Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

can't program homelink and liftmaster security+ w/ myq

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a homelink module installed and it's driving me crazy trying to program this thing.

Following the setup instructions for standard mode, my MYLR never blinks its lights when I click the remote. I've tried it dozens of times. I've tried holding the button for 30+ seconds, I've tried holding for 2 seconds and repeating, I've tried it pointing at different parts of the bumper, I've tried it with the frunk open and closed. I tried it with my (garage door opener compatible) led light removed. I turned power off to the opener. headlights never blink. And I tried d-mode, which says it's programmed, but doesn't work.

The opener is a liftmaster 8165w with security+ 2.0 and myq/wifi. I've also put new batteries in the remote.

any thoughts?

Just got a homelink module installed and it's driving me crazy trying to program this thing.

Following the setup instructions for standard mode, my MYLR never blinks its lights when I click the remote. I've tried it dozens of times. I've tried holding the button for 30+ seconds, I've tried holding for 2 seconds and repeating, I've tried it pointing at different parts of the bumper, I've tried it with the frunk open and closed. I tried it with my (garage door opener compatible) led light removed. I turned power off to the opener. headlights never blink. And I tried d-mode, which says it's programmed, but doesn't work.

The opener is a liftmaster 8165w with security+ 2.0 and myq/wifi. I've also put new batteries in the remote.

any thoughts?
The trick is to program using a 3rd party remote. I used this one: https://a.co/d/3B18wnu

Hope this helps.

The trick is to program using a 3rd party remote. I used this one: https://a.co/d/3B18wnu

Hope this helps.

So I ended up ordering a chamberlain bridge kit, which it seems a few other people have had success with, along with a new OEM 893LM. I programmed the 893LM first, and tried reprogramming the Y with it - and it worked almost instantly (light flashed in like a second, hitting learn/continue was pretty instantaneous), with 3 garage door openers. No moving opener around, no opening frunk, no taking out garage door LED, etc, etc. 🤦‍♂️

Given I tried with OEM 893LMs first, with new batteries, I have no idea what the deal is, or what the takeaway for others struggling with this, other than try everything? ha.

So I ended up ordering a chamberlain bridge kit, which it seems a few other people have had success with, along with a new OEM 893LM. I programmed the 893LM first, and tried reprogramming the Y with it - and it worked almost instantly (light flashed in like a second, hitting learn/continue was pretty instantaneous), with 3 garage door openers. No moving opener around, no opening frunk, no taking out garage door LED, etc, etc. 🤦‍♂️

Given I tried with OEM 893LMs first, with new batteries, I have no idea what the deal is, or what the takeaway for others struggling with this, other than try everything? ha.
I actually tried the chamberlain bridge kit before the 3rd party remote which didn't work for me. I guess it all depends on the model of the Liftmaster opener....so frustrating!

Reactions: poundsand
Any luck with this?

I have a 23 X that came with homelink. Programmed and works perfectly fine with my liftmaster.

Just installed homelink on my 22 Y. My issue is a bit different. I can't program successfully, lights blink and all. But it doesn't work. I put in a service request and mobile service came out the next day. Reset everything and tried again, no luck.

I've just ordered an OEM remote from liftmaster and will try again when it arrives.

Any luck with this?

I have a 23 X that came with homelink. Programmed and works perfectly fine with my liftmaster.

Just installed homelink on my 22 Y. My issue is a bit different. I can't program successfully, lights blink and all. But it doesn't work. I put in a service request and mobile service came out the next day. Reset everything and tried again, no luck.

I've just ordered an OEM remote from liftmaster and will try again when it arrives.
Should be I can program successfully, headlights blink, setup completes, but pressing activate does not open my garage.