Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum Tires Size Model Y Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to determine what the maximum tires size anyone can confirm so far on the MYP. I just swapped over to my winter setup, but will to replace the Pirelli’s come next spring. I am running 20mm spacer in the front and 25mm spacers in the rear.

I would like to run Vredestein Quatrac Pro’s.
Front:
275/40R21
Rear:
285/40R21

I believe I have seen some members post the rear size being okay, but I believe the front might be a little ambitious?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

• Disagree
Reactions: Golfer and You.
Solution
I run 265/40R21 on the front and would not suggest going any larger — thus I agree with your intuition that 275/40R21 is a bit “ambitious”. I can virtually guarantee significant rubbing should this size rubber be mounted on the MYP with stock Uberturbines.

With regard to the proposed size for the rear axle, you can confidently mount your proposed spec (285/40R21) without issue.

Good luck.
Has anyone had experience putting larger tires on 21" Uberturbines?

I like the look of the wheels bc I feel they fit the wheel well better, but would love the ride comfort and possible security against curb rash. 235/35 in the front and 255/35 in the rear I believe. Would increasing the sidewall height improvement noise reduction? With the added benefit of possibly better wheel well "fill”?
Nice car. Angeles crest highway. Can not wait to drive my 2022 blue model Y performance along that route. already a ton of threads about how to fit tires with more sidewall on MYP. In short, yup it helps reduce road noise in cabin compared to stock tires. use the awesome search feature of this system and limit search to the model y driving dynamics forum.

Upvote 0
No rubbing. Considered the Michelins but they were unavailable, more expensive, and reviewed slightly below the Continentals on tire rack (for whatever that’s worth). Very pleased with the look and the slight but noticeable softening of the ride.
View attachment 770872

Do you have any more pics? Closer up maybe? This is exactly what I'm considering, moving the stock rear rubber up front and getting 295/35 in the back.

Upvote 0
Did you find that the new tires added a lot more smoothness to the ride
I now have 5K miles on the larger Michelin PS AS4 265/295/40R21 and have not experienced any rubbing front or rear.

The ride is a noticeable improvement over the OEM Pirelli P Zero summer tires, especially on smaller bumps and on the highway.

However, the biggest advantage is that the sidewalls are larger and vertical compared to the stretched OEM tires which has given me better pothole protection.

In addition, if you mildly kiss the curb while parking, the first contact point is rubber rather than the bare metal of the Ubers.

Reactions: jellyfam
Upvote 0
I now have 5K miles on the larger Michelin PS AS4 265/295/40R21 and have not experienced any rubbing front or rear.

The ride is a noticeable improvement over the OEM Pirelli P Zero summer tires, especially on smaller bumps and on the highway.

However, the biggest advantage is that the sidewalls are larger and vertical compared to the stretched OEM tires which has given me better pothole protection.

In addition, if you mildly kiss the curb while parking, the first contact point is rubber rather than the bare metal of the Ubers.
Thanks for the reply! Very helpful. I definitely want to do this with mine once I wear out my tires now. I called discount tires about my plan and they really didn’t think it would fit lol. Did you have to replace any sensors or anything to the car? Thanks for all the help!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply! Very helpful. I definitely want to do this with mine once I wear out my tires now. I called discount tires about my plan and they really didn’t think it would fit lol. Did you have to replace any sensors or anything to the car? Thanks for all the help!
I had the same issue with Discount/America's Tire. As you know, they are nervous about rubbing with any tire larger than OEM sizes. Once I agreed that I would not return the tires for that reason, they were fine.

No need to change sensors or anything else.

This is no big deal, but bear in mind the rear tire circumference will be about 6% greater than the OEM tire which impacts the speed reading . For example, 80mph will be displayed as closer to 75mph on the screen. Best of luck!

Upvote 0
I run 265/40R21 on the front and would not suggest going any larger — thus I agree with your intuition that 275/40R21 is a bit “ambitious”. I can virtually guarantee significant rubbing should this size rubber be mounted on the MYP with stock Uberturbines.

With regard to the proposed size for the rear axle, you can confidently mount your proposed spec (285/40R21) without issue.

Good luck.

