Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU failure after changing wheels, and bad service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed new summer tires and rims on my p85+, and after tapping the change tire on the interface the center screen never turned on again. Now Tesla wants me to pay 3000$ for a new screen. How do I justify this? They are also installing a refurbished one, not even new and they don’t give back anything for me giving the faulty one away (they do this with the battery, that’s why you don’t pay 10000$ For a new one).

How do I know this isn’t just a software issue?

the car should also still have warranty by Tesla as they stated that it had an extend warranty to 2021 earlier. They now said that my warranty ran out in September 2019, and that it would run out at 162000km. I literally bought the car in September at 162000km! It has had atleast 3 services covered by that warranty since, and now when I have to change the MCU they suddenly say that it never had warranty? This is ridiculous, but they won’t do anything about it because I don’t have proof, but the proof is that I have had free services regularly the past 6 months.

Maybe I should post the other half of this post in another thread, but I hope you guys understand my conserns.

Who stated it had an “extended warranty”?

Who did you purchase the vehicle from, when did you purchase it, and what was the odometer reading when you purchased?
The first time we took it for a service the guys at the service place told us it had, and that it would last 200000km and to 2021. After that we have had 3-4 services and all of them have been covered by that warranty and have been totally free, and the support has been great. Everyone is pretty surprised to see that the old car still has warranty but it has never been a problem until now.

However this did kind of resolve it self today. When we picked up the car, the screen was fixed and the door handle was fixed. However in the invoice they stated that they didn’t fix anything. It seems that they don’t want to admit they we’re wrong or something.

Does not sound like bad service. Sounds like whatever warranty was just about used up.

Maybe it did fix itself. Sounds like eMMC is failing. Yes, they install a refurbished screen, a rebuilt Tegra card and insure it got LTE versus 3G. But you quote $3,000. Since I see $, that's tells me, U.S. And its not $3,000 U.S., its $1,300, U.S. But ask around, there's people there that will fix it for you for less than $1,300, but it won't have a Tesla warranty on the repair.

I've always been careful and avoid saying bad things about the people that cook & bring me my food and the people that work on my cars. We know from over the years that Tesla folks read the forum, even though they don't post on them.

• Disagree
Reactions: InternetDude
I
Does not sound like bad service. Sounds like whatever warranty was just about used up.

Maybe it did fix itself. Sounds like eMMC is failing. Yes, they install a refurbished screen, a rebuilt Tegra card and insure it got LTE versus 3G. But you quote $3,000. Since I see $, that's tells me, U.S. And its not $3,000 U.S., its $1,300, U.S. But ask around, there's people there that will fix it for you for less than $1,300, but it won't have a Tesla warranty on the repair.

I've always been careful and avoid saying bad things about the people that cook & bring me my food and the people that work on my cars. We know from over the years that Tesla folks read the forum, even though they don't post on them.

what? How can the warranty be used up? It was promised to 2021, so I don’t think you understood what I said. Also I live in Norway and they quoted 25000kr plus 3000kr for the door handle. That was a bad estimate by me in us but it’s around 2600$. I am not hating on Tesla, but I do not like how I was treated on this speaific service place. I was even told the car had warranty when I dropped it of but not when they called me up. I believe they are confusing my warranty with a different warranty that come with all the used cars that are sold trough Tesla, however this car has never been trough the Tesla used system.

also, the point you made about Tesla reading these forums. Isn’t that the point? So that they can improve their service and read feedback?

The first time we took it for a service the guys at the service place told us it had, and that it would last 200000km and to 2021. After that we have had 3-4 services and all of them have been covered by that warranty and have been totally free, and the support has been great. Everyone is pretty surprised to see that the old car still has warranty but it has never been a problem until now.

However this did kind of resolve it self today. When we picked up the car, the screen was fixed and the door handle was fixed. However in the invoice they stated that they didn’t fix anything. It seems that they don’t want to admit they we’re wrong or something.
What was the warranty when you bought the vehicle? That is all that matters.

The service staff has nothing to do with the warranty.

Reactions: Akikiki
So it sounds like the original owner of the car purchased the ESA, which isn't a warranty, though maybe things work differently in Norway.

