Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Powering house or other things with Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, apparently we might not need to do this much longer.... The charger already in our Model 3/Y might be able to produce AC power.
Tesla quietly adds bidirectional charging capability for game-changing new features - Electrek

Though, I don't really understand that schematic. Why would it support three phases? I don't know if model 3s outside the US support three phase power charging...

Tesla uses 3 phase AC motors so that's the reason for 3 phases. Frankly, the article is somewhat misleading because it does not mention that many converter topologies are "ready" for bi-directional conversion. There are many more things required beyond than what's shown to make practically usable inverter/charger.

I have a dedicated backup battery (non Powerwall) at the moment, I can use my Tesla to charge that safely to power the house. It's more expensive, but I really don't want to brick my $60K vehicle. I prefer to use that to charge another battery or device that runs the inverter. I can do it without lifting the frunk or the trunk or any wiring.

What do you mean by "brick"? If you mean permanently disable the car then that's unfounded fear.

Tesla uses 3 phase AC motors so that's the reason for 3 phases. Frankly, the article is somewhat misleading because it does not mention that many converter topologies are "ready" for bi-directional conversion. There are many more things required beyond than what's shown to make practically usable inverter/charger.

Yes, but I'm assuming they are showing the schematic of the charger, not the motor controller. I don't really understand why they would have a three-phase controller there.

But, I am not as familiar with the Model 3. On the Model S, the charger is separate from the motor controller / inverter.

Yes, but I'm assuming they are showing the schematic of the charger, not the motor controller. I don't really understand why they would have a three-phase controller there.

But, I am not as familiar with the Model 3. On the Model S, the charger is separate from the motor controller / inverter.

Sorry I think I looked at it backwards. The 3 phases are so the charger can work with either 2 or 3 phase AC power.

Yes, I meant using the 12V outlet to power a charger for another 12V battery, which then provides the surge power to start the compressor. The 12V on the car just needs to provide average power, which for my fridge is about 100W

AC/DC inverters are not the most reliable appliance, I would prefer to take the direct load else somewhere else other than the car. With that said, my system cost me $2500. I should just install a PW at 11K and got it a day.

AC/DC inverters are not the most reliable appliance, I would prefer to take the direct load else somewhere else other than the car. With that said, my system cost me $2500. I should just install a PW at 11K and got it a day.

I can charge both units with the 12v connector in the car

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 114
Wow, apparently we might not need to do this much longer.... The charger already in our Model 3/Y might be able to produce AC power.
Tesla quietly adds bidirectional charging capability for game-changing new features - Electrek

Though, I don't really understand that schematic. Why would it support three phases? I don't know if model 3s outside the US support three phase power charging...

This appears to have been debunked elsewhere

Well, we got bidirectional in there after all?

Thanks for sharing. So, the schematic published by Electrek is clearly wrong. Now, it makes me wondering if they do any fact checking before publishing content.

Yeah, it was close. It looks like transistors on both sides, but upon closer inspection they have just diodes on the output side. I watched the video. I could see why the other teardown engineer got it wrong.