Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Matrix LED Headlights Retrofit Journey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see that @leecox mentioned swapping the adapters. Sorry if I missed it but did you try that?

Finding a known good headlight won't be easy. You will need a really good friend with global headlights in their car to let you borrow it or a really good friend at Tesla to troubleshoot it.

Have you talked with Zapaska? Their 'new' headlights are 'seconds' and the problem you are seeing might be the reason it did not pass for Tesla.
I have swapped adapter and they did not change anything, I completed the software update and unfortunately, the issue is still there. I'm looking into the VC_Front as well right now.

Reactions: leecox and Bull
Is there any chance to retrofit a legacy Model X from 2016? Mcu2 and hw3 are in, so it is similar to model 3 where such upgrades have been done to matrix.

Anyone? Thx
Unfortunately, the build branches of software for the Gen 1 cars and Gen 2 cars aren't the same. You could install them, but there is no way on the Gen 1 build to tell it you have Matrix headlights as the code to control them isn't there. Unless Tesla back ports the code to the Gen 1 cars it won't work. A Model 3 is Gen 2, Refresh Model S-X 2021+ also Gen 2. Model S-X from 2016 is Gen 1.

The key difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2 is Normal fuses vs eFuses. Gen 2 cars don't have regular fuses and have fully integrated vehicle control modules/BCMs. This is how Tesla can add new functions to the cars through software updates. Rivian also recently announces the same changes on their R1 platform. Making Gen 1 vs Gen 2 vehicles with their Zone architecture.

So there's no way to have matrix headlight parts installed on a year 2017 facelift Model S? Meaning just with the basic headlight functionality (DRL-only / short lights / long lights / turn signaling). Not expecting matrix control of any kind, just similar dumb functions as original headlights - I've understood original parts have no levelling functionality whatsoever.

So there's no way to have matrix headlight parts installed on a year 2017 facelift Model S? Meaning just with the basic headlight functionality (DRL-only / short lights / long lights / turn signaling). Not expecting matrix control of any kind, just similar dumb functions as original headlights - I've understood original parts have no levelling functionality whatsoever.
2024-04-23 05-20-17.jpeg2024-04-21 11-47-05.jpeg2024-04-21 11-47-17.jpeg

Hi largon, this is an example of the matrix headlights installed on my 2017 MS. This pair was modified from the 2023 model as the seller claimed. As per the previous post, the attached point geometrics are altered thus it seems unlikely to fit. Those headlights are not cheap and shipped from mainland China. However, it works on my MS but only the basic functions like hi-low beams and the corner light. Besides the functionalities of these matrix headlights, there are bigger gaps than the original in the hood, fenders, and front bumper. Based on the research, it won't be the adaptive or leveling function, and yet I guess it can improve by replacing the customized headlight ECUs. I like to say I am pretty happy about this replacement.