Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CO mountains winter conditions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Howdy,

"Just a quick recap" on winter driving. Hopefully it'll help CO drivers.

Car: M3, red brakes.

Last night's trip: Home (Eagle, elevation 6700) from Denver (elevation 5280). I was experiencing 50% loss all the way from Denver to Silverthorne (elevation 9035).

Temps leaving Denver were high 20's. By the time I got to Silverthorne temp was 6 (F), probably colder. It was windy, the roads were dry.

Silverthorne to Eagle got better.

Going over Vail Pass (summit elevation 10,662), it was 0 to -6. Windy. Pulled into my garage it was -2. Silverthorne to Eagle was 84 rated miles, 63.5 actual miles.

General trip notes: Eagle to Denver is 135 miles. If the roads are dry and the temps are in above 20 (F) in the mountains, then warmer in Denver, I can get to Denver on a 90% charge going 4 over. Then have a little left, to go where I need to, so long as it's in Denver.

But if not, I top off to 80% in Silverthorne.

Denver to home: As a rule now, I leave Denver with 90%. This covers me if there's problems on I-70, or the conditions are lousy. It's about 70 miles from Denver to the supercharger in Silverthorne, so even in the most extreme situation, it's hard to see where I'd run out of juice. Anything is possible.

Hey Elon: Please put a supercharger in Dumont, @ the Starbucks. It's perfect.

Tires: I put Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's on. I like the tire. But next year I'll either get Nokian Hakkapelitta's, or the Bizzaks. I love, love the Hakka's. Blizzaks are a close 2nd. Hakka's are far and away, best snow tire I've had.

Shout out to T Sportline: They're making a 18" rim that'll work for our car. Seems like great customer service there, they called me when I had a question. I'll buy their rims for next winter, put Hakka's on. That'll be tight.

Handling: I've not been able to get the car to go sideways in the snow, which is a really good thing. I can get it to slip, but then it corrects itself. So while I'm not ready to say the car is as good in the winter as our old S4 Avant, it's better than our 2012 A7 that we sold to get this car.

Chatting at the supercharger: Yesterday I had a nice chat with two other Teslaians. One was a Conservative, Evangelical from Indiana (2018 X) traveling across country to the Left Coast. The other was a younger trustafarian (2013 S). Neither one of them bought the car because of the environment.

The Indiana dude bought the car because of cost. He's going to drive it 400k miles. The buy in for him was all the savings on gas and what not.

The trustafarian bought the car because of the cool factor.

The Indiana dude was good to talk to. It was interesting to hear his thoughts on politics and religion. My guess is he's about as right as they go and I'm...much left of that. We shook hands and wished each other well. I said I'd pray for him in my own way, he seemed to be surprised by that.

I like talking to people at the supercharger. Most just sit in their car, staring at their phone (like we don't do that enough already??). Not me. I like to get out and walk around.

So watch out for the guy wanting to chat you up at the supercharger. It could be me!

Last edited:
I drove the road from Estes park down to Nederland last month. Had a blast. I had similar range losses on my way back to KC in snow and 15 degree weather. I'm starting to think that we don't lose too much when it's in the 30s, but down in the teens the heater must struggle to keep the interior warm.

Howdy,

"Just a quick recap" on winter driving. Hopefully it'll help CO drivers.

Car: M3, red brakes.

Last night's trip: Home (Eagle, elevation 6700) from Denver (elevation 5280). I was experiencing 50% loss all the way from Denver to Silverthorne (elevation 9035).

Temps leaving Denver were high 20's. By the time I got to Silverthorne temp was 6 (F), probably colder. It was windy, the roads were dry.

Silverthorne to Eagle got better.

Going over Vail Pass (summit elevation 10,662), it was 0 to -6. Windy. Pulled into my garage it was -2. Silverthorne to Eagle was 84 rated miles, 63.5 actual miles.

General trip notes: Eagle to Denver is 135 miles. If the roads are dry and the temps are in above 20 (F) in the mountains, then warmer in Denver, I can get to Denver on a 90% charge going 4 over. Then have a little left, to go where I need to, so long as it's in Denver.

But if not, I top off to 80% in Silverthorne.

Denver to home: As a rule now, I leave Denver with 90%. This covers me if there's problems on I-70, or the conditions are lousy. It's about 70 miles from Denver to the supercharger in Silverthorne, so even in the most extreme situation, it's hard to see where I'd run out of juice. Anything is possible.

Hey Elon: Please put a supercharger in Dumont, @ the Starbucks. It's perfect.

