Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum Tires Size Model Y Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to determine what the maximum tires size anyone can confirm so far on the MYP. I just swapped over to my winter setup, but will to replace the Pirelli’s come next spring. I am running 20mm spacer in the front and 25mm spacers in the rear.

I would like to run Vredestein Quatrac Pro’s.
Front:
275/40R21
Rear:
285/40R21

I believe I have seen some members post the rear size being okay, but I believe the front might be a little ambitious?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

• Disagree
Reactions: Golfer and You.
Solution
I run 265/40R21 on the front and would not suggest going any larger — thus I agree with your intuition that 275/40R21 is a bit “ambitious”. I can virtually guarantee significant rubbing should this size rubber be mounted on the MYP with stock Uberturbines.

With regard to the proposed size for the rear axle, you can confidently mount your proposed spec (285/40R21) without issue.

Good luck.
Hi, I have to install winter tires for Model Y performance can I use 275/35/21 for front and rear? Correctly I have 255/35/21 in front and 275/35/21 in rear. Please suggest
For winter tires, you may be better off acquiring a set of 19” wheels on which you could mount a dedicated set of winter rubber without altering the current 21” setup. This would have the added benefit of allowing you to run narrower tires (assuming the 19” wheels are narrower than the current 9.5”/10.5” staggered setup of the OEM 21s) which will perform better in winter weather. As an ex-Chicagoan, this was my preferred method for surviving the winter weather and heaved/pockmarked roads in/around Chicagoland and it served me well. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Current MYP Uberturbine setup:

Tires: Michelin Pilot Sport AS
F: 275/35/21
R: 295/35/21
WS: H&R Trak 10mm all around

I was running the Bonoss 15mm (F) and 18mm (R). While I really liked the Bonoss spacers in terms of what they offered (quality, aesthetics, etc.), I pulled them and replaced them with the 10mm Trak spacers. I was experiencing some rubbing on the rear fender trim, which would occasionally cause the trim to pop out. I really liked having a slightly more aggressive appearance that the spacers provided but ultimately decided to reduce the poke, and now the wheel and tires sit more flush. I’ll see if I experience any more rubbing on the rear fender trim but so far so good. I do like the current look, but I don’t think it’s quite as sexy as it was when there was a more aggressive offset there. I’ll hang on to the Bonoss and might try them with a different wheel and tire combo down the road.

Upvote 0
I just replaced my stock MYP with 265/40/21 and 295/40/21 P-zero. Did not go with Michelin in the end because the P zero were significantly cheaper.

It does seem like the ride is less bouncy. But, I think the steering is significantly less sharp and overall it just feels like the car is less responsive. Also you can clearly tell that on the front the rim stick out a little more than the rear.

Next time round I will prob do 275/35/21 and 295/35/21 to maintain the steering feel and make the front and rear looking more consistent.

Reactions: skiwhmts
Upvote 0
You need to go for a square setup with a thicker rear anti sway bar. I then added more negative camber front and thing got a bit better. Then did full adjustable suspension and lowered the car and it's not bad now. Lost most of the twitchyness. Still a touch of understeer when doing autocross but considering vehicle weight not bad. should it's at a much higher speed.

Upvote 0
Stock is 255 front 275 rear, no? So wouldn't switching to 265 front 295 rear give you relatively more rear grip?

Have you tried using track mode to adjust the front/rear bias?

Also, I'm, not sure this is a good idea for thin sidewall tires, but an old autocross trick to adjust under/oversteer was to lower tire pressure in the end with too much grip.

Upvote 0
Current MYP Uberturbine setup:

Tires: Michelin Pilot Sport AS
F: 275/35/21
R: 295/35/21
WS: H&R Trak 10mm all around

I was running the Bonoss 15mm (F) and 18mm (R). While I really liked the Bonoss spacers in terms of what they offered (quality, aesthetics, etc.), I pulled them and replaced them with the 10mm Trak spacers. I was experiencing some rubbing on the rear fender trim, which would occasionally cause the trim to pop out. I really liked having a slightly more aggressive appearance that the spacers provided but ultimately decided to reduce the poke, and now the wheel and tires sit more flush. I’ll see if I experience any more rubbing on the rear fender trim but so far so good. I do like the current look, but I don’t think it’s quite as sexy as it was when there was a more aggressive offset there. I’ll hang on to the Bonoss and might try them with a different wheel and tire combo down the road.
You can fit 275/295 on factory uberturbines with no rubbing?

Upvote 0
Stock is 255 front 275 rear, no? So wouldn't switching to 265 front 295 rear give you relatively more rear grip?

Have you tried using track mode to adjust the front/rear bias?

Also, I'm, not sure this is a good idea for thin sidewall tires, but an old autocross trick to adjust under/oversteer was to lower tire pressure in the end with too much grip.

i will try lower the tire pressure on the rear to 40psi.

I’m guessing by going up to 40, there is more sidewall and it’s affecting steering feel.

Upvote 0
Hello all, I’m about to take delivery on my MYP. I love this thread because I’m not a fan, like all of you, of the 35/low profile tires. I’m curious to know if there are any of you who have accumulated enough mileage on your 265-295/40/21 set up to determine if this set up incurs negative camber/I never tire wear issues. The last hing I want to deal with are future suspension issues caused by this set up. Thx in advance

Upvote 0
Hello all, I’m about to take delivery on my MYP. I love this thread because I’m not a fan, like all of you, of the 35/low profile tires. I’m curious to know if there are any of you who have accumulated enough mileage on your 265-295/40/21 set up to determine if this set up incurs negative camber/uneven tire wear issues. The last thing I want to deal with are future suspension issues caused by this set up. Thx in advance

Upvote 0
Can you show pics from behind? I was to see how wide tires look in relation to the car. Thanks again!
Here are my 295/40's for reference.

Attachments

• 295 Rear.jpg
    295 Rear.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 290
Upvote 0
I plan to go 275/295 and need to buy two new 295/35/21 107Y XL rear tires. In Japan, these tires are mostly sold with markings like MGT (Maserati), MO & MO1 (Mercedes), N1 (Porsche), RO1 (Audi) and I* (BMW). However no TO (Tesla) marking as this dimension is not approved by Tesla. Now I have to choose among all these markings, the one that suits best, so I would like to know if it makes a difference choosing one marking over another. Thank you.

Upvote 0
Update after two weeks with new 265/40ZR-21 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4 FULL RING VELOUR XL on the front and 295/40ZR-21 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4 FULL RING VELOUR XL on the rear, all ordered from TireRack.com and installed locally with no spacers...

Subjective impressions: It's possible that these tires are a little bit noisier - but I'm not sure. If they are, it's relatively slight. They seem a bit more "comfortable" absorbing road imperfections, but it's not life-changing. I'm not the kind of driver that would be able to tell you if they're better/worse under heavy maneuvering - but under "normal" driving loads they seem great. And it isn't wintry weather here yet, so no opinions on snow/ice/etc.

No rubbing that I've noticed, but I haven't bottomed the suspension - again, I'm not that kind of driver... In my opinion, the larger sidewalls look better. Sorry about the un-washed condition of the tires/wheels - I'll clean 'em up soon, I promise...
Have you driven with three grown people in the back? If so, was there any rubbing at all?

Upvote 0