Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

McLaren supercar owners are the most likely to buy a Tesla...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
..when adjusted for number of vehicles on the road in the U.S.

Who buys Teslas? Prius owners and drivers of exotic cars - latimes.com

Why are exotic car owners big into Teslas?
“It is either because they are so wealthy that they can add another toy to the collection,” Libby said, “or they could be looking for a more practical vehicle. They have a family of five and it’s hard to take them anywhere in a Lamborghini.”

Or maybe they are attracted to exciting new automotive technologies and fast cars. That certainly was the case for me.

Last edited:
I read that this morning, it's actually quite true, I've seen a few McLaren owners have Tesla's a couple on this board as well. I won't name names, but they're free to say so. I can actually see the correlation, both cars are technologically ahead of their time, with the science and engineering involved and both offer software updates free of charge to their owners as well. Even the new P1's headlights remind me of the Tesla's (or the other way around). Last night's episode of Top Gear on the McLaren was amazing. Personally, it is the only other car I would want to have in addition to the Model S. Hopefully, after the Model E and perhaps a pickup Tesla will produce a halo sportscar themselves.

While I was at the DC test drive event (Get Amped Tour) in June 2012 the parking lot was full of exotics. A Lexus LFA, Porsche 911 Turbo (996), and a Aston Martin DB9 were in the attendee parking area. This was just the sample from my one hour of being there.

BTW - That was the first LFA I had seen in the flesh and damn was it gorgeous!

BTW2 - My previous cars were a Subaru WRX and Honda S2000 which were both sold and all monies applied to the MS :lol:

Can't wait to show the wife this thread. Wouldn't look good to let the entire Tesla owner population down by not owning a McLaren! Pretty sure we'll need to at least have one on order, just to continue activity on TMC! I think a sliver F1 will go nicely in our stable. :wink: Let you guys know how this works out!

Can't wait to show the wife this thread. Wouldn't look good to let the entire Tesla owner population down by not owning a McLaren! Pretty sure we'll need to at least have one on order, just to continue activity on TMC! I think a sliver F1 will go nicely in our stable. :wink: Let you guys know how this works out!
Isn’t a McLaren just so yesterday though! I mean, a Porsche 918 Spyder or BMW i8 – not to mention the Tesla Roadster – are all way more electric… :wink:

If you wanted to compare a McLaren to the Porsche 918 Spyder it would be the new P1, the P1 is currently available and the 918 spyder will not be for a few more months. The McLaren that perhaps you are unaware that they are referring to is the 2012-current MP4-12C, comes in both coupe and spider form.

[1] If you wanted to compare a McLaren to the Porsche 918 Spyder it would be the new P1, the P1 is currently available and the 918 spyder will not be for a few more months. [2] The McLaren that perhaps you are unaware that they are referring to is the 2012-current MP4-12C, comes in both coupe and spider form.
1. But as I understand it the 918 is a quite a bit more ‘electric’ than the P1 (as in more efficient). But yeah, granted not quite as fast. But somehow I wonder if that really, really matters at those kinds of performance levels…

2. I’m aware. But Cal1 also mentioned the F1… Anyways, I’m just shamelessly plugging anything that’s electric :smile: The MP4-12C unfortunately isn’t…

I read a fair bit about the 918, but I'm really looking forward to Top Gear's review in a few weeks - months to really get a gauge. Just like I read about the P1, but I really didn't get a feel until I saw the video review Top Gear did. What I found very interesting about the P1 wasn't it's lackluster 6 miles of range or whatever it is, but rather that the electric motor works in the gaps, between the performance of the ICE.

I also don't find the same cars appealing as I used to after going electric. I'm really hoping that someone, hopefully Tesla, does something spectacular with a ultra high performance sports car being fully electric with decent range. I'm thinking like a Model S Roadster, not quite as small as the Tesla Roadster (which I'll compare to a Porsche Boxster), but a little bit bigger more in the vein of a 911. I'm sure Porsche being as innovative as they are, will do something fully electric in the near future. Whether it will be great, or priced astronomically we shall see.

We are planning our first road trip this summer (Calif) and you've just added a stop. Does the Palo Alto store still haven X on display? Will I see one during the factory tour? Gee maybe we'll just pick up a P1 while we're in the area...NOT!

On a more serious note I am seriously considering selling my NSX and buying either a roadster or waiting for a model e. Haven't driven a roadster yet. This car has really changed my entire vision of the automotive world.

We are planning our first road trip this summer (Calif) and you've just added a stop. Does the Palo Alto store still haven X on display? Will I see one during the factory tour? Gee maybe we'll just pick up a P1 while we're in the area...NOT!

The prototype Model X was only at the Palo Alto store for their grand opening weekend. And no P1 at the McLaren dealership next door unless you are lucky enough to be there when a customer car is being prepped for delivery - they have sold around a dozen.