Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 upgrade downsides?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the instrument panel screen on my 2014 S85 is bubbling, I’m planning to (finally!) go ahead with the MCU2 upgrade. I realize that I will lose FM radio but is there any other functionality that will be affected?
I seem to remember that, a few years ago, there was some issue with the backup camera (too dark in low light). Was that ever fixed?
Thanks for any insight.
— Mike

Reactions: JAlbury825
What is the latest version of Software do you after your upgrades are complete, do you still get latest map and software updates? or do you lag behind several months?
Here is the most recent I received, and Ive had two software updates and one game update since I had MCU2 installed a month ago (April 24, 2023)

Screenshot_20230521_212026_Tesla.jpg

Reactions: Tesomega
Upvote 0
I just had my 2013 Model S upgraded. The incentive was that my instrument cluster went dark and the MCU was slow and poorly responsive.

I think it’s a fantastic upgrade.

However, I’ve encountered a problem. It seems as though voice activation no longer works. Once I hear the beep, I get an error: “Connection error. Try again.”

I’m not sure what this entails, but I have LTE reception (I can stream audio, movies, and use maps). My Bluetooth is connected to my phone (I can make calls using the dial pad). I receive notification of text messages.

I reset using the two scroll wheels. That didn’t work.

Any ideas?
Definitely worth talking to service center about. It should work better than before.

Upvote 0
I just had my 2013 Model S upgraded. The incentive was that my instrument cluster went dark and the MCU was slow and poorly responsive.

I think it’s a fantastic upgrade.

However, I’ve encountered a problem. It seems as though voice activation no longer works. Once I hear the beep, I get an error: “Connection error. Try again.”

I’m not sure what this entails, but I have LTE reception (I can stream audio, movies, and use maps). My Bluetooth is connected to my phone (I can make calls using the dial pad). I receive notification of text messages.

I reset using the two scroll wheels. That didn’t work.

Any ideas?
The first thing I noticed after getting my '15 MS was that the microphone for calls and commands was sub-par. People I called said it sounded like my windows were down when they weren't. So that won't be helped with any software update, as it's just older hardware.
Would love to upgrade that if it's even possible.

Upvote 0
The first thing I noticed after getting my '15 MS was that the microphone for calls and commands was sub-par. People I called said it sounded like my windows were down when they weren't. So that won't be helped with any software update, as it's just older hardware.
Would love to upgrade that if it's even possible.

I have a December 2014 build, probably very similar to yours, and don't have any problems with the microphone. Never have. There may be something wrong with the connectivity of your microphone. It's pretty easy to check, if you're at DIY kind of guy. If not you could always ask the service center.

Upvote 0
I have a December 2014 build, probably very similar to yours, and don't have any problems with the microphone. Never have. There may be something wrong with the connectivity of your microphone. It's pretty easy to check, if you're at DIY kind of guy. If not you could always ask the service center.
I've done several DIY projects: replaced a broken gear paddle in a door handle, swapped instrument clusters, upgraded dash trim, etc...
As for the mic, I figured if it were a connectivity issue it just wouldn't work at all or at least intermittently. But it does, just sounds bad to those I'm talking to.
I can hear them fine. They just get a lot of exterior noise from my end.
So I didn't think that would be a bad mic, just a low quality one.
I'm more than willing to replace it or repair it if that would improve thngs.

Upvote 0
I've done several DIY projects: replaced a broken gear paddle in a door handle, swapped instrument clusters, upgraded dash trim, etc...
As for the mic, I figured if it were a connectivity issue it just wouldn't work at all or at least intermittently. But it does, just sounds bad to those I'm talking to.
I can hear them fine. They just get a lot of exterior noise from my end.
So I didn't think that would be a bad mic, just a low quality one.
I'm more than willing to replace it or repair it if that would improve thngs.

It is so easy to pull that module out, it's probably a good idea to do so and see if the connectors are corroded. It could be something as simple as that. Or, as you say, it could be a defective microphone. And, pretty easy to replace. I'm guessing one on eBay wouldn't be too terribly expensive. Good luck!

Reactions: ChooseFreedom
Upvote 0