Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maryland Front Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got pulled over and given a verbal warning within about 2 months of taking delivery of my Model X in 2016. Took it back to the service center and had the bracket installed. Not worth the hassle to me.

• Informative
Reactions: linkster and DavidB
I bought my Model X in late December 2018. Got pulled over on route 100 (around Columbia, MD area) around March because the state trooper thought our Model X was a sedan (not SUV) and so he believed our tint was too dark. During that pull over he also asked about the missing front plate. I told him I just got the car and haven't had the chance to take it into Tesla yet to get the plate/bracket put on. He also asked me if I had the front plate on me (it was in my glovebox) and so I showed it to him. He didn't give me a ticket or anything for the missing front plate (and I still haven't put on the front plate, and no other incidents).

Then I got my model 3 around 9/1/2018. Got my new plates in mid September and put on just the rear plate. Then, yesterday while driving on route 100 east bound, another state trooper pulled me over and said that the MVA is making them do equipment checks and I was missing a front license plate. I told him, I just got the car/plates less than a month ago and haven't had the chance to take it to Tesla yet to get it mounted on. He asked me if I had the plate and I showed it to him. He then gave me a $70 ticket and said I can either pay it or I can take it to court and explain it to the judge. He also said he couldn't care less about this law, but the MVA is making them check vehicles and ticket them (and that he needs to show results, basically). They were ticketing a lot of people on route 100 yesterday. I printed out the "bill" that @ZERO260 posted on 12/27/2016 and will keep that in my car in case I get pulled over again. If it happens and showing that Bill to the office doesn't work, I'll probably look into getting one of those removable plates/brackets like the Sto N Show.

STO N SHO Removable Front License Plate for Tesla

Has anyone else had experience with this and didn't have a plate on the front of their Tesla, but then when pulled over, showed the office the plate (or got out of the car and mounted it on to show the officer that you had it with you), and not received a ticket?

What have others experienced, especially in Maryland?

For the new vehicle purchase situation, don’t forget the temp tag is good for 3 months, and is only on the rear. So you can wait to put on the real plates, even if you have them, for 3 full months after purchase.

Good info. Thanks! Guess that could be another argument that could be presented if someone in Maryland is pulled over for no front plate. I'm still 3 months within my purchase date so technically my temp tag would be good. I was kind of surprised that this Officer still gave me a ticket (he seemed very young).