Tires: I put Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's on. I like the tire. But next year I'll either get Nokian Hakkapelitta's, or the Bizzaks. I love, love the Hakka's. Blizzaks are a close 2nd. Hakka's are far and away, best snow tire I've had.

Shout out to T Sportline: They're making a 18" rim that'll work for our car. Seems like great customer service there, they called me when I had a question. I'll buy their rims for next winter, put Hakka's on. That'll be tight.

Handling: I've not been able to get the car to go sideways in the snow, which is a really good thing. I can get it to slip, but then it corrects itself. So while I'm not ready to say the car is as good in the winter as our old S4 Avant, it's better than our 2012 A7 that we sold to get this car.

Chatting at the supercharger: Yesterday I had a nice chat with two other Teslaians. One was a Conservative, Evangelical from Indiana (2018 X) traveling across country to the Left Coast. The other was a younger trustafarian (2013 S). Neither one of them bought the car because of the environment.

The Indiana dude bought the car because of cost. He's going to drive it 400k miles. The buy in for him was all the savings on gas and what not.

The trustafarian bought the car because of the cool factor.

The Indiana dude was good to talk to. It was interesting to hear his thoughts on politics and religion. My guess is he's about as right as they go and I'm...much left of that. We shook hands and wished each other well. I said I'd pray for him in my own way, he seemed to be surprised by that.

I like talking to people at the supercharger. Most just sit in their car, staring at their phone (like we don't do that enough already??). Not me. I like to get out and walk around.

So watch out for the guy wanting to chat you up at the supercharger. It could be me!

It’s hard to follow your post but it seems you are reporting 50% or more range loss.

Why aren’t you charging to 100%?

Nice. I appreciate you documenting the real-world conditions and performance. Our M3 is brand new and we're still learning what to expect. Our Outback will be used for mountain trips and such, but you never know. Good luck with the knee recovery!

nice recount of cold weather driving at altitudes. The cold and the altitude gains are a tough combo for the batteries. I'm at 5000 asl
Like the idea you were able to communicate with a person of a completely different persuasion.
And your excuse for buying a tesla? environment, I'll bet. You have to admit it's fun to open your mind to a different set of driving/parameters.
Promise me you don't go out in public in those stretch pants:))

• Funny
Reactions: whatthe2
It takes a lot of energy to heat a car going 70 mph in sub-freezing temperatures. There was so much waste heat available from an ICE car that we didn't notice the energy hit as much. Realistically a 50% hit from 130 eMPG still leaves you with 65 eMPG. Climbing hills in a M3 costs an extra 1.5 kwh/1000 ft. If your getting 4 m./kwh and drive 20 miles and climb 1000 ft. it'll take 5.0 +1.5= 6.5 kwh to get there. Descending you can subtract 1.0 kwh/1000 ft. Headwinds/tailwinds are +/- 7% per 10 mph wind. Wet or contaminated roads another 10%.

Reactions: TrumpetTitan
I grew up in Denver and have done that drive many times. I have fond memories of driving my little 4 cyl turbocharged car up the hills on I-70 and blowing past everyone in the left lane since the turbo compensated for the high altitude. It must be fun in the Model 3 (except when it's snowing - not fun for anyone). I'm not surprised to see the hit in range with that steep terrain (my gas car also used a lot more gas going up than it did coming back). I'd love to find an excuse to drive through Glenwood Canyon in the summer with my Model 3 and take real advantage of the glass roof. It would be just like the vista domes on the Rio Grande Zephyr.

I grew up in Denver and have done that drive many times. I have fond memories of driving my little 4 cyl turbocharged car up the hills on I-70 and blowing past everyone in the left lane since the turbo compensated for the high altitude. It must be fun in the Model 3 (except when it's snowing - not fun for anyone). I'm not surprised to see the hit in range with that steep terrain (my gas car also used a lot more gas going up than it did coming back). I'd love to find an excuse to drive through Glenwood Canyon in the summer with my Model 3 and take real advantage of the glass roof. It would be just like the vista domes on the Rio Grande Zephyr.
Hey there. I grew up in Denver too! Well, never grew up never grow old.

I'm a right lane guy on I-70 now -- too much overhead driving in the left lane.

Nice. I appreciate you documenting the real-world conditions and performance. Our M3 is brand new and we're still learning what to expect. Our Outback will be used for mountain trips and such, but you never know. Good luck with the knee recovery!

Like I say, I haven't been able to get it sideways in the snow yet. I'm trying!

Michelin Alpin PA4's. Next year, though, I'm going for 18's or 19's in the winter.

Peace and love!

Last edited: