with two reading low so refilled and then let them sit in the garage overnight.

Today I had one completely flat tire and one at 25 PSI. Two may be OK. So, post holiday weekend they are going back for rework.

I cannot seem to win with these.

I'm going with those tires as well. Wheels to be delivered tomorrow, but my tire install appointment is on Thursday. I'll report back with any issues I may run into.

Last edited:
Could it be the tire install? I'm trying to find

I'm going with those tires as well. Wheels to be delivered tomorrow, but my tire install appointment is on Thursday. I'll report back with any issues I may run into.

Certainly possible. They didn't seem all that put out by the knurling, aside from it giving them trouble until they took them to the other shop.

They've been fine for me on my other cars and did mount/balance on at least one Viper tire and my Focus RS along with less entertaining daily driver material.

• Helpful
Reactions: dskillz
Leaking ended up being an installer issue, apparently a barcode tag stuck in the bead seal area on two tires. All seems well now.

Apologies for the filthy car but at least the wheel is somewhat clean:

upload_2020-7-6_18-6-55.png

A/S 3+ in 265/35/19 has a lot of wheel protection. Curbing should be nearly impossible short of sheer idiocy on the part of the driver. They're noisier than I expected though to be fair this is the first car I've owned with thus much tire and no engine noise. So, perhaps normal. Tire shop agreed they're a little loud but wants me to give it a few hundred miles before we go back to Michelin for a solution. We'll see how that goes.

But, I appear to have four non leaking tires which is a substantial improvement from the weekend.

Leaking ended up being an installer issue, apparently a barcode tag stuck in the bead seal area on two tires. All seems well now.

View attachment 561281

A/S 3+ in 265/35/19 has a lot of wheel protection. Curbing should be nearly impossible short of sheer idiocy on the part of the driver. They're noisier than I expected though to be fair this is the first car I've owned with thus much tire and no engine noise. So, perhaps normal. Tire shop agreed they're a little loud but wants me to give it a few hundred miles before we go back to Michelin for a solution. We'll see how that goes.

But, I appear to have four non leaking tires which is a substantial improvement from the weekend.
What's your wheel width and lets see some more pics!

View attachment 561281

After your original leaky post, I found a video of the barcode causes an air leak. Glad that was the case.

View attachment 561281

Good to know and thanks for keeping us up to date. Your wheels and tires look great. There seems to be many weights opposite the valve stem; do you think that is because of the TPMS?

BTW, It looks like your rocker panels and wheel well edges would benefit from mud flaps before winter.

I expect to get my wheels on Wednesday. I got the 20x8.5 with a +35 offset.

I went to my local America’s Tires looking to order the Michelin A/S 3+ 245/35/20’s because today is the last day of their promotion, however they would not sell it to me because the load rating for those tires are 95 and OEM is 96. I have a Mid Range and I have the aero wheels.

Would the load rating matter in this instance? Funny thing is he pulled up information on a Performance Model 3 with the 20’s, and the OEM load rating on those are 92.

Isn't my Mid Range lighter than a Performance? 3686 vs. 4072...according to Wikipedia.

I expect to get my wheels on Wednesday. I got the 20x8.5 with a +35 offset.

I went to my local America’s Tires looking to order the Michelin A/S 3+ 245/35/20’s because today is the last day of their promotion, however they would not sell it to me because the load rating for those tires are 95 and OEM is 96. I have a Mid Range and I have the aero wheels.

Would the load rating matter in this instance? Funny thing is he pulled up information on a Performance Model 3 with the 20’s, and the OEM load rating on those are 92.

Isn't my Mid Range lighter than a Performance? 3686 vs. 4072...according to Wikipedia.
Yup, you should be good, I had 92 on the stock 20s, swapped to 95 on 18s. Of course its up to you, I would however say to not go below the 20s rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.