Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post!

Just took delivery of metallic blue M3SR+ with 19" rims in California. Can report only 1 very minor issue with a right side pillar gap being off where it meets the glass roof by maybe 1.5mm. Likely within tolerance specs, but I was going out of my way to find issues. Only other thing I had to get off was the sticky residue on the trim from where the car was wrapped in transport. Orange off does the trick.
Everything else was perfect. I consider myself lucky! I've seen pics of horrendously big gaps on the front of the frunk and the pillars.
Love my Model 3! The amount of torque, even at freeway speeds is amazing!

I took delivery on Saturday. It was a breeze. Panel gaps and paint were perfect - until I got home and it sat under my bright garage LED lights. I found one imperfection in the paint, right above the B Pillar on the drivers side. It almost looks like a thumb print, a slightly dark shadow in the white paint. I have a service appointment this Friday to have it looked at. Luckily I took thorough photos at the dealership during delivery, and you can see it in one of the photos. How I missed it at the delivery I do not know.

I was really shocked at how consistent all my gaps were. Interior was flawless.

I think Tesla has figured out the assembly process, so gap issues are becoming less frequent. I still see reports of paint issues though.

I did find one other issue on my car. It looks like the dual pane windows on the passenger side didn't cure all the way in a couple spots towards the top left of the window. Like there is an air gap. Hopefully with time and California sun/heat it will go away. Getting my windows tinted now, so likely won't see it regardless.

I think Tesla has figured out the assembly process, so gap issues are becoming less frequent. I still see reports of paint issues though.

I did find one other issue on my car. It looks like the dual pane windows on the passenger side didn't cure all the way in a couple spots towards the top left of the window. Like there is an air gap. Hopefully with time and California sun/heat it will go away. Getting my windows tinted now, so likely won't see it regardless.
If you are talking something like in the picture here get the glass replaced first because the tint makes it stand out even more!

Attachments

• IMG_20210724_094423434_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20210724_094423434_HDR~2.jpg
    488 KB · Views: 160
Reactions: Extant
They "claim" this is normal due to the stripping and power lift mechanism. With that said, I know plenty of 2021s, including a guy I work with, where the alignment is near perfect even though the weather strip doesn't go all the way up. The issue obviously is, whatever order they are putting the glass on, and I assume it is going windshield, then sun roof or rear roof, if you have the front or next piece of glass off on the sunroof, you have no choice to get the lines of the glass/gaps between them, so what ends up happening is it ends up being a simple 2mm shifted to the right side of the trunk and moved off the left side giving that gap. Alignment issues all start with the first piece of glass, quarter panels/trunk etc...how they are installed/aligned. It could easily be resolved at the factory by having tighter standards/methods of installing all of the glass/panels and ensuring it is all set correctly..but they don't care, they are just throwing these things together as fast as possible and just giving the old same, hey, it's supposed to be like that and within "tolerances"...blah blah.

So to finish this rant, I take my car in to have them review/resolve several issues, they ended up fixing half of them. 3 of those were obvious, dented speaker grill, sunken door handle, and the front fender/quarter panel gap that meet next to the hood/headlight...well of course, they fix something then make the alignment of the hood like 1mm from hitting the panels now upon closing and screwed it up almost as bad from a visual inspection.

Unreal...how they were just to supposed to get the bumper piece lower that was poking up, all alignment was good, to match the quarter panel piece, and end up having it shifted closer to the hood is beyond me the piece that wasn't the problem....sigh...just a joke their QC and standards. Never see this with any other premium brand....

Now instead of the gaps looking perfect all around, I have this on the right front. As mentioned, the hood gap all around was perfect like the left front is, not anymore...thanks Tesla service!!!

And as I've posted prior, here is my trunk and my coworker's. See the slight difference? Part is the trunk being off on the left side and not matching exactly with the top roof line, the other part is the glass being misalinged..just a few millimeters and this is the result between a good alignment and a bad one. Then, if you move the trunk and adjust that over...guess what, now you have a gap between the rear quarter and trunk that is too big...so there are multiple issues.

Ok enough, you get the point...it is just bad factory QC/tolerances and techniques at Tesla.
How long was your car there. My service center is about an hour away and they're telling me to Uber home and back. Which I don't think an Uber will do when they wouldn't even pick me up 10 minutes from my house.

I plan on staying there and working while I wait.

So in addition to the front passenger side rattle above the window, I have now developed a dashboard rattle on the driver's side that is even more annoying than the passenger side rattle. Definitely will have to bring this up whenever I schedule my first service appt.
1,700 miles on the odo.

