Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

May be Returning to Dead Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its a Model 3 SR+
It will be stored at a hotel near the airport while we are away so won't be pluged in
Even if you manage to park it with 90% battery, you'll get roughly 7 days of Sentry mode before it hits 20% and turns off - not accounting for any sort of battery temp management. That leaves you with another 7 days to go with only 20% battery.

I would turn everything off from the beginning (sentry mode, cabin overheat protection, summon standby, etc).

Reactions: Trevor EV
Its a Model 3 SR+
It will be stored at a hotel near the airport while we are away so won't be pluged in

Some hotels have EV charging available; however, leaving your car plugged into a public EVSE for two weeks seems like a very inconsiderate thing to do.

You might check to see if the hotel has any outdoor 120v outlets you might be able to use. If so, you could plug in to that; the 120v outlet would be enough to power Sentry Mode. OTOH, there's a risk that somebody would unplug you or walk off with the NEMA 5-15 plug from your Mobile Connector. (The other end would be locked by the Tesla, so short of physically cutting the cable, it would probably be safe.) Also, if the cord had to cross a walkway or whatnot, that could create a trip hazard and so might not be appreciated by the hotel.

Personally, I don't think I'd want to use Sentry Mode in this situation. The cost of the electricity to run it does not make it a good financial decision, vs. the risk of vandalism, on average. When parking in an unsafe area that calculation can change, but if you're comfortable leaving your car for two weeks in the hotel lot, it's probably safe enough to do so without Sentry Mode. The videos we've all probably seen of Sentry Mode catching keying incidents and whatnot play on a weakness of human cognition known as the availability heuristic; we over-emphasize events that have been called to our attention, vs. those that have not. If people were posting and publicizing all the boring Sentry Mode videos that capture nothing but people walking by and not doing anything, we'd think differently (and more reasonably) about the risks.

Its a Model 3 SR+

Pretty much been answered already for you here. Just want to point out that with an SR+, your rated miles have less energy than those in the AWD LRs that have been mentioned here.

For the OP, let's say it was 5% per day, which is 15.5 rated miles per day (for an AWD). (This is actually what I saw when I left my AWD car for 3.5 days so it seems very close to typical.)

Well, for an AWD that is 15.5rmi/day*234Wh/rmi = 3.63kWh/day.

For you, you have 209Wh/rmi. So for you in an SR+, it will be 3.63kWh/day/209Wh/rmi = 17.4 rated miles/day

So as has been outlined above, if you charge to 90% and leave it (216 rated miles), you'll have 168 rated miles to go through to get to 20%.

So 168 rmi /17.4rmi/day = 9.7 days

Then it will turn off.

I'd just leave it off.

• Helpful