Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Homelink stuck “getting ready to program”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Won't work if it's used. Service guy just told me there are some things that once paired/programmed to a car, can't be moved to another car. ebay is full of used Telsa items that simply can't be used if they have already been paired or programmed to a car - key fobs, Homelink modules, and MCUs are in this batch (I'm trying to swap my MCU2 in my MS with the MCU1 in my MX and they just said "nope, can't do it".

Of course I think this is bologna. They own the programming and code for all of this hardware and could easily swap and reprogram - they just don't want us running around buying used parts and they don't make $$ on the repairs/upgrades. This is just another Elon Musk way of sucking more $$ out of Tesla owners, and we keep coming back for more!
I know what they're talking about. Usually the firmware for the used part doesn't match the firmware for the old part. It happened with my used onboard charger. Spent $300 instead of $3000 and installed it myself...pushed new firmware and boom...fixed the charger.