Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.50.x - Driving Visualization improvements, new voice commands, Camping Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know what deal is but it drives me crazy to use my actual brakes all the time now. My only guess is that Tesla determined that the batteries weren't liking the high in-rush current from full power regen when they are even remotely cold and recent BMS software releases have severely crippled regen in cold weather to protect the battery better.

It drives me nuts too but you seems to not realize that I live in the tropics! It's between 25 and 35 degrees here and I also cannot 1 pedal drive anymore. Though I wonder if the problem gets even more exacerbated when it's cold. The lack of regen from 20-35mph (where the regen was superstrong before) I can live with with a bit of planning but the lack of regen between 5 and 20mph means you now absoloutely have to use the brakes.
I think Model 3 max regen power is 60 or 80kw which really isn't that much compared to it's DC charging capabilities...

Edit: what drives me even more nuts is how noone seems to be bothered here or even notice the regen issue. You are only the 2nd person who has acknowledged this.

It drives me nuts too but you seems to not realize that I live in the tropics! It's between 25 and 35 degrees here and I also cannot 1 pedal drive anymore. Though I wonder if the problem gets even more exacerbated when it's cold. The lack of regen from 20-35mph (where the regen was superstrong before) I can live with with a bit of planning but the lack of regen between 5 and 20mph means you now absoloutely have to use the brakes.
I think Model 3 max regen power is 60 or 80kw which really isn't that much compared to it's DC charging capabilities...

Well that's even more curious then! I have a BMW i3 as well and I'm pretty sure I've used the brake pedal like a dozen times in thousands of miles. It has excellent and powerful regen no matter what temperature it is. Also, if the battery is full, it will simulate regen with the brakes so the driving experience is always consistent. With my Model 3, I never can tell what kind of braking I am going to get from regen anymore. Sure I can see the regen dots but even knowing that regen is limited by a certain amount hasn't really helped me anticipate how much brake force I can expect because the braking torque curve is weird and feels highly variable to me. Sometimes it feels like it comes on strong and sometimes I'm like oh my goodness where is the brake pedal even with the same amount of regen limit dots. I really wish it was more like my i3 where I could always count on a consistent brake force from regen or simulated regen if necessary.

Edit for your edit: I'm a little curious why others don't find this behavior annoying as well. All I can think of is that most folks have never driven a different car with something like hold mode before so they don't really have something to compare to. Since I have an i3 which has excellent regen, I feel particularly let down by the system in my Tesla.

Reactions: AC2DC and SDRick
Well that's even more curious then! I have a BMW i3 as well and I'm pretty sure I've used the brake pedal like a dozen times in thousands of miles. It has excellent and powerful regen no matter what temperature it is. Also, if the battery is full, it will simulate regen with the brakes so the driving experience is always consistent. With my Model 3, I never can tell what kind of braking I am going to get from regen anymore. Sure I can see the regen dots but even knowing that regen is limited by a certain amount hasn't really helped me anticipate how much brake force I can expect because the braking torque curve is weird and feels highly variable to me. Sometimes it feels like it comes on strong and sometimes I'm like oh my goodness where is the brake pedal even with the same amount of regen limit dots. I really wish it was more like my i3 where I could always count on a consistent brake force from regen or simulated regen if necessary.

I don't have that issue - I suspect this is caused by the regen ramping up for you as it the battery warms up in Utah which causes this behaviour. Rest assured even when the battery is warm regen is significantly weaker than before.

I wouldn't like the i3 behaviour as I only want to brake when... well when I actually brake. Also I'm sure BMW doesnt give 2 cents about the i3s battery so it wont have the complex battery management teslas batteries have.

I don't have that issue - I suspect this is caused by the regen ramping up for you as it the battery warms up in Utah which causes this behaviour. Rest assured even when the battery is warm regen is significantly weaker than before.

I wouldn't like the i3 behaviour as I only want to brake when... well when I actually brake. Also I'm sure BMW doesnt give 2 cents about the i3s battery so it wont have the complex battery management teslas batteries have.

I have the same issue as you described once my battery is warmed up. The regen is basically crippled now. Its never as strong as it felt before and now the battery being cold makes it weird and unpredictable as well.

