Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Funny smell inside car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree the Lysol method is not for anyone sensitive to smells. I use the Klima product, it does have an odor when applied, but it seems to dissipate fairly quickly and is much more tolerable for me.

What the SC uses leaves a very strong odor as well, BTW. It was hard for me to drive home after they treated mine last time.

My local ranger offered for both cars to let me use the Ionizer that they use for smoke and smells in loaners for a couple days. I think I might do that post cleaning and let them sit for a couple days. Get on my bike for a week.

Reactions: Az_Rael
It may be much simpler than all that. I had the smell until I changed my Cabin Overheat Protection settings. I first noticed the smell back in June, with the system set to use AC to keep the car below the max temp (I think this is the default setting). I changed it to the next setting which doesn't run AC, but pulls fresh air through the car to mitigate the greenhouse effect and reduce the max temp. Within a day or two the smell was gone.

I'm not in a situation where I'm in danger of leaving a vulnerable creature in the car, so I don't miss it. Plus, I was finding the battery drain to keep the car cool using AC (with nobody in it) was pretty excessive, something like 10% battery during the Georgia summer workday. I debated with myself about whether a side benefit of the AC setting would make the interior materials last longer. But when I realized that the Cabin Overheat Protection was only active for the first day (12 hr?) after you park, it's clear that Tesla did it to protect the kids & maybe pets, not to preserve the interior.

• Informative
Reactions: XLR82XS and alexGS
9 mo old M3 and I have the same issue. It seems absurd for Tesla to say this is not covered when it is must be a design/function problem. I have owned dozens of cars over the years and have never had an issue like this on a new car. If enough people bring this up as an issue perhaps it could be escalated. I understand cabin air filters not being covered for routine maintenance but this is clearly out of the ordinary and should be remedied.

Reactions: Autumn
So - assuming the evaporator is cleaned and the cabin filter replaced (or when driving a new Model 3), is it beneficial to turn off the air conditioning (the refrigeration circuit) maintaining airflow for about five minutes before reaching a destination, so that the system has a chance to dry out?

I’ve always done this in other cars (at the risk of the windows fogging).

-Alex

So - assuming the evaporator is cleaned and the cabin filter replaced (or when driving a new Model 3), is it beneficial to turn off the air conditioning (the refrigeration circuit) maintaining airflow for about five minutes before reaching a destination, so that the system has a chance to dry out?
I'm sure it wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't think it's necessary. If you check on your car maybe 10-15 minutes after you park, you'll hear the fans running for exactly this purpose. I've not had any trouble running AC all the way to the destination and letting the car dry itself out after I've parked. Anyway, I hate sweating during the last leg of the drive when I shut the AC off early in ICE cars.

• Informative
Reactions: alexGS
Probably mildew in the system. Condensation builds up and harbors bacteria and all this lovely smelling funk. Would be helpful to turn on the heat for about one minute to dry out the condensation so moisture doesn’t build up after using AC for the last minute of your drive. If you have the funky smell, you might want to spray some deodorizer or Lysol into the air intake to kill off the bacteria to freshen up the HVAC system.

• Disagree
Reactions: maroon555
Probably mildew in the system. Condensation builds up and harbors bacteria and all this lovely smelling funk. Would be helpful to turn on the heat for about one minute to dry out the condensation so moisture doesn’t build up after using AC for the last minute of your drive. If you have the funky smell, you might want to spray some deodorizer or Lysol into the air intake to kill off the bacteria to freshen up the HVAC system.

For what it’s worth the smell is gone today and yesterday. If it’s due to the moisture I’m sure a software fix would allow for drying things automatically given the right conditions.

Model 3 LR RWD reporting in. Nov 2018 build. Purchased in January 2019. First noticed the odor (vinegar, feet, whatever you want to call it) around end of april. Didn't think much of it, but now its July and I can't use my AC without gagging from the smell.

I had cabin overheat w/AC enabled and first noticed the smell after a rainy warm week. I have since changed overheat protection to fan only, but the smell is only getting worse.

Booked a Milford, CT service center appointment for 7/15. I was told the service center will determine if its covered under warranty. I'm going to push back if they try charging me for cleaning. I don't mind paying for air filters, but I had the car for 4 months and it smells worse than my 24 year old integra. That's just unacceptable for any car let alone a luxury car.

I'll let you all know how i make out.

Last edited:
Model 3 LR RWD reporting in. Nov 2018 build. Purchased in January 2019. First noticed the odor (vinegar, feet, whatever you want to call it) around end of april. Didn't think much of it, but now its July and I can't use my AC without gagging from the smell.

I had cabin overheat w/AC enabled and first noticed the smell after a rainy warm week. I have since changed overheat protection to fan only, but the smell is only getting worse.

Booked a Milford, CT service center appointment for 7/15. I was told the service center will determine if its covered under warranty. I'm going to push back if they try charging me for cleaning. I don't mind paying for air filters, but I had the car for 4 months and it smells worse than my 24 year old integra. That's just unacceptable for any car let alone a luxury car.

I'll let you all know how i make out.
Any update? Mine smells like vinegar for a few minutes, especially after a rain.

Sometimes I will sit in my car a bit after returning from lunch. After about 10 minutes in the car with everything off, the vents kick on, aimed at your feet. It blows for around 5-10 minutes and the air is cool. Not cold, but cool. I assume this is the software fix trying to help the problem by blowing outside air over the condenser to try to dry it, but for me it hasn't fixed it. My A/C stinks pretty bad as Austin is pretty humid right now.

I kept smelling a vinegar smell every now and then in my model 3. One day while I was at my local supercharger a mobile unit was there and I asked him. He knew right away what it was and fixed it on the spot! Something about the filaments too much moisture. I love my car and everyone that has either ridden in it or drove it loves it as well. Very pleased with the local mobile guy CJ and his rapid response! If you ever smell vinegar now you know! A sour note to my sweet experience with my sweet car!

I kept smelling a vinegar smell every now and then in my model 3. One day while I was at my local supercharger a mobile unit was there and I asked him. He knew right away what it was and fixed it on the spot! Something about the filaments too much moisture. I love my car and everyone that has either ridden in it or drove it loves it as well. Very pleased with the local mobile guy CJ and his rapid response! If you ever smell vinegar now you know! A sour note to my sweet experience with my sweet car!

Was informed when took my 3 in that a lot of the new Tesla 3 are experiencing this and it’s a flaw in the new design. Waiting to get car back. Hopefully rectified.

I have same issue in a model 3 dual motor. Not sure how mildew can survive in Arizona. It smells for first 10 minutes while ac runs then clears up or my nose ignores it hard to tell. Going to take it in for service and see what they say. I have it set to keep cool but don’t run AC as that will kill the battery.