Does you intuition about the front rubbing on 275/40/21 take into account the 20mm spacer he is running in the front? I am not disputing your conclusion, but you did not mention the spacer in your reply so I was curious. Personally I will be running 18" wheels this spring with a square tire setup, and am considering going wider than the 255 width on the stock fronts to get a bit more lateral grip than a 255 wide setup on front and rear.

Keith

Upvote 0
Does you intuition about the front rubbing on 275/40/21 take into account the 20mm spacer he is running in the front? I am not disputing your conclusion, but you did not mention the spacer in your reply so I was curious. Personally I will be running 18" wheels this spring with a square tire setup, and am considering going wider than the 255 width on the stock fronts to get a bit more lateral grip than a 255 wide setup on front and rear.

Keith
Yes—the spacer may afford some added breathing room with respect to the steering knuckle however the greater overall diameter of the tire will undoubtedly cause rubbing on the fender liner during turning…

With respect to your goals of a wider, square setup—I’ve seen tale of owners running 275s up front without issue so you have room to grow, so to speak. I’ve also seen reference to owners running 305s on the rear although I have not personally seen photographic evidence in support of this claim; 295s definitely fit (rear only)….however for a square setup, 275s all-around seems like a solid choice. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Confirmed fitment.
265/40/21 fronts and 295/40/21
Michelin Pilot Sport All Season.
Cool!

Any chance you could post a pic of the 295/40 rears?

I have the same tires in 295/35 guise and would’ve gone larger if I was confident of fitment—glad to have a data point that supports this spec as I will likely upsize (even further) when the rears need replacement, which, ahem, may be sooner rather than later….

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Yes—the spacer may afford some added breathing room with respect to the steering knuckle however the greater overall diameter of the tire will undoubtedly cause rubbing on the fender liner during turning…

With respect to your goals of a wider, square setup—I’ve seen tale of owners running 275s up front without issue so you have room to grow, so to speak. I’ve also seen reference to owners running 305s on the rear although I have not personally seen photographic evidence in support of this claim; 295s definitely fit (rear only)….however for a square setup, 275s all-around seems like a solid choice. Good luck.

The problem is that with a 18 inch wheel, the wider sizes either come in very low profile (smaller diameter than stock) or truck tire profile with nothing in between... sort of frustrating. I could have a 275/45/18 at 27.75" diameter (smaller than stock) or 275/55/18 at 29.9" diameter, much larger than stock... not even sure they would fit, and the only one available is an all season not a performance summer tire.

I think I am stuck with 255/55/18's that will be slightly larger than stock at 29.1 inches if I want performance summer tires. Now the question is... are Summer SUV tires with a high speed rating as good as Max performance summer street car tires of the same size? In the SUV tires they don't differentiate as much, you get "Street / sport truck summer" or "Street / sport truck all season" but the Summer SUV tires are often OEM tires for vehicles like the Porsche Cayenne... so you know they have some grip to them.

Keith

Upvote 0
did you use/need spacers for the front and/or rear?
Now with over 6000 miles on the Michelin PS AS4 265/40R21 fronts and 295/40R21 rears I have experienced no rubbing.

No, I did not use spacers.

By the way, my rear tire hit the curb pretty hard today while parking. I was lucky as the tire took the blow and the wheel was unscathed!
295 Rear.jpg

Reactions: DriesBE
Upvote 0
Cool!

Any chance you could post a pic of the 295/40 rears?

I have the same tires in 295/35 guise and would’ve gone larger if I was confident of fitment—glad to have a data point that supports this spec as I will likely upsize (even further) when the rears need replacement, which, ahem, may be sooner rather than later….

Thanks!
Yeah I’ll try to get a picture soon, I just did a ride from Vegas fo Phoenix. no issues whatsoever, I actually thought ride was smoother slightly

Upvote 0
I swapped out my factory Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's for 265/40R21 front and 295/40R21 rear. Ride is great and they really fill out the wheel well so much better. I hope that the increased side Aspect ration and wider tires will help protect the wheels more. I am selling my take offs with less than 60 miles on them if you know anyone that needs a new set. $1,300. These tires are on back-order from Tire Rack.

Attachments

• IMG_0301.jpg
    IMG_0301.jpg
    704.1 KB · Views: 652
  • IMG_0304.jpg
    IMG_0304.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 740
  • IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    637.5 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG_0308.jpg
    IMG_0308.jpg