Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CO mountains winter conditions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got back from a trip to Copper yesterday. P3D with Michellin X-Ice tires performed great even on the snow covered portions of the drive. Already been to Eldora and most likely will head up to WP tomorrow (taking full advantage of my week off here). I wonder if we met spinbackwards what category you would put me under!

nice recount of cold weather driving at altitudes. The cold and the altitude gains are a tough combo for the batteries. I'm at 5000 asl
Like the idea you were able to communicate with a person of a completely different persuasion.
And your excuse for buying a tesla? environment, I'll bet. You have to admit it's fun to open your mind to a different set of driving/parameters.
Promise me you don't go out in public in those stretch pants:))

Yeah, it was super cool talking to the Indiana dude. I make all these assumptions of how I think people are. But when I talk to them in person, it connects me to them. And, I get connected to their struggle.

You would think, looking at me, that #1 was the environment. We have solar, we're Gore Vidal Liberals. But #1 wasn't the planet - it was cost. I ran all the numbers, figured that the car was going to cost much less than sticker with all the savings.

I ran the numbers on keeping the car 6 years, figured it was going to cost about 35k. So I couldn't not, buy it. But now, I doubt I'll keep it that long. As long as we have the dough-ray-me, I'll most likely trade up once we see a battery bump.

But 1a was definitely the environment.

They're women's tights -- great for skiing.

Just got back from a trip to Copper yesterday. P3D with Michellin X-Ice tires performed great even on the snow covered portions of the drive. Already been to Eldora and most likely will head up to WP tomorrow (taking full advantage of my week off here). I wonder if we met spinbackwards what category you would put me under!

I don't want to make assumptions! I'd rather just talk. Meet for turns?

So far, I haven't been able to get car sideways. This morning, it was slick up here. Went to street with no cars. Stomped on it. The car wouldn't slide. It corrected itself. So I'm more impressed with winter performance.

Still, though, not ready to put it ahead of our old S4 Avant. That car with Blizzak's, felt like it had spikes.

Reactions: silentcorp
Seems like charging to 100% is taboo, so I just don't do it.
I wouldn't call it taboo. The accumulated wisdom of TMC seems to be, if you need the 100% charge to do your drive, go for it, but plan things so your charge is complete shortly before you set out. The taboo isn't so much charging to 100% as it is holding at 100%, that is.

'Course, if you're not going to need the extra miles, there's no call to be doing it, the more so because charging those last few percent takes forever.

Do you guys think LR RWD with Stock 19” tires will be good enough for winter road trip from San Diego to Denver, Colorado??

I’m unsure if I need to get better tires or snow chains?

Thanks
You should be fine.

I wouldn't call it taboo. The accumulated wisdom of TMC seems to be, if you need the 100% charge to do your drive, go for it, but plan things so your charge is complete shortly before you set out. The taboo isn't so much charging to 100% as it is holding at 100%, that is.

'Course, if you're not going to need the extra miles, there's no call to be doing it, the more so because charging those last few percent takes forever.
The latest line from Tesla recommends doing it once every few months apparently.

Do you guys think LR RWD with Stock 19” tires will be good enough for winter road trip from San Diego to Denver, Colorado??

I’m unsure if I need to get better tires or snow chains?

Thanks
If you come through CO and the roads look bad, meaning an inch or more of snow, I'd take a break and wait for the roads to clear rather than taking a chance.

The plows come out quick 'round here. Once they do, it's a lot better.

And keep in mind here in CO there's a law where at times, it's illegal to proceed without proper tires. I'm not sure how they'd know if you had proper tires or not. Just sayin'.

Are you talking about that third-party video being discussed in another thread? Because, unless it's supported by something posted at tesla.com (or in the manual), I'm going to give something that shows up in a YouTube channel exactly as much weight as I get other YouTube vids.
Yeah I think that's the source. I'm not worried either way as I wind up doing that anyway due to the occasional long trip.

Reactions: jgs
Handling: I've not been able to get the car to go sideways in the snow, which is a really good thing. I can get it to slip, but then it corrects itself. So while I'm not ready to say the car is as good in the winter as our old S4 Avant, it's better than our 2012 A7 that we sold to get this car.t in their car, staring at their phone (like we don't do that enough already??). Not me. I like to get out and walk around.

Nice report. Us EV owners in the mountains get a much different experience than those in the flats. Particularly with winter conditions added into the mix. I'm able to slide the car easily, but then again, I've got a P3D+ with the perf tires on it and am in the mountains West of Boulder, so we've got snow. Thankfully, I've got Hakka R3's being put on tomorrow. :D

Nice report. Us EV owners in the mountains get a much different experience than those in the flats. Particularly with winter conditions added into the mix. I'm able to slide the car easily, but then again, I've got a P3D+ with the perf tires on it and am in the mountains West of Boulder, so we've got snow. Thankfully, I've got Hakka R3's being put on tomorrow. :D
You might want to update your location to indicate you are no longer in the flats of the Netherlands! ;)

• Funny
Reactions: jgs
I was able to get from Vail Pass to Denver with one AP disengagement. There's a few turns where it gets mighty close to the guard rail, so I wouldn't recommend it when roads are icy, but AP does very well on 70 overall IMO.

I'm not as confident. I've found that it gets too close to semis, going around corners. But I use it.

When the roads are snow and what not, I don't. Of course this is not a surprise, as the cameras get blocked with snow or the lines are covered.

Peace and love,

Yes, this brings up a post I saw on YouTube today, here:

I'm surprised by the number of posts I read (note to self: stop reading posts) about range in the winter. I guess I was there too before I got the car in that I was counting on 310. After all, it's advertised as 310, right? Right!

I have a good friend with a Model S, he set me straight. He explained winter (but his estimates were way off), wind, rain, all the stuff that hurts range. He explained the 80/20 charging.

It didn't dissuade me. I knew it was early for this car, I was bound to have...some issues. But the lure of EV, joining the Tesla cult, and helping the planet was just too much to resist. And of course the numbers worked.

Don't know why brothers and sisters don't get that an electric car battery is just like a cell phone battery - doesn't work as good in heat or cold. I've brought it up before, I think brother Elon could do a much better of job of laying the EV thing out so people get it. But I digress.

Congrats on the Hakka's, we have them on our van. Kick arse tire. I'm putting them on the 3 next year. Once you get them on, take it in the snow and give it the juice -- see if you can get it to slide.