Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max Manufacturing Capacity of Tesla Gigafactories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to find information about the maximum potential output of Tesla Gigafactories. I realize this is not a simple question, however I thought I would be able to find some references in articles or research reports online but I am having trouble finding info about the potential output.

For example, what is the max potential output of Gigafactory 3 in China when it is fully operational years down the road? How many Model 3s could be produced if there were no constraints? What are the main constraints?

How big is the potential output of the other Gigafactories? Same questions.

Does anyone know the location of any articles or reports that have forecasted these types of numbers?

Thanks!

GF1 has a target of 35GWh/year for phase1 and long term the goal is 150GWh/year, but this might be raised if some manufacturing breakthrough is presented at the battery day next year.
GF2 has a target of 1k solar roofs/week at end of 2019 and 2k solar roofs/week at the end of 2020.
GF3 capacity is targeted for 250k vehicles/year in Phase1 and 500k vechicles/year in Phase 2.
GF4 will likely target same capacity as GF3.

Reactions: primo
GF1 has a target of 35GWh/year for phase1 and long term the goal is 150GWh/year, but this might be raised if some manufacturing breakthrough is presented at the battery day next year.
GF2 has a target of 1k solar roofs/week at end of 2019 and 2k solar roofs/week at the end of 2020.
GF3 capacity is targeted for 250k vehicles/year in Phase1 and 500k vechicles/year in Phase 2.
GF4 will likely target same capacity as GF3.

Thanks for the info. So GF1 is only used to produce batteries? There are no cars assembled there?

Thanks for the info. So GF1 is only used to produce batteries? There are no cars assembled there?

There was some speculation that Tesla would assemble the Model Y at GF1, but they ultimately decided to do so at their Fremont plant, where the Model S, Model X, and Model 3 are assembled (with some Model 3s soon to be made in GF3, of course).

Speaking of the Fremont factory, this article claims that it had a theoretical capacity of 500,000 cars a year back when it was run by GM and Toyota, with a top actual production during that period of 430,000. Since Tesla EVs are somewhat different from the Corolla and related vehicles that GM/Toyota built in Fremont, and Tesla has expanded the site with its "tent," it's not clear if the Fremont factory's capacity is still 500,000/year, but that's a reasonable starting guess, absent other information.