Bubbles in the rear glass roof section! Looks like a manufacturing defect in either the glass or lamination. They were small enough that it took me a week to notice but a few are actually at the surface, which makes it a pit. Certain Tesla will fix it, just not certain how to deal with the 1.5 hr drive and leaving the car. Hope they can schedule in a loaner for an overnight job.
glass bubbles1.jpg

glass bubbles2.jpg

Bubbles in the rear glass roof section! Looks like a manufacturing defect in either the glass or lamination. They were small enough that it took me a week to notice but a few are actually at the surface, which makes it a pit. Certain Tesla will fix it, just not certain how to deal with the 1.5 hr drive and leaving the car. Hope they can schedule in a loaner for an overnight job.
View attachment 702014
View attachment 702015
Looks like moisture was present during curing. They'll need to replace the entire window.

I took delivery on Saturday. It was a breeze. Panel gaps and paint were perfect - until I got home and it sat under my bright garage LED lights. I found one imperfection in the paint, right above the B Pillar on the drivers side. It almost looks like a thumb print, a slightly dark shadow in the white paint. I have a service appointment this Friday to have it looked at. Luckily I took thorough photos at the dealership during delivery, and you can see it in one of the photos. How I missed it at the delivery I do not know.

I was really shocked at how consistent all my gaps were. Interior was flawless.

Took the car in for service for the paint "thumbprint". Unfortunately it will require some paint work - but it's so visible I think it would drive me crazy to see it every day.

Our particular service center is a little rough - the building, that is. The staff all seem to be doing their best, but the building appears to be an older car dealership that was retrofitted, fairly poorly I might add. Peeling paint, etc. Coming from Audi and Lexus, its just not the same dealership experience. As long as the actual service work is good, I'm not inclined to care too much.

My issues on the Model 3 LR AWD I picked up today:
  • Two deep scratches in the hood.
  • Passenger window not rolling up after door is shut.
  • Sagging trim on the lower part of the dash (~1/8"-1/4" gap where there shouldn't be one).
  • Some really loud rattles when I hit a section of asphalt that had been stripped for repaving. They were so loud and the section of asphalt was so short that I couldn't even tell where they were coming from.
Also, I inspected the bolts near the trunk power lift strut after seeing some of the posts here about damaged paint/glass. One of the bolts has been turned since the car was painted (you can see the original bolt head alignment was different). Hopefully that means it was re-torqued? I will ask the tech in 2 weeks when I uave my service appointment.

Also, I inspected the bolts near the trunk power lift strut after seeing some of the posts here about damaged paint/glass. One of the bolts has been turned since the car was painted (you can see the original bolt head alignment was different). Hopefully that means it was re-torqued? I will ask the tech in 2 weeks when I uave my service appointment.
Mine looks to have been adjusted after painting too, also just on the power strut side as far as I could tell

First time poster here looking for some advice. I had a 2019 M3 SR+ for the past 2 years that was a terrific car, but sold it recently given the crazy used car prices and was looking forward to upgrading to a M3 LR. This past Wednesday was my delivery date. On Tuesday I got the automated phone call to confirm delivery. Unfortunately, in less than an hour I got a text saying the car would be delayed until at least Saturday.

Shipping delays happen especially with the pandemic and all of the shortages and such. Annoying, but understandable. Due to timing of planned trip for my wife, the logistics/timing for the Saturday pickup was very inopportune, but I made the extra arrangements to make it work. I was set to pick up the car today. Exactly 2 hours before my pickup time, I got a call from Tesla letting me know that they have all but finished prepping the car and it looks great, but unfortunately won't charge.

Obviously not the experience I was hoping for. They can't diagnose the issue until Monday at the earliest as they will need the service folks to take a look. I'm so super bummed about the whole thing and wondering if I should flat out reject the car altogether out of fear that it's a lemon. If I reject the car, I go back in line for the same spec. For reference, I ordered this M3 on June 25 so it has already been more than 2 months. I have paid for the car in full a few weeks back and have requested a refund while they diagnose the issue and while I decide if I want to accept the car.

Option 2 is trying to get a different M3. Unfortunately, not a single LR is available. There is a white M3 performance available in FL that can be shipped, but really wanted the LR given I don't want to have an extra set of wheels/tires just for the winter time. Not the color or the trim level of the car I was hoping to have, but it is the next best thing.

Anyone on here with a M3P drive it at all in the winter time with those tires? We don't get much snow here in NC, but occasionally do, and certainly does get below freezing for reference.

