Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1, HW3 on the way question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
Just had this pop into mind. I’m currently MCU1/AP2 MS17. Back in March I purchased FSD which will get me the updated HW3, at the “discounted” price back then. My understanding is that MCU works separately but in conjunction with the MCU. That being said, will the “old” MCU1 be able to handle the faster processing speeds that HW3 puts out?
As it is my MCU1 is starting to lag during navigation, tells me to make a turn just as I’m passed the turning spot.
Thoughts?

Hi all,
Just had this pop into mind. I’m currently MCU1/AP2 MS17. Back in March I purchased FSD which will get me the updated HW3, at the “discounted” price back then. My understanding is that MCU works separately but in conjunction with the MCU. That being said, will the “old” MCU1 be able to handle the faster processing speeds that HW3 puts out?
As it is my MCU1 is starting to lag during navigation, tells me to make a turn just as I’m passed the turning spot.
Thoughts?

I also have mcuv1 and this lag isn't normal. My nav runs normally. I'm assuming you've restarted?

I also have mcuv1 and this lag isn't normal. My nav runs normally. I'm assuming you've restarted?
I have restarted, no help. The only thing that does help is deleting my navigation history. Aside from the delayed navigation, my release notes take a long time to display after an update. This tell me MCU1 is at max capacity memory wise?

Hi all,

AFAIK, the only communication that occurs between the MCU and the AP computer is:
  • Sending camera streaming data to the MCU for dashcam purposes (which won't be any harder with HW3 than with HW2.5).
  • Getting software updates from the MCU (this is reportedly the part that doesn't work on MCU1 yet).
  • Sending vector images of cars to show the dashboard.
  • Sending messages about when AP is turned on/off and NoAP is turned on/off for chime reasons.
  • Asking the navigation system which path to follow when faced with an exit ramp.
None of those things should be any more complicated when HW3 is providing the data than when HW2.5 is providing it, so I can't see any reason why the MCU would matter.

Hi all,
Thoughts?
Your emmc is starting to go. If you are under wwarranty, have them check it. If not, PM me and we can fix it.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
AFAIK, the only communication that occurs between the MCU and the AP computer is:
  • Sending camera streaming data to the MCU for dashcam purposes (which won't be any harder with HW3 than with HW2.5).
  • Getting software updates from the MCU (this is reportedly the part that doesn't work on MCU1 yet).
  • Sending vector images of cars to show the dashboard.
  • Sending messages about when AP is turned on/off and NoAP is turned on/off for chime reasons.
  • Asking the navigation system which path to follow when faced with an exit ramp.
None of those things should be any more complicated when HW3 is providing the data than when HW2.5 is providing it, so I can't see any reason why the MCU would matter.

After thinking about it more, I realized why the MCU might matter. The eMMC on MCU hardware stays almost completely full, and the HW3 firmware blobs are likely to be significantly larger than the HW2/2.5 firmware blobs. :/

Reactions: Gt1948