The i3 doesn't use physical brakes unless the battery is over like 95% so that is easy to avoid. Read about the i3's battery if you get bored some time. Its a different design to be sure but it is fairly advanced despite the very conservative approach they took. It is covered under a fairly long warranty period so it's not as if they want to abuse the battery.

Anyone else think Tesla needs to tweak the rate limiter for TACC speed changes? When my car is following traffic it nearly makes me nauseous with how it handles acceleration. Its almost as if it treats the accelerator like a binary input. Its very reminiscent of an old school "bang bang" control system. I don't care if my car is *exactly* 27.345 feet behind the car in front so I'd prefer smoother accelerations even if that distance varies by a few feet because of it.

Anyone else think Tesla needs to tweak the rate limiter for TACC speed changes? When my car is following traffic it nearly makes me nauseous with how it handles acceleration. Its almost as if it treats the accelerator like a binary input. Its very reminiscent of an old school "bang bang" control system. I don't care if my car is *exactly* 27.345 feet behind the car in front so I'd prefer smoother accelerations even if that distance varies by a few feet because of it.

I don't like the way the car accelerates now on autopilot too. It's almost like it floors the pedal all the time. But tbh lots of americans were complaining that the car accelerates too gently and slowly to keep up with traffic so I guess we are now reaping the fruits of the complains.

I have the same issue as you described once my battery is warmed up. The regen is basically crippled now. Its never as strong as it felt before and now the battery being cold makes it weird and unpredictable as well.

The i3 doesn't use physical brakes unless the battery is over like 95% so that is easy to avoid. Read about the i3's battery if you get bored some time. Its a different design to be sure but it is fairly advanced despite the very conservative approach they took. It is covered under a fairly long warranty period so it's not as if they want to abuse the battery.

I am finding the regen braking to be variable. Very week some mornings in the cold and then as others have said not as strong as before but then it arbitrarily will return to “normal” and act like real braking.

Another unrelated note, with the 50.7 update the double stop signs I was seeing on the display at a certain intersection
have become 1 where there is in fact only one stop sign.
Bicycles no longer appear in this update and pedestrians went away several updates ago.

• Informative
Reactions: diezel_dave
.One of my big concerns when I was considering a Tesla was whether the screen breaking or the computer crashing would make it undrivable and unsafe, and I was assured that it wouldn’t. Glad it was confirmed today; I could drive just fine while the screen unit rebooted.
You don't need to worry about rebooting the MCU when driving. In fact, you don't even need the screen installed for the car or Autopilot to work.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
I don't like the way the car accelerates now on autopilot too. It's almost like it floors the pedal all the time. But tbh lots of americans were complaining that the car accelerates too gently and slowly to keep up with traffic so I guess we are now reaping the fruits of the complains.

I don't mind the brisk acceleration but the jerkiness of it annoys me. It feels like when my grandpa is driving. Floor it, let off, floor it, let off, and so on. He drives like the accelerator pedal is an on/off switch.

Last edited:
Reactions: AC2DC and C141medic
Hard to catch up on these new master threads with 50 pages... anyone seen that the passenger airbag warning is on all the time? In ON and OFF Modes? Is that a new regulation for 2020?

Edit: dunno if it’s on at all without a passenger. Will have to see.

Last edited:
Standard Plus now just Standard after 50.7 update?
My car just says Standard now, I no longer have immersive sound, and my range is 356kms instead of 386kms. I still have fog lights. I bought an SR+ in may 2019.
Anyone else notice this? Must be a glitch.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20200104-075232_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20200104-075232_Gallery.jpg
    709.6 KB · Views: 65
  • SmartSelect_20200103-233751_Facebook.jpg
    SmartSelect_20200103-233751_Facebook.jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 55
Hard to catch up on these new master threads with 50 pages... anyone seen that the passenger airbag warning is on all the time? In ON and OFF Modes? Is that a new regulation for 2020?

Mine is on all the time as well. Just says ON or OFF depending on if there is a passenger or heavy object in the seat.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva

Edit: what drives me even more nuts is how noone seems to be bothered here or even notice the regen issue. You are only the 2nd person who has acknowledged this.
I haven't seen a change. Still not using brakes at all...

IME the warning is always on, but it says “off” without a passenger and “on” with it. So you always know its status.