Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU upgrade question; is it possible to add XM?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand that with the MCU2 upgrade, if you get the radio option, it will include XM regardless of if the original part had XM. The difference of course being that the non-xm cars won't have an XM radio antennae.

Is it possible to put an XM antennae anywhere and leave the other end where the new radio would go? And by possible, I mean not outrageously difficult. I'm thinking something like SiriusXM NGVA3 Magnetic Vehicle Antenna Mount for sale online | eBay tucked right in the corner of the a pillar and windscreen vent.

I've got a metal-roof early 2016 90D without the fancy radio, if it makes a difference.

My car is in the shop due to 2nd MCU1 screen failure so now I‘ve decided to get the MCU2 with the radio option. I too don’t have the sunroof (which means my car didn’t come with an XM antenna) but I’ve been told the XM antenna for the new MCU2 and radio is built into the unit and doesn’t require an external XM antenna. That said your roof isn’t magnetic (it’s aluminum not steel) so a magnetic antenna mount won’t work with your car.

Just wait for your screen to fail and then upgrade to the MCU2 with radio ... problem solved.