Everyone that I have interacted with Tesla on the phone has been very kind and helpful as possible, but I'm just frustrated about the whole situation. It's not best to make decisions when upset, so going to wait until at least Monday such that I can cool off. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

First time poster here looking for some advice. I had a 2019 M3 SR+ for the past 2 years that was a terrific car, but sold it recently given the crazy used car prices and was looking forward to upgrading to a M3 LR. This past Wednesday was my delivery date. On Tuesday I got the automated phone call to confirm delivery. Unfortunately, in less than an hour I got a text saying the car would be delayed until at least Saturday.

Shipping delays happen especially with the pandemic and all of the shortages and such. Annoying, but understandable. Due to timing of planned trip for my wife, the logistics/timing for the Saturday pickup was very inopportune, but I made the extra arrangements to make it work. I was set to pick up the car today. Exactly 2 hours before my pickup time, I got a call from Tesla letting me know that they have all but finished prepping the car and it looks great, but unfortunately won't charge.

Obviously not the experience I was hoping for. They can't diagnose the issue until Monday at the earliest as they will need the service folks to take a look. I'm so super bummed about the whole thing and wondering if I should flat out reject the car altogether out of fear that it's a lemon. If I reject the car, I go back in line for the same spec. For reference, I ordered this M3 on June 25 so it has already been more than 2 months. I have paid for the car in full a few weeks back and have requested a refund while they diagnose the issue and while I decide if I want to accept the car.

Option 2 is trying to get a different M3. Unfortunately, not a single LR is available. There is a white M3 performance available in FL that can be shipped, but really wanted the LR given I don't want to have an extra set of wheels/tires just for the winter time. Not the color or the trim level of the car I was hoping to have, but it is the next best thing.

Anyone on here with a M3P drive it at all in the winter time with those tires? We don't get much snow here in NC, but occasionally do, and certainly does get below freezing for reference.

Everyone that I have interacted with Tesla on the phone has been very kind and helpful as possible, but I'm just frustrated about the whole situation. It's not best to make decisions when upset, so going to wait until at least Monday such that I can cool off. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

I’d try and chill and let them fix the car. If after they fix it you are unhappy for some reason, you can reject it then.

Tim

Picked up my car on Saturday. Despite the initial pickup being delayed due to some paint work the car needed. The car looked pretty much perfect on pickup despite some grease smudges on the inside that should wipe off. Overall super happy!

I’ve owned a M3P for almost 2 years with few issues. A couple of service calls, both of which were efficiently handled. I recommended the M3 to a friend who was replacing his Audi, he opted to buy a used M3P from Tesla with 8000 on the clock. Upon collecting it he noticed a few paint chips and was told to pop it in to his local SC for them to sort out. This he did, and the SC took the car round to their local approved body shop for appraisal. Their report came back stating there was major paint damage to all 14 panels (as if sprayed with stones) and woud cost 5k for a full respray. Tesla are saying it’s within their used car spec and are refusing to engage with my friend. He has tried rejecting the vehicle (which he has had for 3 weeks now) but Tesla are refusing to acknowledge this and are ignoring his emails. Is there a mechanism for escalating issues before taking legal action? The car is still at the body shop and he’s refusing to collect it, but he’s over 50k out of pocket. I’m a bit embarrassed to have recommended Tesla now. I suggested him requesting a new LR from them as a replacement but he says they aren’t open to any negotiation. He feels scammed. He’s going back to Audi now since his relationship with Tesla is completely broken. Any advice from anyone here with success of escalating complaints?

If body damage and/or paint defect is noticed at the time of delivery, will Tesla fix the defect if the buyer schedules an appointment within 3-days / 100 miles?

Example: paint chips/scratches At the time of deliver.

Reason why I am asking: Preparing myself to determine if I should reject delivery or accept with the understanding paint issues are fixed.

I have noted others have panel gap issues fixed, etc via scheduling an appointment but wasn’t sure if paint issues were fixed too.

If body damage and/or paint defect is noticed at the time of delivery, will Tesla fix the defect if the buyer schedules an appointment within 3-days / 100 miles?

Example: paint chips/scratches At the time of deliver.

Reason why I am asking: Preparing myself to determine if I should reject delivery or accept with the understanding paint issues are fixed.

I have noted others have panel gap issues fixed, etc via scheduling an appointment but wasn’t sure if paint issues were fixed too.
Yes, they will fix paint issues. The message I got in the app is that they will send my car to the local Tesla certified body shop to fix my scratches.

Reactions: MightySanDiego