Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maybe over thinking here.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive 40 miles a day for work. On weekend, maybe 20 miles a day. So went it said keep the car plugged in at home for optimize battery, does that mean plugged in and charge to 80% each day? I prefer to keep it at 80% in case of emergencies. even with my gas cars, I would fill when it reaches half tank.

Reactions: BWJ.
I drive 40 miles a day for work. On weekend, maybe 20 miles a day. So went it said keep the car plugged in at home for optimize battery, does that mean plugged in and charge to 80% each day? I prefer to keep it at 80% in case of emergencies. even with my gas cars, I would fill when it reaches half tank.
Yes, it is OK to leave it plugged in. In fact, Tesla recommends it.

But with your driving only 40 miles or less a day it would be better to only charge it to 50%, you will get slightly less battery degradation. For daily driving I normally use 10 to 30% of the battery, so having it at 50% every morning is more than enough.

I used to charge it to 80% but now that I comfortable with it I realized that is not necessary for my use case.

If I am going to be going out of town I charge to whatever I think I will need the night before.

If you are uncomfortable with charging to less than 80%, then don't worry about it and charge to 80. From what I have read, while there will be a increase in degradation will not be much.

Our Tessies are so much fun to drive, I find I am driving a lot more than I used to.

Plugged in doesn't always mean charging, but charging always means plugged in.

I always plug in because I drive roughly 50 miles a day and charge to 60% (departure setting) just prior to leaving the house. When you charge to 80%, it's less of a need to plug in all the time, because you've got that range but it's tougher on the battery to leave it sitting there with high SOC all the time. I am usually at around 50% or slightly below most of the time.

even with my gas cars, I would fill when it reaches half tank.

I agree with this logic. In my ICE car I used a 1/4 tank as my empty, which meant I could always run to the office, or to my kids, or the hospital without any concern. I apply the same logic to my EV, which for me means a minimum of 37%. I also add a bit more to ensure I keep the car’s minimum SOC in double digits, so this all comes to 45-50% as my personal minimum at home.

It is true that the “optimal” battery target is 50%, so in my case as I consume about 40% on a typical day, the best range for me would be to charge to 70% arriving at home with 30%, and the charge back to 70% when I get home.

Or, don’t overthink it. Just charge to 80% each night then relax and enjoy your car. This is what I actually do.

Well, Tesla found it necessary to drop the suggested charge limit from 90 to 80%, so that should clue you in on what direction to go.

Is 80% better than 90%? Probably. In fact anything away from 50% is the likely worse than 50%. The question is to what degree?

My advice is don’t overthink this. If you really care there are literally thousands on posts on the HV battery.