Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum Tires Size Model Y Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to determine what the maximum tires size anyone can confirm so far on the MYP. I just swapped over to my winter setup, but will to replace the Pirelli’s come next spring. I am running 20mm spacer in the front and 25mm spacers in the rear.

I would like to run Vredestein Quatrac Pro’s.
Front:
275/40R21
Rear:
285/40R21

I believe I have seen some members post the rear size being okay, but I believe the front might be a little ambitious?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

• Disagree
Reactions: Golfer and You.
Solution
I run 265/40R21 on the front and would not suggest going any larger — thus I agree with your intuition that 275/40R21 is a bit “ambitious”. I can virtually guarantee significant rubbing should this size rubber be mounted on the MYP with stock Uberturbines.

With regard to the proposed size for the rear axle, you can confidently mount your proposed spec (285/40R21) without issue.

Good luck.
#Jones1: what are your original tires? are they bad/good in snow/rain? Thanks
I’m on the stock P Zero summer tires. I’m in Texas. I still have a good amount of tread. I will be replacing 2 Tires towards the end of the year. This will be my first purchase for the MYP.
After that. I’ll rotate every other year. Buying 2 tires at a time.

Upvote 0
From last year.
Good Quality tires Matters.

1708432752259.jpeg

Upvote 0
I’m on the stock P Zero summer tires. I’m in Texas. I still have a good amount of tread. I will be replacing 2 Tires towards the end of the year. This will be my first purchase for the MYP.
After that. I’ll rotate every other year. Buying 2 tires at a time.
Thanks for Info. I am a Costco member so I will go with whatever it offers when the time comes. Costco tire center impresses me by plugging flat tires not bought from Costco. IMO that's a very good business model

Reactions: Jones1
Upvote 0
Hello all. I scanned through but didn't see this question regarding going with 275/35R21 & 295/35R21. I compared this to factory size using online calculators and it looks like overall diameter is about .5 or .6 larger. Will this make the car actually sit higher? Sorry for the possibly dumb question, lol.
This is the standard size. That most people move up to. I haven’t seen it to notice a difference. Should be that much of a difference. It’s a wider set.
1708545836776.png

Upvote 0
How do you rotate two different size tires on the MYP?
You can switch them side to side. I’m not going that route. Rotating tires is a waste of time just buy 2 tires. Every two years. Do the front tires first. For Steering. I’m old enough to not believe the rotation of tires lies. A good alignment on a good car. You don’t have it do all of that.

Upvote 0
You can switch them side to side. I’m not going that route. Rotating tires is a waste of time just buy 2 tires. Every two years. Do the front tires first. For Steering. I’m old enough to not believe the rotation of tires lies. A good alignment on a good car. You don’t have it do all of that.
Rotating tires side to side on a staggered car may be a waste, but a four tire rotation on a square setup is imperative to proper wear and tire life. I see first hand the result of lack of rotation on the 100+ truck fleet I manage for my employer. If the tires aren’t rotated on the newer Silverado 1500 trucks the inside corners of the fronts are showing steel by 30K and the rears will last til 60-70K. If rotated every 7500 miles the entire set will go to 60-70 K miles. I’ve seen it on plenty of other vehicles too, the steer tires get worn on the corners from leaning on the turns.

Upvote 0
Rotating tires side to side on a staggered car may be a waste, but a four tire rotation on a square setup is imperative to proper wear and tire life. I see first hand the result of lack of rotation on the 100+ truck fleet I manage for my employer. If the tires aren’t rotated on the newer Silverado 1500 trucks the inside corners of the fronts are showing steel by 30K and the rears will last til 60-70K. If rotated every 7500 miles the entire set will go to 60-70 K miles. I’ve seen it on plenty of other vehicles too, the steer tires get worn on the corners from leaning on the turns.
All and well then you have a nail in your tire. So it doesn’t matter. Or a pot hole. Your balanced tires won’t matter then. Life Lesson to the youngsters.

• Disagree
Reactions: BroncoAZ
Upvote 0
All and well then you have a nail in your tire. So it doesn’t matter. Or a pot hole. Your balanced tires won’t matter then. Life Lesson to the youngsters.
I have a large sample size of data from the fleet that I manage, 2.7 million miles per year across 150 vehicles. I also worked in the service side of dealerships for 14 years prior. I see my share of non repairable flat tires, but most nails can be patched (from the inside with a proper patch plug) except for those with an odd angle or within 1” of the shoulder. I end up replacing plenty of tires (mostly from people hitting sharp granite curbs with the sidewall), but less than 10% compared to the amount of punctures we get from construction sites. I’m open to absorbing knowledge from my elders, but will challenge when it’s incorrect.

Reactions: Canyonero
Upvote 0
I have a large sample size of data from the fleet that I manage, 2.7 million miles per year across 150 vehicles. I also worked in the service side of dealerships for 14 years prior. I see my share of non repairable flat tires, but most nails can be patched (from the inside with a proper patch plug) except for those with an odd angle or within 1” of the shoulder. I end up replacing plenty of tires (mostly from people hitting sharp granite curbs with the sidewall), but less than 10% compared to the amount of punctures we get from construction sites. I’m open to absorbing knowledge from my elders, but will challenge when it’s incorrect.
I was a Commercial Driver for 15 years. My data comes from real life.
In general it’s a waste of time. If they do it free as a service when you purchase new tires. Then I’ll do it. I’m not paying extra or doing it myself at my home. It’s a Waste of Time.

Upvote 0