Any chance the original owner submitted to have the ESA cancelled, and refunded, just prior to you buying the car? (It could take a while for Tesla's system to process the request and get updated.) This lines up with Tesla telling you that the warranty/ESA ended at about the mileage you bought the car at.

Reactions: Akikiki
So it sounds like the original owner of the car purchased the ESA, which isn't a warranty, though maybe things work differently in Norway.

Any chance the original owner submitted to have the ESA cancelled, and refunded, just prior to you buying the car? (It could take a while for Tesla's system to process the request and get updated.) This lines up with Tesla telling you that the warranty/ESA ended at about the mileage you bought the car at.

i am not sure, you might be right, but they stated that this warranty was the "new car warranty" that comes with the used cars from tesla. However this car has never been trough teslas used inventory as far as i know. It has had three owners (me the third), and the first owner sold it trough a local dealership called "voldenbil" in Norway. The other service staff from my prevoius services this year told me the car had an extended warranty that the first owner had bought. That warranty option doesn't exist anymore, and thats why i think the service staff at this place confused it with another warranty. It seems to me that they dont have any distinct numbers on what warranty the car is under. I am trying to resolve this with tesla now though.

I stand by my initial post. I'm not trying to piss you off, but if we take what you know, what you have reported here, it stays your warranty has expired.

The initial normal warranty is 4 year/50,000 miles/83,000km. The ESA extends another 4years/50,000miles/83,000km. Which ever comes first years or miles/km. That's a total, of 8 years/1000,000/166,000km. You did not say what year the car is, but that's less an issue. P85+ came out in 2013, 7 years ago. So you are still 1 year inside the 8 year warranty, right?

You said, "i am not sure, you might be right, but they stated that this warranty was the "new car warranty" that comes with the used cars from tesla." That could be accurate/true. The first owner may have purchased the ESA at time of car purchase or right after car purchase. (Many of us, like myself, did that.) And service staff was right when they said that's why it had a warranty up to the 166,000km time, but after that's its run out.

You said, "The other service staff from my previous services this year told me the car had an extended warranty that the first owner had bought. That warranty option doesn't exist anymore". Correct, that car does not qualify for you to purchase the ESA, because it went through a non-Tesla dealership. For years, the Tesla policy was we could not purchase the ESA if we bought the car from a dealership.

And you said you bought it used but it was not bought from Tesla used. Tesla had a 4 year/50,000mile/83,000km warranty when purchased from them. They also offered on some cars, (not on the same cars) a 2 year/100,000mile total warranty.
But that does not sound like your situation since you said, it was not a Tesla used car from Tesla.

You said when you bought the car it had 162,000km. Seven months later, - surely you have added at least 5,000km and that would put you over the miles/km warranty.

Looks to me like your car is out of warranty because miles have exceed.

Ok, but why did they still do service on my car if the warranty had been exceeded at 16000km 4 times? Why did all the other staff at all the other services tell me that the warranty would last to 2021 and to 200000km? You get what i am saying right? It has been FIXED for FREE for the last 7 months until now, and they claim that the warranty ran out before i even bought the car. That does not make sense at all, it doesn't add up.

I am sorry if my explanations are hard to understand, my english isn't that great.

Why? Goodwill. We hear about it less and less these days. But for a long time it was common. Tesla has reached a point with work waiting or customers needing appointments where they simply can't do it all. So, they do less for free. But there's been many people that got paid for work done for free. I think it still goes on, but SC staff tell them not to brag about it, because they don't want more people showing up and being mad when they are charged.

What do you care, why that they are fixing it for free? Are you complaining because they fix some things for free and won't fix other more expensive things for free?

Why? Goodwill. We hear about it less and less these days. But for a long time it was common. Tesla has reached a point with work waiting or customers needing appointments where they simply can't do it all. So, they do less for free. But there's been many people that got paid for work done for free. I think it still goes on, but SC staff tell them not to brag about it, because they don't want more people showing up and being mad when they are charged.

What do you care, why that they are fixing it for free? Are you complaining because they fix some things for free and won't fix other more expensive things for free?

You really don’t get what I am saying... this was not goodwill, this was warranty. They said it was warranty, they have told be several times the car has been under warranty. They have fixed air condition, door handles, front trunk seals, interior issues etc. they would never done that on goodwill. If so they would say it was goodwill but they didn’t, they said it was warranty. And that the car had a man extended warranty.