Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU 2 worth it for 2013 Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was quoted $1,280 for IC change out and $1,500 on top of that for TC and MCU... worth it?

TS has some yellowing but not bad - fixed by parking in the sun right?

No self driving...

So benefits:

Games
Netflix
Careoke

I'm leaning towards just fixing the IC...

plus who knows when the Battery will die (no mileage loss yet).

Not sure I understand when you say
$1,280 for IC change out and $1,500 on top of that for TC and MCU
The upgrade to MCU2 should be $1500 plus tax and already includes full replace of the instrument cluster as well as the main center screen.
It will go up to $2000 plus tax if you are also wanting to have the FM/XM radio tuner replaced to retain radio functionality.

But should not be any additional charge for the IC with either of those two options.

For me it was going to be an obvious decision that I'd do the MCU upgrade if was a reason I needed to replace either of the screens due to gel leaking.
Now I did decide to bite the bullet and did the MCU2 upgrade with radio in mid-Dec on my mid-2016 MS90D. It was $2000 plus tax and included full replacement of IC.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
Am I reading this wrong?

Parts alone $2,710.00

Attachments

• photo4990471206331329196.jpg
    photo4990471206331329196.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 159
  • photo4990471206331329197.jpg
    photo4990471206331329197.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 93
Not sure I understand when you say

The upgrade to MCU2 should be $1500 plus tax and already includes full replace of the instrument cluster as well as the main center screen.
It will go up to $2000 plus tax if you are also wanting to have the FM/XM radio tuner replaced to retain radio functionality.

But should not be any additional charge for the IC with either of those two options.

For me it was going to be an obvious decision that I'd do the MCU upgrade if was a reason I needed to replace either of the screens due to gel leaking.
Now I did decide to bite the bullet and did the MCU2 upgrade with radio in mid-Dec on my mid-2016 MS90D. It was $2000 plus tax and included full replacement of IC.

Just my opinion.

I'd agree, $300 more for 2 screens and MCU upgrade is worth it if you are going to fix the screen.

I don't like that you have to pay $500 more for radio (I could buy a cheap radio and hook it up to aux maybe?) ... 830 AM Talk Radio is only on iheart i think in Hawaii.. News Radio 830 KHVH | iHeart

Questions i'm wreslting with:

1. do you even spend $1,300 to fix the IC screen because of the leak? what happens if it all leaks out? car still goes right?
2. after spending $1,500 - $2,000 on this car... will I end up buying a new battery pack, at which point I could buy a Model 3...
3. How bad ass would it be to get a new model S ;) but need to pay for data packages now :( (too bad they can't migrate our accounts). Its the new range rover, if you have to ask how much it cost to maintain... you can't afford it LOL.

Am I reading this wrong?

Parts alone $2,710.00
The items listed are independent. There is $1500 for the MCU upgrade. That's a fixed price, so yes it may look like all parts, but it includes installation and no separate labor charge.

The item for the instrument cluster is totally independent. Looks like they feel you also asked the question of what would it cost to just replace the instrument cluster, so they priced that as an independent item if you elect to go that route and not do the MCU upgrade.

The reason for the need to replace the radio is that the MCU1 uses an analog radio tuner while MCU2 uses a digital tuner. I know there were people early on that looked at options for how to replace the radio tuner as Tesla did not initially support this. One reason many chose to forego the radio upgrade is that you may be able to find many of the stations you want via TuneIn as streaming options. The downside of that is if you actually drive in areas where you don't have cellular connection but an actual radio signal, then that's a case where you'll need the new tuner. I use radio very infrequently, but have been a few cases where I've traveled through cellular dead zones and have fallen back to using the radio. It might be $500 I spent for no good reason, but figured since I intend to own my mid-2016 for a least a couple more years to go ahead and bite the bullet.

To your other questions:
Questions i'm wreslting with:

1. do you even spend $1,300 to fix the IC screen because of the leak? what happens if it all leaks out? car still goes right?
2. after spending $1,500 - $2,000 on this car... will I end up buying a new battery pack, at which point I could buy a Model 3...
3. How bad ass would it be to get a new model S ;) but need to pay for data packages now :( (too bad they can't migrate our accounts). Its the new range rover, if you have to ask how much it cost to maintain... you can't afford it LOL.
1. Yes, if option was spend $1300 to replace the IC screen due to leak versus $1500 MCU upgrade, I'd do the MCU upgrade without a moment's hesitation. Issue with just letting it leak out is that gel is going somewhere. Unclear what the risk to other electronics when that fluid drips on them behind the dash.

2. Will you end up buying a new battery pack at some point ... sorry, my crystal ball is in the shop and I cannot foretell the future. Your guess is as good as mine, but I realize I'd just be guessing, as I would be if you ask me that question about my car.

3. Only you can answer that ... however, seems a little contradictory that your solution to not spending $1500 for MCU upgrade is to spend $70k for new car??? But again, only you can answer that.

The items listed are independent. There is $1500 for the MCU upgrade. That's a fixed price, so yes it may look like all parts, but it includes installation and no separate labor charge.

The item for the instrument cluster is totally independent. Looks like they feel you also asked the question of what would it cost to just replace the instrument cluster, so they priced that as an independent item if you elect to go that route and not do the MCU upgrade.

The reason for the need to replace the radio is that the MCU1 uses an analog radio tuner while MCU2 uses a digital tuner. I know there were people early on that looked at options for how to replace the radio tuner as Tesla did not initially support this. One reason many chose to forego the radio upgrade is that you may be able to find many of the stations you want via TuneIn as streaming options. The downside of that is if you actually drive in areas where you don't have cellular connection but an actual radio signal, then that's a case where you'll need the new tuner. I use radio very infrequently, but have been a few cases where I've traveled through cellular dead zones and have fallen back to using the radio. It might be $500 I spent for no good reason, but figured since I intend to own my mid-2016 for a least a couple more years to go ahead and bite the bullet.

To your other questions:

1. Yes, if option was spend $1300 to replace the IC screen due to leak versus $1500 MCU upgrade, I'd do the MCU upgrade without a moment's hesitation. Issue with just letting it leak out is that gel is going somewhere. Unclear what the risk to other electronics when that fluid drips on them behind the dash.

2. Will you end up buying a new battery pack at some point ... sorry, my crystal ball is in the shop and I cannot foretell the future. Your guess is as good as mine, but I realize I'd just be guessing, as I would be if you ask me that question about my car.

3. Only you can answer that ... however, seems a little contradictory that your solution to not spending $1500 for MCU upgrade is to spend $70k for new car??? But again, only you can answer that.

Going to attempt to use iheartradio from my phone via bluetooth. If that works ok, I'll order the $1,500 MCU 2 upgrade. Thanks.

Or if i can find a small fm radio which connects via bluetooth ahah