Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. A picture just to make sure something has not been misinterpreted would be nice.

Very unlikely to recover, but this is such an outlier event who knows. Every now and again things like this have shown up, and they often lead to battery replacement due to some other detected issue (not directly the rated range loss, which will not qualify for replacement).
Ok. I do have to admit I never charged fully until it stopped by itself. Trying that now and it has been saying ‘30 min remaining’ for a few hours now while maintaining the same charge rate (just a simple wall plug at the moment that can output only 3kW). Range only went up by a few km.

Attachments

• 8D2F1AA4-635C-49E1-8947-D1DCEA65EFA3.jpeg
    8D2F1AA4-635C-49E1-8947-D1DCEA65EFA3.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 130
Ok. I do have to admit I never charged fully until it stopped by itself. Trying that now and it has been saying ‘30 min remaining’ for a few hours now while maintaining the same charge rate (just a simple wall plug at the moment that can output only 3kW). Range only went up by a few km.
Just stopped charging at 437.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Not by confusion E1LR SR+ from Q1/2021?
Way too high for an SR+; that would be 55.2kWh for that car. Which in theory is possible with the 55.4kWh battery, but I believe the max miles displayed on that vehicle is 263mi/423km, even with 55kWh in the tank (degradation threshold is 53.5kWh). Correct me if we’ve seen higher than that displayed. And most come in capacity wise around 53-54kWh as I recall.

Reactions: eivissa
...and it's absolutely sure you have a Q2/2021 Model 3 Long Range E3LD? Not by confusion E1LR SR+ from Q1/2021?
That thought crossed my mind. Did they put an SR+ pack in it? But the car has all the LR premium features like subwoofer, fog lights, says dual motor on the back. Also all the documents and the official registration clearly state E3LD. I very intentially and specifically bought a model with 614km WLTP, and most definitely paid the price of a LR AWD.

Anyways thanks for all your feedback. I will take this up with Tesla to see what they say.

Attachments

• 359BB9DC-7557-4499-8B44-589122943797.jpeg
    359BB9DC-7557-4499-8B44-589122943797.jpeg
    665.5 KB · Views: 113
That thought crossed my mind. Did they put an SR+ pack in it? But the car has all the LR premium features like subwoofer, fog lights, says dual motor on the back. Also all the documents and the official registration clearly state E3LD. I very intentially and specifically bought a model with 614km WLTP, and most definitely paid the price of a LR AWD.

Anyways thanks for all your feedback. I will take this up with Tesla to see what they say.
Keep us updated!

I will take this up with Tesla to see what they say.
Even though this is WAY worse than normal, unless they diagnose something else wrong with the pack (I think that is likely), you will be out of luck.

Terrible luck on your part. I have seen reports somewhat similar to yours here which rapidly progress to battery failure.

Do let us know how it goes. Tesla should make an exception here even if there is nothing technically wrong with the pack - you should be seeing 568km which on the E3LD is actually capped (display wise, not capped on capacity) and equivalent with an 80kWh capacity to 584km (again, the display cap is around 568km AFAIK and the extra energy is available but hidden and not displayed with additional rated km - the km are expanded instead).

So you are down about 25% by my estimates. (60kWh as mentioned.)

Everyone taking delivery of a car should check the extrapolated 100% rated miles before signing on the line. It doesn’t have to be perfect, but it should be - most cars come in above the degradation threshold when new (even though on this vehicle that only guarantees you greater than 78kWh) and those are the ones you want.

The good news is that even if they do nothing you are pretty close to 30% capacity loss and if this is real, you should be there in less than a year, most likely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ylannl
Doesn’t the model 3 battery pack consist of 4 modules? I think I have seen this in one of the teardown video’s. In that case 25% missing range could correspond to exactly one defective module? I’m no expert, but those numbers would fit perfectly right?

Will definitely let you guys know when I have news to share!

Doesn’t the model 3 battery pack consist of 4 modules? I
They’re not equal size and a failure would mean it would have to be shorted out in order to still function but then voltage would be really low, etc. so probably not.

Even in cases of significant capacity loss usually voltage stays good (there are exceptions for failing packs though I think it is a software safety limit probably that kicks in - entirely possible in your case).

Lots of possibilities but you could just have one brick lose 25% of its cells (so 11 cells out of 46 in a brick (4416 total)) and that would result in 25% capacity loss since there is no easy way to recover from that in a single discharge (though it could rebalance when able in theory, multiple times, and approach 0.2% loss - not useful in practice).

