Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matte Obeche vs. Figured Ash (and other decisions) - Help Me, TMC!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Folks,

Background: Been lurking since last summer. Got my reservation for the 3 but seeing the refresh on the S coupled with the fact that existing Tesla owners get M3 priority (well played, Musk) has me pulling the trigger on an S. So far I know I'm going to get the 90D, MC Red, tan nextgen, black headliner. I had to sacrifice the upgraded stereo and air suspension to make the jump from 70 to 90 not *so* bad. I will be driving LOTS of miles. I live 5 hours away from nearest store so I can't go in and see everything.

So, I'd love your help deciding three things:

Figured Ash or Matte Obeche - thoughts on how this might look with my color combo? Tesla guy texted me some pics from the store on possibilities but I'd love more feedback.

78 amp charger - I thought I wouldn't need this since I park my car every evening for 10+ hours, but since I will be traveling a lot, this might be useful?

Should I have this delivered at home or at the store in Dallas, a trip that is fairly easy for me but still 5 hours away? I'm brand new to Tesla.

If you are charging overnight at home, you do not need the 78 amp charger/inverter. If you go on road trips off the supercharger routes it may be helpful. I have not missed having the second charger in 3+ years of ownership, but I am in California where we have good supercharger coverage. Check places you go on plug share to see if there are high amperage chargers available. Most public chargers are low amperage.

I probably recommend delivery at home so you have some time to get use to the car before going on a road trip. A few days after delivery we went on a 200+ mile trip and I remember being fairly nervous. Others will say go for it as many take factory delivery then drive across California.

+1 to @johnnyS. I agree. I have not missed having more than 40amps yet. I charge at home every night with no issues at all. I gotr the 80amp upgrade and have never used it. A waste of money for me, but I didn't know any better at the time. When I travel, I use SCs. I have only had to use a ChargePoint once. And delivery is worth it. Is it still free?

As for Obeche Matte vs. Figured Ash: I have Obeche and am very happy with it. I love the very classy look. However, if they had the Ash when I bought, I would have gone for the light version. I really like it a lot. But that's just taste. What I like about it is that it is different. I've never seen that in another car before.

Don't worry about the air at all. I got it. But I need it where I live in the mountains. Lots of very high areas and rough roads I need to get over. Otherwise, I would have skipped it. On the HiFi, there are good upgrade options out there for down the road, if you choose. The ultra whatever is OK, but not great at all. Many posts on that. Reus (sp?) being the best upgrade review that I have seen.

Welcome to our family. You will love more than you can imagine!

Reactions: Dengar22
So far I know I'm going to get the 90D, MC Red, tan nextgen, black headliner. ...

Figured Ash or Matte Obeche - thoughts on how this might look with my color combo?

FWIW I have the same color combo on our Model X and totally went with the Figured Ash. I was a bit disappointed that it was a satin versus a high gloss but it looks better in brighter light.

Reactions: Dengar22
+1 to @johnnyS. I agree. I have not missed having more than 40amps yet. I charge at home every night with no issues at all. I gotr the 80amp upgrade and have never used it. A waste of money for me, but I didn't know any better at the time. When I travel, I use SCs. I have only had to use a ChargePoint once. And delivery is worth it. Is it still free?

As for Obeche Matte vs. Figured Ash: I have Obeche and am very happy with it. I love the very classy look. However, if they had the Ash when I bought, I would have gone for the light version. I really like it a lot. But that's just taste. What I like about it is that it is different. I've never seen that in another car before.

Don't worry about the air at all. I got it. But I need it where I live in the mountains. Lots of very high areas and rough roads I need to get over. Otherwise, I would have skipped it. On the HiFi, there are good upgrade options out there for down the road, if you choose. The ultra whatever is OK, but not great at all. Many posts on that. Reus (sp?) being the best upgrade review that I have seen.

Welcome to our family. You will love more than you can imagine!

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I guess my bigger question on the charger for you travelers is, you don't necessarily ONLY stay at hotels with destination chargers if you're on a major route with good SC access? I guess that's what I had in my mind, that I would only stay at those.