Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Massachusetts owners - excise tax incorrect price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My $88,000 Model X is valued at $109550 by the state of Massachusetts. If this is supposed to be 90% of the value of the initial MSRP of the car, they're overcharging me by almost 24%. When I talked to my town they said "It's based on MSRP, not what you paid", but Tesla doesn't have an MSRP as far as I know? It's not like you can make a deal on a new car from them.

Just wondering if it's worth my time to try to save $400 by calling the RMV, or if I should just give up and pay the dumb bill.

My $88,000 Model X is valued at $109550 by the state of Massachusetts. If this is supposed to be 90% of the value of the initial MSRP of the car, they're overcharging me by almost 24%. When I talked to my town they said "It's based on MSRP, not what you paid", but Tesla doesn't have an MSRP as far as I know? It's not like you can make a deal on a new car from them.

Just wondering if it's worth my time to try to save $400 by calling the RMV, or if I should just give up and pay the dumb bill.

If you paid $88K with no incentives (like rebates) you should consider persuing it. I would because they are just plan wrong and using outdated terms like MSRP implies their thinking about Tesla pricing incorrectly.

I called the Mass RMV's Excise tax line (857 368 8180) and they asked for a window sticker, which of course I don't have because I bought it online, so I sent them my order agreement (via email while I was on the phone - super handy), which doesn't actually say MSRP anywhere because.... well that's not a thing for Tesla. And that was it. They said I'd receive a letter in two weeks letting me know what the result is. Then if they reduced the price I can go file an abatement with the town.

I called the Mass RMV's Excise tax line (857 368 8180) and they asked for a window sticker, which of course I don't have because I bought it online, so I sent them my order agreement (via email while I was on the phone - super handy), which doesn't actually say MSRP anywhere because.... well that's not a thing for Tesla. And that was it. They said I'd receive a letter in two weeks letting me know what the result is. Then if they reduced the price I can go file an abatement with the town.

I got Sticker with my Model 3 (actually two stickers) and Model X from Dedham MA Service Center.
One Sticker is the "Base Vehicle" and the other is with the Software Options (EAP, FSD, Performance).

Excise valuation in MA is supposed to be based on the "Base" Vehicle, not necessarily even what you paid.

So my Excise on Model 3 was based on a base Model 3 AWD ($18K less than I paid), which is what the Sticker showed, they automatically did this correctly.

Don't think we got anything on Model X yet.

I bought both online as well.

You sure you did not get a windows sticker when you picked it up. I thought they had to give a Monrony sticker. Mine was in the rear storage area, was never attached to car. Lists mileage, features, and price.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank42
They may just looking up your VIN against a pattern in a VIN database and see what number gets returned for the MSRP, which would be the MSRP of the base version of your variant of the car. Since Tesla is unusual in messing with the headline price so much, they're not going to fit the system well and the Monroney would be the way to get the right number

OK, I guess I'll have to look and see if I have that sticker and/or ask for a copy. Maybe it was in some paperwork I was given and just didn't notice.

Mine was in the well under the back tray. I found it when I lifted the panel to throwing a shopping bag in there. It was folded in quarters and under some netting.

Maybe they can just send you a PDF of the sticker.