If you had something like this I think you’d see (with SMT) no imbalance when fully charged, then massive imbalance develop as you discharge. And if you stop you might see significant rated miles recovery (I don’t know when they rebalance - some claim above a certain SoC but I am not sure that it is limited to that), as rebalancing take place. (This is speculation.)

Last edited:
They’re not equal size and a failure would mean it would have to be shorted out in order to still function but then voltage would be really low, etc. so probably not.

Even in cases of significant capacity loss usually voltage stays good (there are exceptions for failing packs though I think it is a software safety limit probably that kicks in).

Lots of possibilities but you could just have one brick lose 25% of its cells (so 11 cells out of 46 in a brick (4416 total)) and that would result in 25% capacity loss since there is no easy way to recover from that in a single discharge (though it could rebalance when able in theory, multiple times, and approach 0.2% loss - not useful in practice).

If you had something like this I think you’d see no imbalance when fully charged, then massive imbalance develop as you discharge. And if you stop you might see significant rated miles recovery (I don’t know when they rebalance - some claim above a certain SoC but I am not sure that it is limited to that), as rebalancing take places.
Thanks, that’s very insightful.

Thanks, that’s very insightful.
Just thoughts. Hopefully Tesla will give you some idea of what they find. I think in this case it is unlikely that they will say the pack is “normal.” You need to make sure they run diagnostics on it, they should be able to do this remotely and save some hassle (assuming they plan to replace it, they can then schedule a drop off time and get the loaner lined up etc.).

Once I also observed a range loss of 20% immediately after supercharging. Supercharged to 90%, then moved and parked my car to avoid idling charges, and when I pulled away not long after the car was at 70%. Could this be related? I know that when these things happen with a phone it’s not a good sign.

Once I also observed a range loss of 20% immediately after supercharging. Supercharged to 90%, then moved and parked my car to avoid idling charges, and when I pulled away not long after the car was at 70%. Could this be related? I know that when these things happen with a phone it’s not a good sign.
Yeah that’s not great. Very abnormal. Time to have Tesla take a look - let us know how it goes.

Doesn’t the model 3 battery pack consist of 4 modules? I think I have seen this in one of the teardown video’s. In that case 25% missing range could correspond to exactly one defective module? I’m no expert, but those numbers would fit perfectly right?

Will definitely let you guys know when I have news to share!

I’d check with Tesla now if your car is drivable because a new pack takes a long time to get so you don’t want it to die on you.

My E3LD pack made a loud bang while driving away from my first supercharging stop and the car died, they have had the car for 2 weeks and so far all I know is they have to send the battery from he US since they don’t carry them in stock in EU. So might be without the car for 2 months more or something.

Reactions: AAKEE and Ylannl
They had a replacement 3L 82kWh Panasonic pack for @kadettilac in Amsterdam.

So, at some point they had ' em in EU stock.

Bit of a shame that such a critical spare part of the car is not readily available.

Could he have gotten a remanufactured battery? Because since my odometer just hit 500 km before it broke they said they wouldn’t give me a remanufactured pack and instead a brand new one. Still think they should keep those in stock as well though…

They can't keep packs sitting idle right now because they have to go into cars given how demand far outstrips supply.

Well unless they can make sure their packs are 100% working (which they can’t) they have to keep an inventory of spare parts on the right continent. Their other option is buying back cars that break because having a repair time that long is not considered reasonable by law. Otherwise they could just not send a pack for 6 months since they make more money by making a new car.

They are the ones saving the money and trying to pass the cost to the customer. Going to try to reach out to my sales contact to see if he can get hold of someone higher up that can give assurances that they actually sent a pack and when it is arriving. Otherwise I’m contacting lawyers this week.

EDIT: Might add that I actually want to keep the car, it is overall the best EV for me and apart from the battery and a small rattle they were working on it was very nicely put together and very quiet on the road. But I won’t sit there and wait for an unspecified amount of time until Tesla decides they can spare a battery for the broken car they sold me.

Last edited:
Reactions: AAKEE and eivissa
I did an 83km drive last night. When I put the car in Drive I noticed the rated range at 100% is now 460km, up from the 437km I mentioned earlier. Directly after my drive (starting from 100%, consumption 163 Wh/km) I had ~77% left. Didn’t charge the car and this morning it shows around 83% while the range at 100% is 459km.

I have a service appointment next week.

Last edited: