Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Matrix LED Headlights Retrofit Journey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1-wire LINbus communicate notes from master to slave (headlight)
there's 3 wires new vs 6 wires old
somone can read out the code and inject that code to headlight to make it work
impossible..
education video

Attachments

• Image 5.jpg
    Image 5.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 127.0.0.0
I thought about it, but that would most likely require gateway configuration change since charge port door would be on different communication and it has to update the visualization in the screen. Also the fact that it messes with the high voltage wiring I'm probably going to pass on it.
Here is a complete thread on how to install the new tail lights: 2021 Refresh Tail Lamp and Charge Port Retrofit Project
basically, you don’t nWed to retrofit the charge port, you transplant the inner parts of the new tail light in the older outer shell, this way you keep the connectors and the body attachments unchanged.

Last edited:
Reactions: Christopher1
Opening the headlights is not impossible, some of us already have been doing this to the HID headlights to retrofit better projectors or chrome delete for a few years now. All those items you linked are just 3rd party upgrades to the DRLs, blackout the chrome in headlights or upgrading to refresh headlights in pre-refresh model like nosecone cars that came with HID. Nothing there indicates supporting swapping the guts of matrix to older headlights or any sort of retrofitting. But if you're willing to front the bill for R&D I'm sure someone could benefit from what you want to know is possible.

Opening the headlights is not impossible, some of us already have been doing this to the HID headlights to retrofit better projectors or chrome delete for a few years now. All those items you linked are just 3rd party upgrades to the DRLs, blackout the chrome in headlights or upgrading to refresh headlights in pre-refresh model like nosecone cars that came with HID. Nothing there indicates supporting swapping the guts of matrix to older headlights or any sort of retrofitting. But if you're willing to front the bill for R&D I'm sure someone could benefit from what you want to know is possible.
Check again, the ones posted are not for the nosecone HIDs, but for the DRLs on the refresh headlight. The second link also provides if someone wants the adapter to use refresh headlights to older cars (personally expecting an adapter t use with stock lights). My comment above was not to enable Matrix, but to improve the light output by using the LED projector from refresh.

I tried looking for hours. For a Model 3/Y Matrix retrofit its plug and play but it needs a software code change that's very hard to get.
With the older S's it seems like it's not possible as it's a different plug. This might be the case with my 23 Model X as it's just the same headlight. I'm hoping the X matrix is the same but again it comes down to the software change.

One guy got the Model S matrix headlights and tried it out but never reported back so I'm assuming it never worked.

WIth the Y I got the alpha rex projector headlights and while it's way brighter I still like the Matrix performance headlights the best

Check again, the ones posted are not for the nosecone HIDs, but for the DRLs on the refresh headlight. The second link also provides if someone wants the adapter to use refresh headlights to older cars (personally expecting an adapter t use with stock lights). My comment above was not to enable Matrix, but to improve the light output by using the LED projector from refresh.
Its a shame that the refreshed lights on Model S is uglier than the facelift ones. Im only upgrading because of the Matrix and other functions that they have.

Reactions: kirkusss
Wait so the evetesla model S that's just the older housing right? Not the projector bulbs?
Oh yeah the second link is just for the DRL. MAN was gonna say. I'd pay for the retrofit in a heart beat

Figured I'd search and update this post now that someone else linked in another thread that there's 'solution' available now.

Figured I'd search and update this post now that someone else linked in another thread that there's 'solution' available now.
So they are plug and play? And they fit the connectors. I dont think they are oem since the oem ones doesnt do the highbeam effects or something like that.