Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximising winter range at 22degC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 1/2020 Fremont SR+ with the old 50kWh 2170 pack & no heat pump. Its energy screen keeps saying I'd get slightly better range if I increased my cabin air temp to 22degC (i.e. 71½degF).

This seems counter-intuitive to me. It's winter in Australia, most of my driving is at night, with air con on manual around 19-20degC, and external temps around -2degC to +10degC (28degF to 50degF).

I drive around 1200km (745 freedom units) per week, mostly on Friday and Saturday nights, so this kinda matters to me. There aren't any superchargers (or third-party DC chargers) in Northern or Western Canberra. Only at the Airport and at the southernmost part of town. Long uber runs from the airport to those regions make me anxious, as I'll easily need 10% up my sleeve just to return to the airport supercharger.

Can anyone suggest why the car is so keen on 22degC?

The programmers of that screen are a bit schizophrenic. With the temperature set to 20 C, I've had the recommendation to set the temperature to +22 C to save energy and at the same time to lower the temperature by 1 C to save energy.
And that error has been in for a few software updates. The thing that bugs me most is that you can not make proper bugreports. Open a github or something, Tesla. Please let is make you aware of the bugs in your software because you apparently are not.