Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max tire sizes that don't rub = and Winter!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone post maximum tire sizes which don't rub - 19" wheels to start.

The issue is the stock tires don't last as long as they could because they are small compared to the weight of the vehicle - for efficiency reasons . . . i.e., 'fuel' economy. I've always been the guy who usually swaps out tires right after I purchase a new car to get good grip. If you buy a new car - and tires are less than 100 miles - they're actually worth something in trade too.

Bigger tires will get you better handling - and save you some $$$ maybe because you could go to a more popular size with more choices.

The goal is to NOT change wheel diameter.

For those who have never done it - stock size in the Model S 19" wheels is 245/45-19 for the 2017 year. Diameter is 27.7"

The goal is to maintain that diameter - the next size up that works is 275/40 which might be too big given the tolerances I have heard about - you can go smaller with your fronts to allow steering -and do 275/40 in the rear to allow you to take advantage of the power to the rear wheels - esp the 2WD cars - the more rubber on the road the more acceleration you can accept without wheelspin. Remember - ABS works on launch too -

Now on to Winter- the best conversion for the 19" wheel is to go to an 18" wheel - and 18" steel wheel is prob fairly cheap compared to a custom wheel - but its only money, right?

The exact diameter match for the 19" wheels is a 225/55 - 18 size. You will get exactly 27.7" of diameter - the only difference is a 20mm narrower profile. The narrower profile will get the tire to bite into snow better [smaller contact patch, same weight, more pressure on the patch gives a little more traction] and also works a little better on wet too by pushing more water out the sipes.

No rubbing here because the tires are narrower.

Anyway, figured someone might want to know . . .

• Informative
Reactions: arcus
Can someone post maximum tire sizes which don't rub - 19" wheels to start.

The issue is the stock tires don't last as long as they could because they are small compared to the weight of the vehicle - for efficiency reasons . . . i.e., 'fuel' economy. I've always been the guy who usually swaps out tires right after I purchase a new car to get good grip. If you buy a new car - and tires are less than 100 miles - they're actually worth something in trade too.

Bigger tires will get you better handling - and save you some $$$ maybe because you could go to a more popular size with more choices.

The goal is to NOT change wheel diameter.

For those who have never done it - stock size in the Model S 19" wheels is 245/45-19 for the 2017 year. Diameter is 27.7"

The goal is to maintain that diameter - the next size up that works is 275/40 which might be too big given the tolerances I have heard about - you can go smaller with your fronts to allow steering -and do 275/40 in the rear to allow you to take advantage of the power to the rear wheels - esp the 2WD cars - the more rubber on the road the more acceleration you can accept without wheelspin. Remember - ABS works on launch too -

Now on to Winter- the best conversion for the 19" wheel is to go to an 18" wheel - and 18" steel wheel is prob fairly cheap compared to a custom wheel - but its only money, right?

The exact diameter match for the 19" wheels is a 225/55 - 18 size. You will get exactly 27.7" of diameter - the only difference is a 20mm narrower profile. The narrower profile will get the tire to bite into snow better [smaller contact patch, same weight, more pressure on the patch gives a little more traction] and also works a little better on wet too by pushing more water out the sipes.

No rubbing here because the tires are narrower.

Anyway, figured someone might want to know . . .
I am trying the 275 40 19 Just on the back. I ordered them and they go on next week. Curious how it effects traction on my P90D, and range, noice, I do not think they will rub on the back but I might drive around the block with them on the front just to see if they fit. I am guessing no!