Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 SIM Location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2017 UK spec Model X which is upgraded to MCU2 and HW3 from Tesla. This vehicle is now in a gray market which is why I am looking to change the SIM with a local SIM card that will work with any APN.

What I want to know is the location of the SIM card in MCU2. Is it onboard behind the screen like in US cars? Is it eSIM? (Hopefully not!) I read somewhere that it might be behind glovebox near autopilot3 computer?

Prior to MCU2 upgrade, this 2017 Model X had MCU1 with SIM extender right below the MCU unit.

Any ideas and help on SIM card location will be highly appreciated. Thanks

Hi
from what I have heard the LTE modem in inside the MCU2, connected via what looks like a m2 connector, they are all the same for M3 MY and MCU2's ... It also looks like its an eSim, but I have seen versions of the board with soldered on sim slot instead of the eSim chip .

you can actualy see location here

I had to take the MCU2 out. Open it and saw the SIM card slot on the board. This is a UK car and it had a physical SIM slot, not eSIM.
Dear Mr Taimur
I have a 2019 model x brought it from germany to lebanon and need a different Sim to be able to use navigation.
I myself got stuck with what to do.
can u please send us some pictures of the procedure?
Any idea how to recognise if you have a MCU1 or MCU2?
Thanks
Riad

Dear Mr Taimur
I have a 2019 model x brought it from germany to lebanon and need a different Sim to be able to use navigation.
I myself got stuck with what to do.
can u please send us some pictures of the procedure?
Any idea how to recognise if you have a MCU1 or MCU2?
Thanks
Riad
Hello Riad. Yes I can help you with that. Give me a day to take photos and get back to you.